Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-01-2020, 11:24 AM   #31
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The college season is also a big question mark. If there isn’t a season, I’m not sure what he gains from coming back. They Might not even be able to practice. Schools starts in August, (next month) and right now that isn’t looking good.
Seriously? You know people gain knowledge and build skills in college, right? Skills that can help you earn a paycheck later. Williams isn't just an athlete.

If the game gets put on hold you can still be a college student, go to class, and all the rest.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 11:48 AM   #32
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Seriously? You know people gain knowledge and build skills in college, right? Skills that can help you earn a paycheck later. Williams isn't just an athlete.

If the game gets put on hold you can still be a college student, go to class, and all the rest.
Seriously? We are talking about basketball on a basketball message board. We are talking about his basketball career. Thanks for telling me he is more than an athlete and about all the things college offers. Get off your high horse
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:41 PM   #33
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
No high horse. It's just common sense about why he'd want to come back.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 12:44 PM   #34
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
The travel ban isnt a hard and fast rule. It is being re-evaluated every 2 weeks.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:52 PM   #35
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
No high horse. It's just common sense about why he'd want to come back.
Not if he wants to achieve his goal of playing basketball professionally. I honestly doubt he is worried about going to class and learning life skills more than figuring out a way to achieve his goal. But maybe he is.

The original point was as the season looks less and less likely, I could see him leaning toward something else.

I hope he comes back and there is a season. I’d love it. Think he will be in the conversation for conference POY. He would also make our team a lot better.
Old 07-01-2020, 12:54 PM   #36
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick Bateman View Post
The travel ban isnt a hard and fast rule. It is being re-evaluated every 2 weeks.
Yep, and other countries are playing sports already. He could find a place that paid him if he wanted.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #37
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I don’t think a free place to stay is the deciding factor in his decision.

Who said there wasn’t going to be an nba/ g league season? They are far more likely to have a season than college in my opinion. G league already doesn’t have fans. Not sure why they can’t have a season if they limit travel. Nba already talked about starting Christmas or later. Nba is the most likely season.
I didnt explain it very well. We dont know if there will be anything at all next year. If NBA happens, G-League isnt guaranteed. Idk, I know baseball is a shit show right now but im just thinking something similar. Run the big money sport (MLB) and dont do the one that is going to cost more money than make....Idk, just brainstorming.

But lets say keith decides to go G-League and the G-League doesnt happen. He still needs to live somewhere right? And eat and everything else that costs money in the real world. Is G-League going to pay if there is no season?

But if he comes back, regardless of if there is a season or not, how is this hurting him? He lives and eats and gets a the $ hundred or so they get every week, while still getting his degree. I know I know he may NEVER use it if basketball works out. But the uncertainty of not having anything going on should, in my opinion, make that decision very easy for next year.

Im just thinking more along the lines of...We dont know the future at all right now. We dont know if or when or how bad the 2nd wave will be. Or if it comes back even harder in the fall and winter. If that happens, there wont be any sports again.

Last edited by itsamemario; 07-01-2020 at 01:04 PM.
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2020, 01:19 PM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
I didnt explain it very well. We dont know if there will be anything at all next year. If NBA happens, G-League isnt guaranteed. Idk, I know baseball is a shit show right now but im just thinking something similar. Run the big money sport (MLB) and dont do the one that is going to cost more money than make....Idk, just brainstorming.

But lets say keith decides to go G-League and the G-League doesnt happen. He still needs to live somewhere right? And eat and everything else that costs money in the real world. Is G-League going to pay if there is no season?

But if he comes back, regardless of if there is a season or not, how is this hurting him? He lives and eats and gets a the $ hundred or so they get every week, while still getting his degree. I know I know he may NEVER use it if basketball works out. But the uncertainty of not having anything going on should, in my opinion, make that decision very easy for next year.

Im just thinking more along the lines of...We dont know the future at all right now. We dont know if or when or how bad the 2nd wave will be. Or if it comes back even harder in the fall and winter. If that happens, there wont be any sports again.
Living arrangements are the least of his worries. He’s 21-22. Worst case he moves back home.

The way it hurts him is, if there isn’t a college season, he gets 1 year older without playing basketball. Which hurts his goal of playing in the nba. You think he wants to live on campus if he isn’t able to play basketball? he didn’t come here for the academics.

If he left, he could sign with an agent and train and get him better prepared to achieve his goal of the nba. Or go play overseas and make money in one of the countries that is playing. Not saying either is right but more why he would choose to leave
Old 07-01-2020, 01:24 PM   #39
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post

If he signs a g-league contract, I would think they have to honor that contract and there would be writing in there if there isn’t a season. The nba at the earliest would start Christmas Day, and would most likely start next year. Lot could change by then. I doubt they will not play another season. Eventually these leagues are going to play.

Also, if he signs with an agent, they can pay him until he gets a job. Think your putting too much thought into the living situation.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 07-01-2020 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-01-2020, 01:30 PM   #40
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Also, I think these colleges have to find a way to play fball and bball. Financially they can’t miss the whole season. Even if it’s no fans, or 1/3 fans. They need the money. Not sure how the tv contracts pay I’d they don’t play. Even if they have to push both seasons to the start of 2021, I think they will try their hardest to play