Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2018, 07:21 AM   #21
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,161
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
Im willing to accept 2 maybe even 3 losses to get these guys meaningful minutes, that's how important I think it is to advance in the Tourney. 2 or 3 games I would sit Brooks and Broome. They can afford it to get Moore, Fredericks and Johnson meaningful minutes, just my 2 cents.

this team doesn't have 2 or 3 games they can just give away. you absolutely do not sacrifice a tournament chance just to get some bench guys a few extra minutes.



everybody got their shot on this team. the guys playing now are the ones that earned the PT.

cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 07:26 AM   #22
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,332
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by icehole3 View Post
Im willing to accept 2 maybe even 3 losses to get these guys meaningful minutes, that's how important I think it is to advance in the Tourney. 2 or 3 games I would sit Brooks and Broome. They can afford it to get Moore, Fredericks and Johnson meaningful minutes, just my 2 cents.
I would love to get these guys more minutes but the odds are they will get even less minutes in tourney. Mick seems to really tighten the rotation in tourney. Besides 2-3 losses is probably the difference between a 2 seed and a 6 seed or a 6 seed and a 10 seed.
waterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2018, 02:49 PM   #23
GarradJ21
Epic Member
 
GarradJ21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,713
GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
What a slow week. I can't wait to see what the spreads opens up at tomorrow.

I go back and forth in my thoughts on what the outcome will be for this game, just hoping we come ready to play.

We can't depend on three point shooting but def. would like to see some go down for Cane come Saturday. He's a better shooter than what he has shown, but I know his forte is getting in the lane/mid range.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 05:44 AM   #24
Cin City
Senior Member
 
Cin City's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Southern Indiana
Posts: 342
Cin City is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
What a slow week. I can't wait to see what the spreads opens up at tomorrow.

I go back and forth in my thoughts on what the outcome will be for this game, just hoping we come ready to play.

We can't depend on three point shooting but def. would like to see some go down for Cane come Saturday. He's a better shooter than what he has shown, but I know his forte is getting in the lane/mid range.
I'd guess we are 5-6 pt dogs. Make no mistake, this is going to be a tough game. We have to play ball. Should we play up to our capabilities, I think we win. However, if we let them build a lead @ home, I just don't know if we can climb out of a hole on the road against a really good team.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:02 AM   #25
beeman7467
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 90
beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Defense travels. I think they play well. 50/50 shot at a win.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:32 AM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator
 
waterhead's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 7,332
waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman7467 View Post
Defense travels. I think they play well. 50/50 shot at a win.
They have a good defense too. It will be interesting to see how our offense will function against a solid D. As you say, defense travels, so we should be able to frustrate them enough to have a chance if we can find a way to get the ball in the hoop.

I am wondering which type of offense I prefer when playing a solid D? The type of offense this year which is more about attacking the lane from the key or shoulder or last year which worked more around the perimeter and inside out. Keep in mind I am not necessarily talking about the players that were/are on the team...just the style of play.
waterhead is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 11:14 AM   #27
cincrulz11
Epic Member
 
cincrulz11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Posts: 3,161
cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

I am wondering which type of offense I prefer when playing a solid D? The type of offense this year which is more about attacking the lane from the key or shoulder or last year which worked more around the perimeter and inside out. Keep in mind I am not necessarily talking about the players that were/are on the team...just the style of play.

its harder to defend a team that can spread the court in the half court. think about the types of offenses our defense struggles against. if a team can't force us to defend the 3 point line then we just box up everything in the paint, making it very difficult to score.



this year or last we are still a team that plays the older style of offense. lots of 2 point jumpers. its never going to lead to a great offense unless we get north carolina or kentucky athletes (2 schools that shoot a lot of 2's like us but are still top 15 in offensive efficiency.)
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 03:23 PM   #28
GarradJ21
Epic Member
 
GarradJ21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: Cincinnati
Posts: 1,713
GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
ESPN is showing that we are +4
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:57 PM   #29
Lawrugby89
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2018
Posts: 6
Lawrugby89 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would love to get these guys more minutes but the odds are they will get even less minutes in tourney. Mick seems to really tighten the rotation in tourney. Besides 2-3 losses is probably the difference between a 2 seed and a 6 seed or a 6 seed and a 10 seed.
Our seeds donít seem to have mattered a whole lot lately and Micks tourney strategy leaves something to be desired. Not giving LoJo a chance to make a splash his freshman year is shortsighted in my view.
Lawrugby89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2018, 07:32 AM   #30
beeman7467
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 90
beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
They have a good defense too. It will be interesting to see how our offense will function against a solid D. As you say, defense travels, so we should be able to frustrate them enough to have a chance if we can find a way to get the ball in the hoop.

I am wondering which type of offense I prefer when playing a solid D? The type of offense this year which is more about attacking the lane from the key or shoulder or last year which worked more around the perimeter and inside out. Keep in mind I am not necessarily talking about the players that were/are on the team...just the style of play.
I think a rock fight would be better for us. Cats just seem to win ugly better than most.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., - All material on this Cincinnati Bearcat discussion forum is strictly for entertainment purposes only. This site and any pages within are in no way affiliated with the University of Cincinnati. Any images, copyrights, or trademarks used on this site are used under the "Fair Use Provision" of the Copyright Act for purposes of comment, criticism, and news reporting.