Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Bearcat Football

Old 12-09-2012, 02:22 PM   #41
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Let's be realistic about who Tommy Tuberville is. He is a name coach who's chance to make a name for himself is behind him. He coached and succeeded at the highest level. He is 58 years old. From what I understand his wife has family here. Not sure how close or if she was ever from this area. He wasn't completely happy at Texas Tech. He and Whit have a history. There's a good chance he made this move because he wants to plant roots somewhere where the pressure isn't huge and his family is comfortable. The likelihood a big program comes calling again is probably small, especially compared to a young up-and-coming coach that we've hired the last three stints.

With that said, he is a proven coach, should be able to recruit at a higher level and gives the program a face. He's as close to stability as possible in a mid-major football school. He's not a rah-rah guy like our last two. That is the one thing I'll miss, but as long as he gets the most out of his team, I'll be happy.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:45 PM   #42
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
He has a very businessman CEO style that comes off well. He looks all business so hopefully he can talk with some of our big corporations to donate.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:34 PM   #43
mplebanon
Elite Member

mplebanon is on a distinguished road
I could have quoted and responded to multiple posts. Over and over it's been cited that the football program has improved drastically, been ranked, gone to a big time bowl, attracted good coaches, become relevant........and the b-ball program is doing the same.

And my point is..........

I read over and over UC fans complaining about the lack of attendance at both sporting events.

If it isn't happening yet, I just don't see it happening. Cincinnati has too many sporting attractions. UC fans don't want to hear it. And I'm in no way happy about it.

As previously said......I just think it's the nature of the beast in Cincinnati.

And having said that, any sporting event wanting fans dollars better do all they can to become and remain relevant, and continue playing at a high level. Because if you trip up and lose that fan interest (like UC basketball had happen with the Zimpher fiasco), it's hard to get it back. Look at the Bungles. I think they have a pretty good team now, but they still struggle to sell out at times. Mike Brown has Bungalized the entire city to some extent. But I think Castellini has won over the fans, OVER TIME, with many superior moves for the Reds.

And having brought up the Reds, maybe there is a chance IN TIME that the fans embrace UC football. But they better get that conference affiliation thing fixed pronto, for them to even matter.

Again, not trying to be a negative Nelly, but simply a realist.
mplebanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:43 PM   #44
psax889906
Epic Member

psax889906 will become famous soon enoughpsax889906 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to psax889906
High risk, high reward strategy.

People have been asking for a 'vision' from President Ono and AD Babcock over the past couple weeks... well, it's beginning to unfold.

If you want different results, go with a different approach. That's what Whit has done here and he has been incredibly transparent throughout the entire (swift) process. I'm extremely encouraged by the willingness of the administration from the top down to take this risk.

Bringing in a national name has clearly already infused this fan base with an energy it hasn't had since Kelly was here, imo. There have been some arguments on here about UC football always being second billing to UC basketball, or never ascending to a consistently national level. Time will tell. But, I don't think you can deny that when you take a step back and look at the last decade without any biases or reservations you will see a steady growth of the UC football program. Gains have not been massive, but they have been steady. Regardless of connections, tell me ten years ago a coach who had been previously named NATIONAL COACH OF THE YEAR would leave a Big XII job for Cincinnati. I don't care about the circumstances. That speaks volumes in and of itself.

Whit Babcock said it best,

"Now is the time, this is the place."

Bearcat football has come a long way. I'm excited to see it continue to grow.
psax889906 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #45
User Name:

User Name: is on a distinguished road
Tuberville took recruits to dinner at TT, said he had to go to the bathroom, and never returned...
http://texastech.247sports.com/Artic...r-table-106322
User Name: is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 10:37 AM   #46
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by User Name: View Post
Tuberville took recruits to dinner at TT, said he had to go to the bathroom, and never returned...
http://texastech.247sports.com/Artic...r-table-106322
Yeah, I heard about this. I have a couple thoughts. First, he should have finished dinner but I get why he left. Recruits were and would be asking questions that he couldn't answer truthfully. What's worse, walking out on dinner or lying directly to a kids face? He would get killed for either one and I don't think one is worse than the other. He could have made up a story to explain why he had to leave but that would be an obvious lie the next day too. It was definitely not an ideal situation, but if you are looking to get the hell out of Texas Tech, wouldn't you answer the phone from your agent too when it kept blowing up?

Second, I really don't care. I don't expect coaches to "do the right thing" when it comes to anything involving a job. Your job is to win football games and make sure your players are on schedule to graduate. Look, if you don't think recruits understand that coaches are more than likely NOT going to be there when they graduate, then you are fooling yourself or they are just plain blind. Paul Dehner Jr had an interesting stat in his mailbag about the number of recruits that have the coach who recruited them still their coach when they graduate. In 93 out of 124 programs, not one current player saw the same coach from recruit to graduation. Kids better not be picking schools solely on the coach in this day and age of college football.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 12:10 PM   #47
Stealyfan

Stealyfan is on a distinguished road
From an Auburn fan of Tubbs . . . .

You have a great coach, one many Auburn fans and alumni still praise for his work at Auburn. Face it, this is a big business and Auburn PTB tried to screw with him and he won - hands down.

Cincy is in good hands and even if he stays there a few years and moves on - enjoy the time and the fun he'll bring. Bearcat football is riding high and he may stay there to retirement or ESPN play by announcing. Who cares.

Ride the pony while the ticket is good.

. . .a Cincy native in AUburn
Stealyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 01:58 PM   #48
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
So apparently the reports of this are not true according to both UC and Coach Tuberville. I tend to believe UC and Coach Tuberville, not because I am a fan (and I am) but because the time line that Whit gave makes sense and doesn't jive with what the recruit said. You would think, if this were true, all 8-10 recruits would be talking about it.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:39 PM   #49
UCBearcats
Banned

UCBearcats is on a distinguished road
So I read somewhere this morning that Whit and Tommy still haven't discussed the financial details of his contract. How is that even possible?? I'm thrilled that Tommy T is here but it still seems a little fishy to me that he's even here to begin with. He must have really been dying to get out of TTU.
UCBearcats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #50
Cpaw

Cpaw is on a distinguished road
this is not unusual. I am sure they have a MOU (memorandum of understanding) in place that is the framework for the contract.

Fortune Favors the Bold
Cpaw is offline   Reply With Quote