Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 06-17-2019, 12:59 PM   #1561
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyalum2014 View Post
I agree with most of you and think that would be an absolute terrible look for this team if they were to boot someone out in June. If Laquill did enter the portal I hope it was mutual, he is an extremely nice kid and has the potential to be a solid player and this may not be a fair assumption because he never played a minute for UC but I think he was much like Nsoseme in terms of a underrated player whos only decent scholarship offer was UC. Laquill had offers from Buffalo (decent but still in the MAC), Canisius, Quinnipiac, Lasalle, Hoftra and Western Kentucky. I think he was the typical low rated Cronin guy who Mick likes to develop but in reality he probably should have been at one of those smaller schools to begin with. I don't think this team changes regardless if he stays or goes but in all seriousness I think he could be a great mid major player and wish him the best..... if this is true. I want to win now just like everyone else just to be clear and I get this isn't grade school basketball, but I am curious to see how this plays out.
I am guessing they had a heart to heart talk to discuss the fit in the system. Brannen probably gave him an honest assessment of where he fit in. Laquill probably said...I think I would rather play basketball somewhere than to ride pine. Nobody just wants to take up a scholly and ride pine the whole time.

All speculation of course.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:00 PM   #1562
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
its possible he pushed him out, its also possible he had a sit down talk with him and explained its possible hardnett might never see the court his entire career here.

i have no idea what hardnett looks like as a player, but if he's even behind nsoseme, theres a good chance he'd never play here.
you beat me to it
Old 06-17-2019, 01:03 PM   #1563
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Sounds like you don't care too much for the predicament this puts the player in. Even so, how do you think that'll play with the current guys on the roster? You might say you just want to win now, but team chemistry matters. It matters that future recruits are confident they can develop here for 4 years without being recruited over and shown the door.
I agree it's a true lack of descernment... This isn't the NBA. On top of that my goodness Laquil was a redshirt so it must really suck. It's imperative to build a good report with the kids around the program to show loyalty. There's certain fundamentals to coaching. The analytics just plug a guy in stuff only goes so far it's really playing with fire on this level but we'll just see what transpires here
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #1564
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
its possible he pushed him out, its also possible he had a sit down talk with him and explained its possible hardnett might never see the court his entire career here.

i have no idea what hardnett looks like as a player, but if he's even behind nsoseme, theres ay good chance he'd never play here.
Nsoseme wasn't as bad as what's being advertised, he had intangibles that certain kids don't have like a high motor, team player, and a impactful rebound rate. Thier are different ways to be affective and skin a cat, it's not always about scoring not everyone can have the ball in thier hands. Laquil was just a freshman and nsoseme just a sophomore who didn't unfortunately have the healthiest yr but he had bright spots...
Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #1565
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
I agree it's a true lack of descernment... This isn't the NBA. On top of that my goodness Laquil was a redshirt so it must really suck. It's imperative to build a good report with the kids around the program to show loyalty. There's certain fundamentals to coaching. The analytics just plug a guy in stuff only goes so far it's really playing with fire on this level but we'll just see what transpires here
Huggins did it and guys loved him.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:08 PM   #1566
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Sounds like you don't care too much for the predicament this puts the player in. Even so, how do you think that'll play with the current guys on the roster? You might say you just want to win now, but team chemistry matters. It matters that future recruits are confident they can develop here for 4 years without being recruited over and shown the door.
On the flip side. Hardnett was not a Brannen recruit. If he doesn't fit the system coach should let the kid know so he can make a choice. He may have even said I will honor your scholly if you want to stay. Who knows...but we will find out soon enough.

In the future. It would look odd to push out a player that CJB himself had recruited because he couldn't use the "you don't fit the system" explanation.
Old 06-17-2019, 01:09 PM   #1567
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Disagree, players are showing no loyalty to programs, we had players transfer and decommit and a new coaches job depends on his ability to win. Esp to people like you and Justin who were calling Brannon a failure before he even started. He needs to do what he thinks is best.
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2019, 01:11 PM   #1568
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Huggins did it and guys loved him.
To who exactly and in this same fashion? Sorry just asking I'm trying to remember
Old 06-17-2019, 01:15 PM   #1569
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bcatfollower View Post
Disagree, players are showing no loyalty to programs, we had players transfer and decommit and a new coaches job depends on his ability to win. Esp to people like you and Justin who were calling Brannon a failure before he even started. He needs to do what he thinks is best.
I've never called him an overall failure I've just spoke on what's developed since he's got here and the approach of which he was hired. As far as players transferring I never view it as selfish thier not getting paid and therefore aren't obligated just to play for anyone presented to them. Now did I think the Brooks transfer was the best decision? As far as familiarity no... But who's to say he can't find a better situation that best suits him
Old 06-17-2019, 01:31 PM   #1570
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Starting to see a little of what Brannen wants in recruits now.

At the 5 he is happy with a 7' rim protector type. Obviously he would love to get some offensive production in the paint (or a shooter) here but it doesn't look like the main priority.

At PG he is happy with someone who can push pace. It would be great if they can shoot but not a deal breaker.

At the wing...you probably need to be able to do it all.

At the PF...someone who can stretch the floor.