Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #11
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
"To the recruits in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana and beyond we're coming"

Last edited by cincrulz11; 04-15-2019 at 09:57 AM.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 09:44 AM   #12
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
After watching the presser I think this is more of a home run than I was thinking was possible initially. One of the best candidates we had was right here born and raised. Sounds like he was pretty much option 1A all the way through so to be able to land option 1A is a great thing.

From a fan standpoint we are finally going to get back to seeing some full court basketball on both ends and that excites me to no end. Can't wait to see us running the court and picking up press full court for some quick turnovers and some exciting dunks etc. I like the option of putting up the first best shot even if it means we can't always be in position to rebound. It's going to be fun again even if the winning consistency isn't always there potentially.

He sounds like he has his shit together and seems very confident in his abilities. I think the players can't wait to play the style he will incorporate. They will have as much fun as the fans. Our roster is set up to run the court and get to the hoop and play around the rim and we can do that more in an open and faster tempo. Keith Williams, Logan Johnson should both do very well if we don't slow things down and go half court as much. Scott should be just fine in that style and Cumberland is good on the break. Brooks is mobile enough to get up and down the court. Ellie is mobile, Diara is mobile etc. Curtis should also shine if we can get him in open court scenarios.

For this roster it seems like a perfect fit if we aren't facing half court defenses all the time because we can't shoot very well. Really really like this hire a lot from a local perspective and a current roster fit perspective and a fan excitement perspective.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:03 AM   #13
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Just think about LoJo picking up press full court? He is going to be a menace!! and Williams and Scott should do quite well with their length and athleticism.

Williams and LoJo are going to have some nasty dunks this year on fast break and press.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:05 AM   #14
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
He absolutely hit a home run with that press conference. Very well spoken guy and what he did with lesser recruited guys like Drew McDonald excite me to see what he can do with better talent. The longer Samari waits the more I think he may bail, if he does it will suck but so be it. I will be interested to see what JB does with the 2 open spots we have right now. This team is set up to win now and I am curious to see how the rest of the staff shakes out.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:13 AM   #15
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Looking forward to seeing how Brannen will handle seniority over talent or vice versa. I am hoping for a heavy dose of Curtis and Johnson early to get them some experience. It will be interesting to see how he handles Diara as well. Hell even Hardnett. He probably can't shoot well but he can run and handle the ball.

I think guys like Prince and Moore are better set up for half court but we shall see. Not sure how well Fredericks fits his system either.

If we are playing full court on both ends we are going to need the depth for breathers...so I think they can all have a shot to get in there.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #16
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
He absolutely hit a home run with that press conference. Very well spoken guy and what he did with lesser recruited guys like Drew McDonald excite me to see what he can do with better talent. The longer Samari waits the more I think he may bail, if he does it will suck but so be it. I will be interested to see what JB does with the 2 open spots we have right now. This team is set up to win now and I am curious to see how the rest of the staff shakes out.
Sure hope Curtis stays on. Seems like a great fit for him but who knows. If not I think we need to grab a transfer to fill in on the wing for sure. For this upcoming year it might be important to grab a guy who has proven he can do it anyway. But long term I want Curtis on the team.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:47 AM   #17
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Looking forward to seeing how Brannen will handle seniority over talent or vice versa. I am hoping for a heavy dose of Curtis and Johnson early to get them some experience. It will be interesting to see how he handles Diara as well. Hell even Hardnett. He probably can't shoot well but he can run and handle the ball.

I think guys like Prince and Moore are better set up for half court but we shall see. Not sure how well Fredericks fits his system either.

If we are playing full court on both ends we are going to need the depth for breathers...so I think they can all have a shot to get in there.
Based on his highlights I think Prince can fit. He's big, but he's mobile and athletic and is well suited to play the stretch 4 (or potentially even SF) and I believe he's been working a lot on improving his 3-point shooting this year. He has a pretty good handle for his size, 3-point shooting seems to be his main weakness.

Moore might be the hardest fit. He doesn't have much of a handle and he's not a great athlete. Obviously if he can be the 40%+ 3-point shooter that Cronin thought he could be, he will have a spot. But his handle and athleticism are average at best, so his shooting need to be great to make up for that. Frederick's would also be tough to fit, but seems like he's gone anyway.

Hardnett played PG at times for his HS team. Obviously, we need to see how that translates to college, but he seems like he can do it all (handle, run, shoot). His biggest weakness was just that, weakness, he needed to put on ~20lb of muscle (which i speculate is why he redshirted). He should be ready to get a lot of minutes next year.

The hardest thing I think will be assist-to-turnover ratio, Brannen puts a big emphasis on that and assists. UC played a lot of iso-ball, especially in conference play, meaning very few assists - especially assists from non set plays. Guys are going to have to become better passers and minimize mistakes.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:53 AM   #18
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

The hardest thing I think will be assist-to-turnover ratio, Brannen puts a big emphasis on that and assists. UC played a lot of iso-ball, especially in conference play, meaning very few assists - especially assists from non set plays. Guys are going to have to become better passers and minimize mistakes.

probably can't compare what he does to what we did. its really hard to get any assists when 1 guy has the ball most of the time and is taking the majority of the shots.

i think we just got so used to watching our offense we've lost sight of what a well run offense can look like.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:54 AM   #19
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
For this roster it seems like a perfect fit if we aren't facing half court defenses all the time because we can't shoot very well. Really really like this hire a lot from a local perspective and a current roster fit perspective and a fan excitement perspective.
Agreed. Cronin by accident or by plan, seems to have recruited a near perfect roster for Brannen's system. Cronin talked a lot about pressing as well, but would never commit to it (just press vs bad teams, then switch to half-court in conference play), but he seems to have recruited with the pressing concept in mind.

We've got mobile centers, power forwards who can play the stretch 4 and handle the ball (Scott especially seems like he could really flourish in that role next year) and big athletic guards who can run and handle. Our biggest weakness is 3-point shooting, which hopefully we can fix over the summer. But even if we can't, an aggressive defense and fast-break offense can create a lot of points even if threes aren't falling.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #20
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
probably can't compare what he does to what we did. its really hard to get any assists when 1 guy has the ball most of the time and is taking the majority of the shots.

i think we just got so used to watching our offense we've lost sight of what a well run offense can look like.
Yeah, I was just thinking along the lines of what the players are used to. In the old system they were expected to get the ball to Jarron and get out of the way. Only create/shoot if there's an obvious advantage or late in the shot clock.

Now, it seems like they are going to have to get the mentality of everyone is a creator and not just Jarron. Might take some work to get them into the new mindset though and get them used to making plays.