Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-15-2017, 11:01 AM   #1091
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
As long as Broome is the guy he's advertised to be and the guy that played game 2, we are going to be better. I just want the bigger games to get here already so we can see it in action.

I still dont see a ton of minutes for all the freshman as we continue. 10 man rotations dont happen very often. 7 is the sweet spot without fouls forcing your hand.

KW probably gets the most minutes from the guards and then brooks and scott trade off depending on opponent and game style. Jenifer maybe 10-15 but I say KW has a chance for more minutes as he can play the 2 and 3.

and i mean this for the good opponents. everybody is gonna play in the blow outs.
I know the rotation is going to shrink I agree. I think we will have at least 8 guys with 10+ minutes in big games...not 7. I would probably bet on 9 more than I would 7. Our starters will all creep towards 25-30 minutes. Cronin will only use guys he can trust not to make mistakes or can produce. We will see who those players are. He will WANT to have a bigger rotation so he can keep everyone fresh and keep pushing pace and press...but he won't be able to if he can't trust player A or B to not make dumb mistakes.

I think Tre, Nysier, Keith, and Justin all have a shot at 10+ minutes in big games....but they have to play smart. If we can play with intensity like we did against WCU...we can play 9 guys and stay fresh and that will be a huge plus. We don't have to get 35 minutes out of anyone unless Cronin has no choice. If we are pushing pace they will all get tired and hopefully a fresh player will be better than a tired one. In the past that has not been the case.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 11:11 AM   #1092
RDCat
Banned

RDCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I know the rotation is going to shrink I agree. I think we will have at least 8 guys with 10+ minutes in big games...not 7. I would probably bet on 9 more than I would 7. Our starters will all creep towards 25-30 minutes. Cronin will only use guys he can trust not to make mistakes or can produce. We will see who those players are. He will WANT to have a bigger rotation so he can keep everyone fresh and keep pushing pace and press...but he won't be able to if he can't trust player A or B to not make dumb mistakes.

I think Tre, Nysier, Keith, and Justin all have a shot at 10+ minutes in big games....but they have to play smart. If we can play with intensity like we did against WCU...we can play 9 guys and stay fresh and that will be a huge plus. We don't have to get 35 minutes out of anyone unless Cronin has no choice. If we are pushing pace they will all get tired and hopefully a fresh player will be better than a tired one. In the past that has not been the case.
I think a lot depends on how much we employ the press. If we move in the direction of WVU on press utilization, then we could see 10-12 playing. But, with this team, it certainly wouldn't surprise me to definitely see at least 9-10 on a regular basis. It's nice to know that we have the depth to go to 12 if we need to!
RDCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:14 PM   #1093
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
gotta chill on the 12 deep. outside of williams can we say any of the freshman are clearly ahead of where scott was last year? go look at what happened to scott and brooks' minutes last year down the stretch.

coaches find the best 7-8 and ride them. thats just how it goes.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #1094
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
gotta chill on the 12 deep. outside of williams can we say any of the freshman are clearly ahead of where scott was last year? go look at what happened to scott and brooks' minutes last year down the stretch.

That was last year with a slow pace. With the tv timeouts etc...there were plenty of chances to get guys a breather. If we are pressing and playing up tempo...we will need the bench. If we go back to snail ball we can get by with 7 players.

I don't see that happening unless we have a lot of guys who make a lot of mistakes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:39 PM   #1095
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
That was last year with a slow pace. With the tv timeouts etc...there were plenty of chances to get guys a breather. If we are pressing and playing up tempo...we will need the bench. If we go back to snail ball we can get by with 7 players.

I don't see that happening unless we have a lot of guys who make a lot of mistakes.
last year we had a 6 man, but im not talking about us. im talking about college ball in general.

college kids can play 30 minutes a game without a problem. you aren't gonna sit your better players just to give others PT. the best player dominate the minutes.
Old 11-15-2017, 12:55 PM   #1096
RDCat
Banned

RDCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Why are we chilling? The rotation was 10 deep last year with Brooks and Quadri being 9 and 10 and each playing about 20% of the 40 minute game. Brooks averaged 8 minutes per game for the season, yet 10 minutes per game in the 5 postseason games down the stretch....four of which were 10, 11, 13, and 12 minutes. Seems like a bigger role down the stretch to me.

This year's roster is deeper and much more talented. Like Waterhead said, the pace will be faster, the press will increase. Your generalizations won't hold true this year.....in my opinion.
RDCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 12:56 PM   #1097
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
I haven't read the whole thread, but I think 9 guys will play in every game. Possibly 10 if Moore is given a chance in the 1st half of some bigger games to see if he can knock down a couple.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2017, 01:09 PM   #1098
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCat View Post
Why are we chilling? The rotation was 10 deep last year with Brooks and Quadri being 9 and 10 and each playing about 20% of the 40 minute game. Brooks averaged 8 minutes per game for the season, yet 10 minutes per game in the 5 postseason games down the stretch....four of which were 10, 11, 13, and 12 minutes. Seems like a bigger role down the stretch to me.
but it wasn't. the bench played more in those early conference tournament games because 3 games in 3 days and we had comfortable leads.

between feb 1st and march brooks nor scott played more than 10 minutes in a single game. scott reached 10 twice, brooks never. scott played a total of 7 minutes the last 4 games of the season. there are times when you have to use the bench more than you'd like, and of course its nice to have capable players there when doing so, but that doesn't make them a part of the real rotation.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:11 PM   #1099
cincrulz11
Epic Member

and im going to hard pass on nsosome and diarra being much more talented than brooks and scott as freshman.

there are more freshman than last year but as a top 3 from each group im taking cumberland/brooks/scott every time.
Old 11-15-2017, 01:19 PM   #1100
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
but it wasn't. the bench played more in those early conference tournament games because 3 games in 3 days and we had comfortable leads.

between feb 1st and march brooks nor scott played more than 10 minutes in a single game. scott reached 10 twice, brooks never. scott played a total of 7 minutes the last 4 games of the season. there are times when you have to use the bench more than you'd like, and of course its nice to have capable players there when doing so, but that doesn't make them a part of the real rotation.
Brooks hurt his knee.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote