Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-10-2018, 08:52 AM   #251
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
I have to agree with you. I have surfed around and this site is not really much different then others. I think it goes in cycles. Was a bit disappointed with the lack of football chatter. This was a very nice season for Coach Fickell and team. In General most UC fans are Basketball first and Football second.

or basketball only. i think a decent amount of people from cincinnati either follow osu or just dont follow college football.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 08:56 AM   #252
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
In fact, I think there was another site that I believe used to be the preeminent (free) fan board for UC sports and that one seems to be a ghost town for basketball anymore. I think largely because it wanted to establish a referendum on negativity and in many cases just plain old criticism. That's not a reasonable thing to do to a fanbase.

Fans want to speak their minds. As long as they do it in a respectable way it's healthy. This site cleaned up a lot of that egregious riff raff a while back and it became a healthier place to vent. Keep in mind it's usually never the eternal optimist that gets the boot...it's almost always the eternal pessimist who can't vent in a more constructive way.
This is a good point. I wouldn't consider myself a optimist or pessimist. I am a nervous realist. I am a Cincinnati Sports fan who grew up supporting all the Cities teams. Like most things greed has helped create favorable advantages for some. We suffer from that in this City. The NFL with its hard salary cap offers some balance but it can't protect the fan from a greedy ownership. In baseball the larger markets have the edge and in College conference realignment has widened the gap between most programs. All in all it has made for a unhappy cranky fan base.

At the end of the day most fans find themselves in a place that is arguing is it Coaching or has the system set us up for failure. It is very hard to find a real level of expectation. That is why fans argue all the time. We are a fan base who's team has been to the top of the mountain. Presently the system has made it very difficult to achieve that kind of success. Hence the debate.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:01 AM   #253
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
or basketball only. i think a decent amount of people from cincinnati either follow osu or just dont follow college football.
your right. Actually a few years back you had to buy Football tickets to get Basketball seats if I'm not mistaken. They were using the popularity of the Basketball team to generate interest In Football. I always followed TOSU football and still do. I would root for them every Saturday they don't play UC. Have two that graduated from there. My son was a athlete there for 5 years. He is a lot like me he roots for UC but is a Buckeye fan as well.
Old 12-10-2018, 09:16 AM   #254
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
80 is still a small sample. coming in i thought he'd shoot between 30-35% this year, he's gonna have to kick it into gear just to reach the bottom of that range.

i thought jarron and jenifer would shoot somewhere in that range too. i can't believe how well cumberland is shooting it. he's been an ok not great 3 point shooter his first 2 years and i expected it to be tougher on him this year cause he shouldn't have any open looks but he's just draining them, and some of them pretty deep.

jenifer is at the same % as last year after 24 attempts, i still think he's going to be inconsistent cause its tough with that much arc on your shot, but if he can finish around 40% it would be wonderful.
The road is where 3 point percentages go to die. And thus far, we’ve only played one.

If jarron and jenifers percentages drop it’s going to be from road performances.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #255
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I have to agree with you. I have surfed around and this site is not really much different then others. I think it goes in cycles. Was a bit disappointed with the lack of football chatter. This was a very nice season for Coach Fickell and team. In General most UC fans are Basketball first and Football second.
I used to post a lot more on the football boards before I became a father. I married into a 6 year old stepson (awesome young man) and have a new baby girl (3 months old). I didn't get to watch as many games this year as I used to (I don't live in Cincy). So I basically told my wife I would pick one sport that I really didn't want to miss ANY action and that was UC basketball and she has been very good about that. I still get to watch other sports but I just don't want to miss any of our basketball games. I guess that puts me in "fair weather fan" territory for almost everything else right now.

I started at UC in Huggins first year....back when we didn't have a football program to speak of. Bearcat basketball has always been the top sport on my list since that time...out of ALL sports or teams.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:40 AM   #256
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
yeah its kinda sad when a guy that pretty much stopped posting here just stops by to start fights. and he's a mod.

i always thought it was weird when people try to tell others how they should be fans. i think nothing but blind negativity is crazy, i think nothing but blind optimism is crazy, but im not going to tell anybody they shouldn't think that way.
Sad? LOL ok. Lets calm down on the dramatics.

I never asked to be a mod. It was the other way around and when I agreed to do it, no one told me that my opinion would have become stale and vanilla in order to appease everyone. IF thats the case, I'll gladly give up the title.

And I'm not trying to start fights. I read this board every single day. But its a bit discouraging when I scroll through, what I expect to be a pretty happy thread, and still see people talking about the same stuff they always talk about. The Nevada loss changed nothing about I felt about UC basketball. But it did change everything about the way I feel about some fans.

I can you tell this.. I was at the game on Saturday, the people who are still unhappy after beating Xavier, clearly werent at the game. Because I've never seen such unity and collective energy around a single game in all the games I've been to. People were chanting and screaming well after the game in front of the Oscar statue. The collective whole of Bearcat fans absolutely loved that win and I can't picture anyone of them, leaving the game, to go home and then whine about Cane vs Jenifer on message boards.

I totally get that being a Cincinnati Sports fan has jaded most of our city. The Reds choke against the giants, the Bengals screw ups against Pittsburgh, The UC Meltdown against Nevada, The TOMMY TUBBERVILLE years, The Xavier #1 seed meltdown...... We've collectively have been on the cusp of being great in this city for years and we always f it up. BUT, all that said, I just have a hard time getting into the headspace of over critiqueing a team that no one expected to be good. Its so weird to me what people decide to pick and choose from games.

All that said, its fine. I won't mention another combative word.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 09:58 AM   #257
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
I used to post a lot more on the football boards before I became a father. I married into a 6 year old stepson (awesome young man) and have a new baby girl (3 months old). I didn't get to watch as many games this year as I used to (I don't live in Cincy). So I basically told my wife I would pick one sport that I really didn't want to miss ANY action and that was UC basketball and she has been very good about that. I still get to watch other sports but I just don't want to miss any of our basketball games. I guess that puts me in "fair weather fan" territory for almost everything else right now.

I started at UC in Huggins first year....back when we didn't have a football program to speak of. Bearcat basketball has always been the top sport on my list since that time...out of ALL sports or teams.
Congrats on the birth of your baby girl. As a father of 4 I certainly understand how your time has to be allocated. Coming in at the end of the down years and witnessing Huggins had to be very exciting and Football wasn't on the radar in those days. As a Grandfather my time is much easier to come buy these days. My wife enjoys drinking a Beer and going out so as long as I take her she is alright with watching the games with me. I have begun taking the 3 year old grandson to the games with me. He is a hoot. Starting a new line of Bearcat fans.
Old 12-10-2018, 10:01 AM   #258
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Sad? LOL ok. Lets calm down on the dramatics.

I never asked to be a mod. It was the other way around and when I agreed to do it, no one told me that my opinion would have become stale and vanilla in order to appease everyone. IF thats the case, I'll gladly give up the title.

And I'm not trying to start fights.

out of all the posts here you picked the 1 guy that wasn't happy. as much as you don't like the negative, and you tell people they aren't real fans for being negative, you commenting on just that 1 guy spreads the negativity.

you can disagree with people, but you have to tell them they dont spend money like you, they dont go to games like you, they dont do this like you they dont do that like you. and you dont know if any of that is even true.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:13 AM   #259
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Congrats on the birth of your baby girl. As a father of 4 I certainly understand how your time has to be allocated. Coming in at the end of the down years and witnessing Huggins had to be very exciting and Football wasn't on the radar in those days. As a Grandfather my time is much easier to come buy these days. My wife enjoys drinking a Beer and going out so as long as I take her she is alright with watching the games with me. I have begun taking the 3 year old grandson to the games with me. He is a hoot. Starting a new line of Bearcat fans.
Thanks Waite! My baby girl already has Bearcat gear and was dressed up literally from head to toe when we played UCF...lol! I live in Florida but couldn't make the game unfortunately. Enough UCF fans saw her to make it worth while though...hahaha
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 10:31 AM   #260
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Thanks Waite! My baby girl already has Bearcat gear and was dressed up literally from head to toe when we played UCF...lol! I live in Florida but couldn't make the game unfortunately. Enough UCF fans saw her to make it worth while though...hahaha
She sounds adorable. I spent 7 years working a Cape canaverval in the late 80’s and early 90’s. A Rollins college grad. Stay warm and bring us home a winner at UCF this year