Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-04-2019, 02:11 PM   #1441
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Brannen is just going to have a heart to heart with McNeal if Mcneal plays a lot. McNeal thinks he's a great 3 point shooter by the way he talks and the amount he takes, but he's not. If he wants minutes on this team he's gonna have to understand he's the 4th best option at best. He's here to take care of the ball, push it when the opportunity presents itself, and get us in our sets in the half court. He shouldnt be shooting much.
His TO rate was high too. It was higher than everyone on our team last year but Logan. So he can't shoot well and he turns it over. I do think we will need his ball handling...but I don't think we can put him out there more than 15 minutes. Hell...MAW may just end up moving past him if he doesn't listen to coach as you said. But hey Brannen recruited him so he must think he will listen.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 02:53 PM   #1442
Vanhoop

Vanhoop is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
His TO rate was high too. It was higher than everyone on our team last year but Logan. So he can't shoot well and he turns it over. I do think we will need his ball handling...but I don't think we can put him out there more than 15 minutes. Hell...MAW may just end up moving past him if he doesn't listen to coach as you said. But hey Brannen recruited him so he must think he will listen.
Mcneal reminds me Keith Legree or Deonta Vaughn with his build and how he gets in the paint. He is also big time competitor. I'm tell ya this kids starting and getting at least 25 minutes per.
Vanhoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:02 PM   #1443
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanhoop View Post
Mcneal reminds me Keith Legree or Deonta Vaughn with his build and how he gets in the paint. He is also big time competitor. I'm tell ya this kids starting and getting at least 25 minutes per.
Hopefully sophomore year Deonta and not senior year.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:23 PM   #1444
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
His TO rate was high too. It was higher than everyone on our team last year but Logan. So he can't shoot well and he turns it over.
His TO rate was high by our standards under Cronin, but was about average across the country (51.5 percentile). We were a top 30 ball control team last year. I have little doubt that McNeal's turnover rate would have been closer to Broome's senior year if he were at UC. Broome had a TO rate of at least 18.5 his first 3 years, then lowered it to 15.6 last year.

It's possible McNeal's TO rate will stay about the same and the rest of the team will increase. Coaching strategy is give and take. If we're going to play a faster tempo and hunt earlier shots, we'll probably turn the ball over more. Either way, I don't think his average TO rate at New Mexico hurts his chances of being a good floor general here. It's impossible to tell until we seem him play with the rest of the team under Brannen though.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 03:41 PM   #1445
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Incidentally, McNeal's TO rate against top 50 competition was 14.9 in 2018, exact same as Jarron last year.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:24 PM   #1446
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I don't think Jaevin is coming here to come off the bench when he could of went to Oregon or Michigan and started.
Did Juwan Howard really offer/ keep The offer on the table after John Belein left?
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 05:42 PM   #1447
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
His TO rate was high by our standards under Cronin, but was about average across the country (51.5 percentile). We were a top 30 ball control team last year. I have little doubt that McNeal's turnover rate would have been closer to Broome's senior year if he were at UC. Broome had a TO rate of at least 18.5 his first 3 years, then lowered it to 15.6 last year.

It's possible McNeal's TO rate will stay about the same and the rest of the team will increase. Coaching strategy is give and take. If we're going to play a faster tempo and hunt earlier shots, we'll probably turn the ball over more. Either way, I don't think his average TO rate at New Mexico hurts his chances of being a good floor general here. It's impossible to tell until we seem him play with the rest of the team under Brannen though.
Agreed Cronin had a lot to do with our TO rate. I would rather get by with starting Cumberland x 2, Williams and Scott if we can make that work. We will be small if we go with McNeal so I would prefer Diara if he’s ready for the big time.
Old 06-04-2019, 06:30 PM   #1448
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Diarra has best be ready! He’s been st UC for 2 years now. Admittedly one year was redshirt year and last year he did not see a lot of playing time but if you can’t make it going into your third year in the system maybe you’re just not gonna make it. ‘Course, now it’s a different system, I hope he flourishes under it and doesn’t take a step back.

Last edited by juckerrules; 06-04-2019 at 06:34 PM.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 07:35 PM   #1449
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
Did Juwan Howard really offer/ keep The offer on the table after John Belein left?
I didnt read about any contact between Howard and Cumberland but most Michigan fans were skeptically hoping they could still land him.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2019, 08:13 PM   #1450
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Diarra has best be ready! He’s been st UC for 2 years now. Admittedly one year was redshirt year and last year he did not see a lot of playing time but if you can’t make it going into your third year in the system maybe you’re just not gonna make it. ‘Course, now it’s a different system, I hope he flourishes under it and doesn’t take a step back.
I am definitely on the same page. If he doesn’t get it this year he may never. I think he’s a smart kid though so maybe just a different style of coaching will help. The defense scheme won’t be as hard to grasp and he’s going to have more green lights in Brannens offense. Seems like a perfect opportunity.