Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-09-2018, 11:22 AM   #211
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
A three year old sample when he had a much higher usage rate and was forcing up many more bad threes is worse then a small sample size of only 82. Three years is a lot of time to practice shooting threes.

He could just as well be a 40+% three point shooter as a 30% shooter.

I agree though that he should only be shooting in rythm open 3's. As long as he is doing that I have no problem unless his percentage stays below 30% after another 25-50 attempts.

i would bet the world he's not a 40+% shooter from 3 over a big sample size. those guys dont grow on trees.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:37 AM   #212
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
If it could “easily” be 28, couldn’t it “easily” be 39?
also if he attempts the same amount of 3's this year as last year and shoots 35% the rest of the way (which we would all take from him no doubt) it would bring his season total to 29%.
Old 12-09-2018, 11:57 AM   #213
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Our offense wasn't particularly good yesterday. It was actually pretty bad. We just destroyed them on the defensive end. It was our 3rd lowest PPP on the season and 2nd worst offensive game when adjusted for opponent.

It only looked solid in comparison to the awful crap xavier put out there. It was so fun watching xavier struggle so much on offense.
We didn’t shoot very well but I thought the plan looked about right. We could have done without a few of the threes we took but I doubt some of those were in the plan.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 11:59 AM   #214
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
82 is just far too small of a sample size to count on when he's got 340 of them at sacred heart at 32%.

its fine if he's shooting wide open catch and release 3's off good ball movement but those should be the only ones he takes.

he's probably between a 30-34% shooter long term but that could easily be 28% for a season. he's got other skills, those are the ones he should be using.
Cane had a nice stretch last year where he was hitting wide open threes. I'm going to guess that most of his threes at sacred heart weren't playing off the ball and being open shots off of passes so its hard to trust that percentage imo. I agree that he should have a green light in catch and release threes, but he shouldn't be forcing shots from beyond mid range. Mick said in one of his post games, I want to say after the game Cane was sent to the bench, that he didnt want Cane settling for outside shots, which honestly I thought was kind of funny based on his percentage he did hit last year and our offense's design to shoot the three and also tendency to settle for the three. Although I understand his point and that is Cane wasnt brought here nor are his strengths suited to camping out on the perimeter and shooting threes.

Last edited by david aka the TYZ; 12-09-2018 at 12:02 PM.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:12 PM   #215
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
i would bet the world he's not a 40+% shooter from 3 over a big sample size. those guys dont grow on trees.
At this point everyone not named Cumberland should shoot wide open 3s and obvious late clock attempts. I don’t include the 5s obviously
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:31 PM   #216
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
Cane had a nice stretch last year where he was hitting wide open threes. I'm going to guess that most of his threes at sacred heart weren't playing off the ball and being open shots off of passes so its hard to trust that percentage imo. I agree that he should have a green light in catch and release threes, but he shouldn't be forcing shots from beyond mid range. Mick said in one of his post games, I want to say after the game Cane was sent to the bench, that he didnt want Cane settling for outside shots, which honestly I thought was kind of funny based on his percentage he did hit last year and our offense's design to shoot the three and also tendency to settle for the three. Although I understand his point and that is Cane wasnt brought here nor are his strengths suited to camping out on the perimeter and shooting threes.

its ok to not be a 3 point shooter, especially in college. cane and keith aren't the best at it but theres nothing wrong with that. i'd much rather them use the strong aspects of their games.

i think about a guy like dion dixon who shot 500 3's here at 29%. the guy was a slasher not a shooter. he shot 180 3's as a sr at 26%.

the 3 is obviously important in todays game. Pop was just saying the other day how the game isn't beautiful anymore and first thing he looks at is how many 3's a team made. we play a little more old school here. its ok for cane and keith to mostly look to drive.
Old 12-09-2018, 01:52 PM   #217
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
its ok to not be a 3 point shooter, especially in college. cane and keith aren't the best at it but theres nothing wrong with that. i'd much rather them use the strong aspects of their games.

i think about a guy like dion dixon who shot 500 3's here at 29%. the guy was a slasher not a shooter. he shot 180 3's as a sr at 26%.

the 3 is obviously important in todays game. Pop was just saying the other day how the game isn't beautiful anymore and first thing he looks at is how many 3's a team made. we play a little more old school here. its ok for cane and keith to mostly look to drive.
I agree, my point on Cane is he's probably a better set shooter than his numbers at Sacred Heart indicate. To your point, he's not using his strengths if he's standing around the perimeter waiting to shoot three's.

Keith at this point has very little business shooting jump shots. I realize you have to shoot some to keep a defense honest, but his shot does not look good at all.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 02:18 PM   #218
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by david aka the TYZ View Post
I agree, my point on Cane is he's probably a better set shooter than his numbers at Sacred Heart indicate. To your point, he's not using his strengths if he's standing around the perimeter waiting to shoot three's.

i agree if he only shot catch and shoot wide open ones he's probably better than 32%
Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #219
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
the dream is dead
9 assists 1 Turnover, about as good as a Pure PG can be.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 07:25 PM   #220
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
cumberland doesn't show up sometimes. he looks uninterested
Lol I love this take
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote