Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-24-2019, 02:10 PM   #31
CinciSportsFan

CinciSportsFan is on a distinguished road
Fully expect the Madsen brothers to commit sometime in the next 2 weeks. They are ours to lose.

Gabe is very talented and very smooth. He will be a great addition.
CinciSportsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2019, 11:23 PM   #32
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Both Gabe and Mason Madsen look like good ball handlers and decent outside shooters. They still have a lot of scheduled visits besides UC, so hard to say how it will fall. Gabe certainly looks like some of the players Brennen has recruited in the past. I'd say he'd be a good four-year kid, not an impact player right away, but he has all the tools to make his mark.

Not clear why Mason isn't as highly regarded, as their skill set seems really similar, but I'll have to trust the recruiting scouts on that one.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 08:33 AM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I'm guessing height is one difference, a few inches makes a big difference. Mason also seems to be less able to create his own shot. He could still be a solid backup PG and maybe eventually a starter.

Gabe looks like a solid four year starter, potentially a star as an upperclassman.

I'm not sure the 2-for-1 is worth it though. Seems like we should be able to get a 150ish rated player without needing to take on a 300+ rated player as well. I know a lot of people love Brannen's recruiting, but to me it still doesn't look any better then Cronin's, and our best recruits (if we get Gabe/Mason) are a guy with legal troubles that kept teams away and a guy whose desire to play with his brother kept some teams away.

The other big concern I have is the lack of quality bigs. As I've consistently said, skilled big men are the hardest guys to recruit. We've gotten two 7' transfers (Vogt/Sorolla) who look rather unimpressive. Our tallest freshman recruit is a 6'7" SF. If Mason/Gabe commit it would leave us with 2 scholarships remaining for next year. With only 2 guys over 6'7" on the roster for next year (Diarra/Vogt), I'd hope both scholarships get used on bigs.

I know others aren't concerned about our lack of bigs as I am, so hopefully I am proven wrong. I feel like I've seen too many games where a P5 team with a pair of quality bigs can just dominate a mid-major team that lacks size on the inside.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2019, 11:49 AM   #34
CinciSportsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I'm guessing height is one difference, a few inches makes a big difference. Mason also seems to be less able to create his own shot. He could still be a solid backup PG and maybe eventually a starter.

Gabe looks like a solid four year starter, potentially a star as an upperclassman.

I'm not sure the 2-for-1 is worth it though. Seems like we should be able to get a 150ish rated player without needing to take on a 300+ rated player as well. I know a lot of people love Brannen's recruiting, but to me it still doesn't look any better then Cronin's, and our best recruits (if we get Gabe/Mason) are a guy with legal troubles that kept teams away and a guy whose desire to play with his brother kept some teams away.

The other big concern I have is the lack of quality bigs. As I've consistently said, skilled big men are the hardest guys to recruit. We've gotten two 7' transfers (Vogt/Sorolla) who look rather unimpressive. Our tallest freshman recruit is a 6'7" SF. If Mason/Gabe commit it would leave us with 2 scholarships remaining for next year. With only 2 guys over 6'7" on the roster for next year (Diarra/Vogt), I'd hope both scholarships get used on bigs.

I know others aren't concerned about our lack of bigs as I am, so hopefully I am proven wrong. I feel like I've seen too many games where a P5 team with a pair of quality bigs can just dominate a mid-major team that lacks size on the inside.
We are only 5 months into Brannens tenure and the quality of recruits interest and visits is definetely up from the Cronin years. Sure the guys are similar rating to what Cronin would pull but I fully expect only better and better recruiting results over the next 5 years. Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm very excited about the future with Brannen.
Old 08-26-2019, 07:11 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
Both Gabe and Mason Madsen look like good ball handlers and decent outside shooters. They still have a lot of scheduled visits besides UC, so hard to say how it will fall. Gabe certainly looks like some of the players Brennen has recruited in the past. I'd say he'd be a good four-year kid, not an impact player right away, but he has all the tools to make his mark.

Not clear why Mason isn't as highly regarded, as their skill set seems really similar, but I'll have to trust the recruiting scouts on that one.
I think the main difference between the two is that Gabe is a shot creator and Mason looks like more of a facilitator and waits for his moments while Gabe creates them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 05:01 PM   #36
CinciSportsFan

Called it. Expected it yesterday but the Madsen brothers committed today. Add Traynor or Scrubb and this will be a very very nice class.
Old 08-31-2019, 08:01 PM   #37
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

If Brannen wins and keeps trying to get bigger recruits, eventually he will get one or two. And one or two top 80 guys can make a big difference. I like what he has done in the limited time he has been here. Now he has to prove he can win games and the recruits will come.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 08:03 PM   #38
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
I would think the remaining two scholarships will go to bigs. Probably one high school and one transfer.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2019, 07:00 AM   #39
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I would go with two freshmen bigs. 2020-21 is looking like a down season, currently we will have 7 players or are freshmen/sophomores in 20-21 and only 4 upperclassmen. 2 of those upperclassmen (Moore, Vogt) are guys who haven't looked very good at this point in their careers.

We already saw this year that quality grad transfer bigs are hard to get. It would be nice to add a freshman PF who can contribute immediately (would presumably be Prince's backup). A grad transfer PF is also an option, but if 20-21 is a down year, than it's better to give playing time to younger players.

Traynor is an interesting prospect and a guy I'd definitely take. He has the offensive skills to be a major threat. But his lack of weight and experience playing down low is concerning. Seems like a guy who will RS and hopefully the potential will pay off in a a couple years. I'm not sure his rating will stick, with the way he shot up, I could easily see him dropping back to the 100-150 range.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2019, 06:28 AM   #40
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I would go with two freshmen bigs. 2020-21 is looking like a down season, currently we will have 7 players or are freshmen/sophomores in 20-21 and only 4 upperclassmen. 2 of those upperclassmen (Moore, Vogt) are guys who haven't looked very good at this point in their careers.

We already saw this year that quality grad transfer bigs are hard to get. It would be nice to add a freshman PF who can contribute immediately (would presumably be Prince's backup). A grad transfer PF is also an option, but if 20-21 is a down year, than it's better to give playing time to younger players.

Traynor is an interesting prospect and a guy I'd definitely take. He has the offensive skills to be a major threat. But his lack of weight and experience playing down low is concerning. Seems like a guy who will RS and hopefully the potential will pay off in a a couple years. I'm not sure his rating will stick, with the way he shot up, I could easily see him dropping back to the 100-150 range.
Vogt is better than you think, definitely need another pf with prince being our only one on the roster. It will be interesting to see how good mamadou actually is this year, he’s been posting some pretty impressive stuff on Instagram, but not sure how it will translate into actaul game play. But Vogt will be better than Sorolla.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote