Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 10-23-2018, 01:48 PM   #61
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
teams that don't run offense like we do. the way we run offense is on its way out of basketball, but until we actually change, im not going to believe we'll change.

last years team had every chance in the world to not clog the lane. everybody could shoot and we could have easily spread the floor. we just don't.

so if you want to run 2 bigs in the post like we do, but neither of them can score in the post, you're going to run into trouble.
Lol any offense that had Gary and Kyle had to still be post focused. Yes they both could shoot out side shots but Gary and Kyle both did their best work from the post and Gary play made fron the post.

For 4 straight years it benefited us to play slow. And even then, offensively we did play a bit faster on offense. We shaved nearly a second off of our offensive possession time.

With out Kyle and Gary, I could see us with another second shaved off which would put us near the top 100 in offensive pace

Our offensive pace matched that of Villanova down to the second. It’s just they have better shooters and run a better style
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 02:27 PM   #62
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Lol any offense that had Gary and Kyle had to still be post focused. Yes they both could shoot out side shots but Gary and Kyle both did their best work from the post and Gary play made fron the post.

For 4 straight years it benefited us to play slow. And even then, offensively we did play a bit faster on offense. We shaved nearly a second off of our offensive possession time.

With out Kyle and Gary, I could see us with another second shaved off which would put us near the top 100 in offensive pace

Our offensive pace matched that of Villanova down to the second. It’s just they have better shooters and run a better style

you can have post guys and still have way better spacing than what we had. no reason to plant both of them down there so often when they were both as versatile as they were.

mick is going to play slow cause that is what mick likes to do. its where he's comfortable. pace doesn't really matter to me, but like you said you still have to run good offense.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:09 PM   #63
tonka

tonka is on a distinguished road
Quote:
from a general sense, post scorers are becoming less and less important. its about spacing and shooting now. i would love it if we followed the trend. its a more free flowing and fun game to watch.

when i think about last year I still can't figure out why we didn't do more pnr's and pick and pops. that really should have been a decent part of our offense and we rarely utilized it. if we didn't use it last year, ill be surprised to use it this year.
At the scrimmage, I saw them working on a drill that would indicate we will see more 4 out and 1 down low than 2 on the blocks. I could be wrong but they worked a lot on dribble drive and kick out. I think that style suits Cumberland, Williams and Broome really well and gives guys like Moore and Jenifer a chance to hit open 3s off of rotating the ball.
tonka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 03:20 PM   #64
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Hmmm...Obviously Gary was great, but last year, everyone, including at times the head coach, cited Kyle's defense as his major weakness. He may have blocked some shots, but I think players like Nsoseme might be an upgrade defensively...now the offense on the other hand...
Kyle was a solid defender when engaged one on one. He was a terrible defender in our system. He lost and/or completely ignored his assignments. When Mick talks about someone being a great defender or not good it has to do with playing in his system. KJ and Jenifer are the opposite. They aren't as good one on one defenders and can get blown by but were great in the system. And with capable bigs down low, you can recover when a guard beats another guard. Cronin always recruits shot blockers. What causes us to disrupt so many offenses and force bad shots and thus low percentages and high rankings in D is the system, not a collection of shut down defenders.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 04:22 PM   #65
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Yeah, I'm big UC fan, so I hate to sound negative....

Last year's team had great defensive numbers, but a lot of that had to do with the fact that their competition just wasn't that great. The SOS was lower than many recent years. And when they did play tougher competition guys like Jennifer and Broom rarely had answers. I feel if they had stronger matchups throughout we just couldn't boast about these numbers as much.

Gary, and even Kyle, did clean up a lot of things for us, not to mention stop opponents from wanting to drive. I'm not looking at any stats sheets, just commenting from watch I remember watching.

I actually have faith that our younger bigs will turn up their production if coach allows them to move freely. They seem really athletic to me. We should give our depth more of a workout and play the game faster. I'm not saying that will happen, but it would be great to see.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2018, 05:32 PM   #66
Gocats

Gocats is on a distinguished road
Good Riddance Larry Davis

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...na/1737778002/
Gocats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 08:56 AM   #67
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Johnson can flat out beat Jenifer at the position and still never play. Lets be real here.

Lots and lots of questions. It's a good thing the conference is way down. It will give us a chance.
That is the option I expect to play out. However, I think back to the Caupain and Guyn situation and a glimmer of hope remains that Johnson could make it hard for Cronin to keep him out as the season goes on.

I know Jenifer is going to get his minutes and likely start. I just want Johnson to eat into his minutes by end of season.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 01:01 PM   #68
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gocats View Post
Interesting....I wonder if Cronin was on board with this. If not, it could cause some friction between him and administration. Could this cause Mick to look elsewhere? He and Davis were very close.
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:25 PM   #69
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
Interesting....I wonder if Cronin was on board with this. If not, it could cause some friction between him and administration. Could this cause Mick to look elsewhere? He and Davis were very close.
If Mick is upset and wants to go somewhere else because of this....See ya! We don;t want any sexual assault sympathizers on the team let alone leading the team.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #70
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
If Mick is upset and wants to go somewhere else because of this....See ya! We don;t want any sexual assault sympathizers on the team let alone leading the team.
Where does this show mick is upset?
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote