Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-03-2019, 07:39 AM   #511
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
When Brannen has a few year here and we make the S16, that’ll be pretty unfamiliar too!

It’s clear that the coaching change has affected next years team. I had hopes since it was an experienced squad that we had a shot at not a lot of change and even keeping Curtis if the program seemed stable. Hopes that Brannen would take the team left to the second weekend.

Well - hopes ain’t plans and ain’t reality in this case. Next year will be a struggle. Brannen has to get a terrific recruiting class in 2020...and that will be difficult.

At this point I think this program is in for a rougher than usual 3 year stretch at a minimum. Hoping Brannen can shorten that pain.

Look at Fickell though. That team had 0 improvement the first year. It was bad and I was worried. Look at his second year. So things can change quickly for the right coaching staff.
While the record was identical from Tuberville's last season to Fickell's first, to say that the team had zero improvement is to say you didn't see the team play. Despite having a lot less talent, there were drastic changes in that first year. The defense backs actually started turning their heads and making plays on the ball - Tuberville was coaching guys to play the man and not turn. The team was cohesive and played hard together. Essentially Tuberville won 4 games with 7-8 win talent, and Fickell won 4 with 1-2 win talent.

Brannen is going to have a similar problem in year one (he will likely have a less talented team). If he matches Cronin's final year performance, that would be a very encouraging sign.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #512
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
While the record was identical from Tuberville's last season to Fickell's first, to say that the team had zero improvement is to say you didn't see the team play. Despite having a lot less talent, there were drastic changes in that first year. The defense backs actually started turning their heads and making plays on the ball - Tuberville was coaching guys to play the man and not turn. The team was cohesive and played hard together. Essentially Tuberville won 4 games with 7-8 win talent, and Fickell won 4 with 1-2 win talent.

Brannen is going to have a similar problem in year one (he will likely have a less talented team). If he matches Cronin's final year performance, that would be a very encouraging sign.
Yeah that was kinda my point...and yes I meant in the win category. As fans we look at W-L record, and we should. But during these transitions you have to look deeper to see what is being built...or what isn't being built.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:00 AM   #513
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
"Quick wins" can be another way of saying "quick news". I would rather it all be well thought out. Here are some quick wins for you. Tre SCott is all in as well as a bunch of other players like Williams etc. Rehfeldt has been retained. The coach is out beating the trail late in the game.

AS to offering nobodies. I think many of us would be happy if Sloan came over and it's down to 2. We offered Loveday for 2020. How much was left in 2019? And maybe Brannen sees something in recruits he was working with for NKU...that would still work for us...who knows. Maybe he sees a backup plan for his A list. Maybe he sees someone who can do some things in year 3 or 4.

Give it a rest and let the man do his job. After the 2020 class and a couple years of coaching we will see how he's doing. He's not going anywhere. The last thing this program needs is another fractured fan base of people who have little patience and over react. If you want some quick news go read a paper.

are our fans aware our last couple classes include trevor moore, eliel nsoseme, and laquill hardnett?

and we are really upset about a couple names of guys brannen is recruiting?

Trevor Moore 340

Eliel Nsoseme 471

LaQuill Hardnett 264

Marcus Domask 414

seems to fit right in to me.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:16 AM   #514
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
are our fans aware our last couple classes include trevor moore, eliel nsoseme, and laquill hardnett?

Trevor Moore 340

Eliel Nsoseme 471

LaQuill Hardnett 264

Marcus Domask 414

True...this is one of the things that needs to change. And can't blame CJB this late into this recruiting season.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:38 AM   #515
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
No kidding. Unsure why people keep talking about wanting mick out at this point. He left. He was the one that wanted out because he couldn’t win in march here. He knew either his recruiting or his coaching was a problem in March. Now at a blueblood...no recruiting excuses and he will find out which it was.
Haha, interesting tactic. That's like hating your girlfriend, saying how much you want to be with someone else, then calling her a bitch when she breaks up with you. Do better, cuz you're not upset he chose to leave.

In the case of Brannen, I'm in no way pinning this on him and I'm still happy with the hire, but a coaching staff would sure be nice at this point...
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #516
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Trevor Moore 340

Eliel Nsoseme 471

LaQuill Hardnett 264

Marcus Domask 414

So our lowest rated recruits were generally better then this guy and we got a number of higher rated recruits in the same time frame (Wiliiams, Johnson, Diarra). And at least they were goes who recruited for their athletic potential (with the exception of Moore) to become great. It's harder to get guys who are 6'8"+ who are ready now.

Marcus Domask looks like a worse version of Trevor Moore coming out of high school. A shorter, less athletic pure shooter.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 08:43 AM   #517
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
whats weak is people flipping out after 3 weeks because they want to say i told you so.

next year always hinged on cumberland. i think he's going to do what he's going to do, the coach here didn't matter. losing brooks sucks but it appears that decision was made before brannen could do anything about it. losing samari isn't surprising but we shouldn't act like he was a top 25 guy, he's a fringe 150 guy, lets remember that.

people acknowledged the possibility that we'd take a hit early on in the process. you hope for a smooth transition, but its never guaranteed. sometimes you gotta take a bit of a hit to move past stagnation. 1 step back 2 steps forward is obviously the hope.

the idea wasn't a new coach would instantly take us to a final 4. the idea was a new coach could change the program and move it forward in time. the goal is to be better in the next 13 years than we've been in the previous 13 years.
Oh is this where we start minimizing Samari's talent? Lol, I was waiting for that. Psyched when he committed, emphasized how much better he was than his ranking, hell he was even in the Mcdonald's all-american discussion...but now it's "Meh, no big deal. He wasn't that good". Hysterical.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:05 AM   #518
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Trevor Moore 340

Eliel Nsoseme 471

LaQuill Hardnett 264

Marcus Domask 414

What seems apparent so far is that recruiting style is going to change one hell of a lot. When looking at the 2nd tier of recruits we are used to seeing guys who can defend first. Now we are looking at guys who can score first.

I hope our top tier guys can still do a bit of both. After 30 years of seeing a lot of athletes come through...I am sure I will find myself saying "that guy can't defend at a high level though". It's going to be strange and uneasy. But watching balls go through the hoop will help ease the anxiety.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #519
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
So our lowest rated recruits were generally better then this guy and we got a number of higher rated recruits in the same time frame (Wiliiams, Johnson, Diarra). And at least they were goes who recruited for their athletic potential (with the exception of Moore) to become great. It's harder to get guys who are 6'8"+ who are ready now.

Marcus Domask looks like a worse version of Trevor Moore coming out of high school. A shorter, less athletic pure shooter.
Not that it matters a lot but Waupun lists him as 6'6" and so did NKU when he committed. But I also see him listed as 6'3" on 247. Probably somewhere in between which is where Trevor is.

I doubt he is being recruited as an impact player right now but a guy who could work his way into the lineup down the road if we offer at all. We can't put it all on 2020 we have to keep some balance in classes otherwise I would say wait. But it's starting to look like we are going to have at least 4 open spots and maybe 5 depending on Cumberland. Assuming Johnson stays.

If Brannen sees value down the road...then I will have to trust his call. I don't see much harm in recruiting for bench depth right now. We aren't going to have a roster of 13 four star guys.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2019, 09:19 AM   #520
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
Oh is this where we start minimizing Samari's talent? Lol, I was waiting for that. Psyched when he committed, emphasized how much better he was than his ranking, hell he was even in the Mcdonald's all-american discussion...but now it's "Meh, no big deal. He wasn't that good". Hysterical.

you realize tons of players on in the mcdonalds all-american discussion right?

"Today, McDonald’s is supporting the next generation of basketball talent by unveiling the list of more than 800 top male and female high school basketball players from across the country nominated for the prestigious chance to play in the 42nd annual McDonald’s All American Games."

samari COULD turn out to be great. but we often times tell ourselves a guy was better than his ranking, or a late bloomer, or w/e it is to make us feel better about our guys.

and the rankings can get it way wrong. caupain was 212 and our 4th best
rated player in that class. it was clear from day 1 he was actually the best player in that class.

my point was more of he's still top 150, not a top 20 and he was the only guy we had. he backed out on xavier too, but they had 3 guys rated higher than him in that same class and one right behind him at 152.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote