Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #201
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I still think he's going to be bothered a little bit by longer and faster defenders but at this point I don't trust any of our other shooters (not named Cumberland) any more than I do Jenifer.
thats cause we dont have any lol. i think moore is a better shooter than he's shown, but outside of those 3 guys nobody else should ever shoot a 3.

if broome has any more 5 shot games and 4 are 3's he's might as well just sit out the whole game. thats not his game and its a waste if he plays like that.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:29 AM   #202
ervins84
Elite Member

ervins84 will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to ervins84 Send a message via Skype™ to ervins84
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
16 years as a head coach vs a coach with 8 games or w/e as a head coach. It showed.

I'm not sure what kind of coach Steele will be in the future, but he's clearly a 1st year guy. He lets those guards settle for far too many bad 3's. Goodin and Marshall have taken almost as many as Cumberland but they shoot 22%. It was a clear problem for them coming in and we just stood back and let them fire away.
Steele may be good. May not. Hard to know right now. Best part though, is he could be bad. And if he is, it probably will take them a few years to truly realize which can wreck a program. They may even be more inclined to be more patient than other schools, when you consider how they've hit on the right hire every single time from Pete-Thad-Sean-Chris so they probably are going to give him some leeway.

It's really pretty abnormal how good they've been at finding the right guy. If he's not though, it can really set a program back and I don't think their fans realize just how quickly a shitty coach could wreck their program and return it to back to where they were. Even moreso in a league where they aren't out recruiting all of their competition or have a massive advantage in facilities.

Look at how far Memphis fell over the last few years. Anyone remember what happened at Mizz with Kim Anderson? Illinois with John Groce?

Those were all teams getting 1 and 2 seeds in tournaments during the prior coach's regime.

Last edited by ervins84; 12-09-2018 at 09:34 AM.
ervins84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #203
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
I'm sorry man, I can't agree with you and the stats prove that you're wrong. This isn't to say he didn't play his role decently last year but in our biggest competition he shouldn't have been started and I believe it lead us to losing multiple games we could have won.

In our 5 biggest games last year (the 5 ranked opponents we played) their stats are as followed:

Jennifer averaged 1.6 points, .4 rebounds, 2 assists, and 0 steals.

Broome averaged 11.4 points, 2 rebounds, 1.8 assists, and 1 steal.
No problem brother but we will have to agree to disagree. A few things I see as left out in your point. Who was the better team defender? Cane filled a very important role last year and this year. He is our instant offense. Much like a Vinny Johnson if your as old as I am lol. I have very little issue with you that Cane is the better offensive player but running the offense that Coach ran Jennifer was very good in his role. He got the Clarks,Evans, Washington and Cumberland their touches. It also allowed Mick a bunch of flexibility in how he was able to use Cane. A guy who needs the ball in his hands to be at his best. To say Cane's numbers would have transferred while playing with the other 4 starters may not have happened. Finding the right blend is very important. Just like this year with Williams. We didn't lose 5 games last year because Cane didn't start. I guess my point is a Coach must use his players to their strengths as well as how they relate to the team's needs. You can disagree with Mick in how he did it but without a 8 minute meltdown to end the season his way was very effective.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:35 AM   #204
cincrulz11
Epic Member

I think, and I know this is strange coming from me, that we should leave last year as last year. I had some left over frustrations from last year when this year started but now we are into december.

Jenifer is playing great, the team is playing much better than most expected, we just beat the crap out of the most hated team on the schedule, lets enjoy it!
Old 12-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #205
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Steele may be good. May not. Hard to know right now. Best part though, is he could be bad. And if he is, it probably will take them a few years to truly realize which can wreck a program. They may even be more inclined to be more patient than other schools, when you consider how they've hit on the right hire every single time from Pete-Thad-Sean-Chris so they probably are going to give him some leeway.

It's really pretty abnormal how good they've been at finding the right guy. If he's not though, it can really set a program back and I don't think their fans realize just how quickly a shitty coach could wreck their program and return it to back to where they were. Even moreso in a league where they aren't out recruiting all of their competition or have a massive advantage in facilities.

Look at how far Memphis fell over the last few years. Anyone remember what happened at Mizz with Kim Anderson? Illinois with John Groce?

Those were all teams getting 1 and 2 seeds in tournaments during the prior coach's regime.

cincinnati football when they hired tommy tubs
Old 12-09-2018, 10:32 AM   #206
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
thats cause we dont have any lol. i think moore is a better shooter than he's shown, but outside of those 3 guys nobody else should ever shoot a 3.

if broome has any more 5 shot games and 4 are 3's he's might as well just sit out the whole game. thats not his game and its a waste if he plays like that.
Broome did shoot 39% from 3 last year, which is a good enough rate to keep shooting. But he shouldn't be shooting 80% threes. If he has an open three I have no problem with him (or Williams or even Scott) taking it. But should be pushing to the basket and going for layups the majority of the time.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 10:40 AM   #207
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Broome did shoot 39% from 3 last year, which is a good enough rate to keep shooting. But he shouldn't be shooting 80% threes. If he has an open three I have no problem with him (or Williams or even Scott) taking it. But should be pushing to the basket and going for layups the majority of the time.

82 is just far too small of a sample size to count on when he's got 340 of them at sacred heart at 32%.

its fine if he's shooting wide open catch and release 3's off good ball movement but those should be the only ones he takes.

he's probably between a 30-34% shooter long term but that could easily be 28% for a season. he's got other skills, those are the ones he should be using.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #208
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
82 is just far too small of a sample size to count on when he's got 340 of them at sacred heart at 32%.

its fine if he's shooting wide open catch and release 3's off good ball movement but those should be the only ones he takes.

he's probably between a 30-34% shooter long term but that could easily be 28% for a season. he's got other skills, those are the ones he should be using.
If it could “easily” be 28, couldn’t it “easily” be 39?
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:07 AM   #209
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

A three year old sample when he had a much higher usage rate and was forcing up many more bad threes is worse then a small sample size of only 82. Three years is a lot of time to practice shooting threes.

He could just as well be a 40+% three point shooter as a 30% shooter.

I agree though that he should only be shooting in rythm open 3's. As long as he is doing that I have no problem unless his percentage stays below 30% after another 25-50 attempts.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:20 AM   #210
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
If it could “easily” be 28, couldn’t it “easily” be 39?

yes which is what he did last year. he got in a groove in the middle of the season and it pumped his percent up. he also ended the year 2-13 and if you add that with his 5-26 this year you have 18% over his last 39 3's.

you can shoot a very wide range of percents in 50-100 shot sample sizes. nothing wrong with losing confidence in a shot and relying on other aspects of your game if you've got them. cane hesitated on his last 2 3's yesterday, thats a guy that doesn't think its going to go in.

moore has to keep shooting through his slump, but cane can find other ways to contribute.