Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2018, 11:35 AM   #131
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
100% coach speak.

We know our coach. We know how he operates.

He wasn't comfortable enough to turn a lineup of Broome, Evans, Cumberland, Clark, and Washington loose. No way he lets a lineup of more unproven, worse players loose. This season will be like the Caupain SO and JR year teams. My least favorite teams of the Cronin era. But that's who we will be. Think about our conference road games. Think about the lineups we will have out there. Think about what our coach turns to in big games. Rockfight USA.

I do agree this year would be the year to do it. But last year was the year to do it too.

I think we'll build this team from the grossest of all gross rockfights to a team that will be a worse version of what we were this year in a few years. It'd be nice if Cronin could build this thing the opposite way. Can you imagine if we lost a game like 90-87 or something? And over the course of the next couple years we had to make defensive adjustments to fit the "system" instead of always begging for more offense? Never going to happen. We'll be lucky to crack 60 in the majority of our 9 AAC road games.

I might actually choose not to watch some games next year. As crazy as that sounds. But if we play a gross, low-level game, and it's the worst version of the same thing we always get, I'll simply choose to do something else with my time. Not worth watching a 57-55 2OT game at Temple.
I can't disagree with your points. I can only hope for some change from the coach and my hope is diminishing. We can be a good team almost any year but being a great team is what I hope for. In Cronin's own comments that is going to take some level of change.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #132
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I can't disagree with your points. I can only hope for some change from the coach and my hope is diminishing. We can be a good team almost any year but being a great team is what I hope for. In Cronin's own comments that is going to take some level of change.
All coaches say things in the offseason. Last year we were told how many different starting lineups we would have. The thing is, he might actually believe what he is saying right now. But in the biggest moments, we know how it goes. Against Wichita State in our own gym...they have 5 guys who can score. We counter by taking our scorers off the floor and go with 33 minutes of Brooks, Jenifer, and Nsoseme. The game at Houston...we go up 13-2 and are rolling. We slam on the brakes at the 11 minutes mark of the 1st half and play at a 50 point pace the last 31 minutes. The Florida game we score 62. The game at Wichita we score 62. The AAC Title game we score 56. Against Mississippi State, Broome gets like 3 minutes in the 1st half and we only score 65. The games at Temple and UCF. It was still there, even with the "best offense" under Cronin. This year those kind of outputs might be the high end against any Top 50 type team. Unless our system is different, and we shoot 3s and shoot earlier in the clock to speed games up, this season is going to be very predictable.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 11:54 AM   #133
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

I was listening to a guy who was either on the Suns coaching staff or was in the front office (I don't remember who it was) during the 7 seconds or less years. And he said to speed games up they'd just run a simple play 5, 6, 7 times in a row. A guy would dribble up the right or left side, take a pull up 3, or pass it to the top of the key. That guy would either catch and shoot or pass right away to the other wing. And that guy would catch and shoot no matter what if it went that far. 3 options to shoot. If not, swing it. If not, swing it. Over and over and all the sudden you have an up and down game. You don't just have to accept a team packing it in. That's what Michigan State's problem was with Syracuse. They looked at the 3 as a bad thing. As if it was a "settling" shot. So they just kept trying to work it in. But nothing ever forced the defense to stretch out. Bc they knew Michigan State didn't want that kind of a game. Villanova would've just said f it and shot 45 3s. That's the difference.
Old 04-10-2018, 02:18 PM   #134
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
We were middle of the pack last year in offensive possession length, and that's with a very high offensive rebound rate factored in. Obviously the offense can improve, but I disagree that taking early shots will make us a better team.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:08 PM   #135
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
100% coach speak.

We know our coach. We know how he operates.

He wasn't comfortable enough to turn a lineup of Broome, Evans, Cumberland, Clark, and Washington loose. No way he lets a lineup of more unproven, worse players loose. This season will be like the Caupain SO and JR year teams. My least favorite teams of the Cronin era. But that's who we will be. Think about our conference road games. Think about the lineups we will have out there. Think about what our coach turns to in big games. Rockfight USA.

I do agree this year would be the year to do it. But last year was the year to do it too.

I think we'll build this team from the grossest of all gross rockfights to a team that will be a worse version of what we were this year in a few years. It'd be nice if Cronin could build this thing the opposite way. Can you imagine if we lost a game like 90-87 or something? And over the course of the next couple years we had to make defensive adjustments to fit the "system" instead of always begging for more offense? Never going to happen. We'll be lucky to crack 60 in the majority of our 9 AAC road games.

I might actually choose not to watch some games next year. As crazy as that sounds. But if we play a gross, low-level game, and it's the worst version of the same thing we always get, I'll simply choose to do something else with my time. Not worth watching a 57-55 2OT game at Temple.
Sounds more than crazy. I couldn't ever imagine not wanting to watch my team play. Even after Huggs left I watched and went to every game I could through Micks first years, and that was not fun. But my fanhood never wavered. Now we expect to just not be as good as last year and you won't be able to stand to watch them, I just don't even see how that's a point of view
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:09 PM   #136
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
All coaches say things in the offseason. Last year we were told how many different starting lineups we would have. The thing is, he might actually believe what he is saying right now. But in the biggest moments, we know how it goes. Against Wichita State in our own gym...they have 5 guys who can score. We counter by taking our scorers off the floor and go with 33 minutes of Brooks, Jenifer, and Nsoseme. The game at Houston...we go up 13-2 and are rolling. We slam on the brakes at the 11 minutes mark of the 1st half and play at a 50 point pace the last 31 minutes. The Florida game we score 62. The game at Wichita we score 62. The AAC Title game we score 56. Against Mississippi State, Broome gets like 3 minutes in the 1st half and we only score 65. The games at Temple and UCF. It was still there, even with the "best offense" under Cronin. This year those kind of outputs might be the high end against any Top 50 type team. Unless our system is different, and we shoot 3s and shoot earlier in the clock to speed games up, this season is going to be very predictable.
How many of those games did we win?
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #137
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
We were middle of the pack last year in offensive possession length, and that's with a very high offensive rebound rate factored in. Obviously the offense can improve, but I disagree that taking early shots will make us a better team.
I'm surprised to hear this.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:24 PM   #138
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
How many of those games did we win?
Flip a coin.
Old 04-10-2018, 03:38 PM   #139
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'm surprised to hear this.
I'm a stats guy. There's no correlation between tempo and efficiency. Villanova's offensive possession length was 17.9 seconds, exactly the same as ours. I think there is an illusion that playing fast is better because it is easier to score in transition. But in 5v5 situations, faster is not more efficient. Creating more transition opportunities means sacrifices in other areas, mainly defending the lane and defensive rebounding.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:42 PM   #140
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
The horse has been dead for 2 years and we are still beating it we get it Cronin hasn’t produced in March, it’s like I’m reading the same stuff everyday and it’s a turnoff for me to come to this site
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote