Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will be the outcome?
UC wins by 8+ 7 25.93%
UC wins by 4-7 11 40.74%
UC wins by 1-3 4 14.81%
UCF wins 5 18.52%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #241
MacBearcat
Banned

MacBearcat is on a distinguished road
IT'S a skill yes, but it can be developed
MacBearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 01:51 PM   #242
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
A couple of other things that stood out for me last night. Two of our early baskets were by bench players. Brooks went up and laid a put back in right under the basket with Fall standing right there. A few minutes later Moore attacked the rim and laid in a very nice reverse lay up going right by the big man. The kids are growing.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 02:10 PM   #243
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
Apologies if this has been asked already. Anyone know if there's a replay of this game anywhere?
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:20 PM   #244
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacBearcat View Post
His dribbling needs work. Let's all get that clear.
But what is your opinion of his dribbling?
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:29 PM   #245
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
Apologies if this has been asked already. Anyone know if there's a replay of this game anywhere?
I’ll upload to my Dropbox tonight
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2018, 07:57 PM   #246
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
I'll admit, I was beyond aggravated that we started so slow again. However, I cannot give enough praise that we continued to play basketball for 40 minutes. Even though the shots weren't falling the first half we didn't hang our heads. We continued to play our game and compete allowing us to win the game. Kudos for the guys effort. I thought Moore did a nice job providing energy in the first half and of course Clark was a man. Keep it up fellas!
Yeah, they hung in there. Didn't give up and played their hearts out!

As Waite said - Tacko was tired!

So proud of our team!!
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 11:06 AM   #247
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
I’ll upload to my Dropbox tonight
Awesome!
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 10:01 PM   #248
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Scouting UCF
Kenpom: #75
Offense Rank: #278
Defense Rank: #4
Tempo Rank: #306
Best Wins: Nebraska, @Alabama, Temple
Worst Losses: #127 UCONN, #77 St Johns and #40 Missouri
Average PPG: 64.6 (334th)
Defensive PPG: 59.1 (3rd)

Analysis:
Defense:
I'll be honest, I never would have guessed that UCF would be 12-5 after losing BJ Taylor after just 1 game and sharpshooter Aubrey Dawkins before the season even started. So much credit is due to Johnny Dawkins and his staff for developing a winning team despite lacking any sort of offensive punch. The Knights live on defensive effort and Tacko Fall is a huge reason behind it working so well for them. Tacko Fall allows UCF to play him in a one man zone while the rest of his teammates guard way up on the perimeter to protect the 3 point shot. They strive on forcing contested jumpers or funneling your drivers right into the long arms of Tacko Fall.

A lot of noise is made about Tacko's presence on the defensive end but it would be very short sighted to look past what AJ Davis brings to the table for them defensively. Synergy ranks him as an "Excellent" defender, allowing just .68 points per possession against him. He is a 6'9 SR forward who moves well and can guard multiple positions. He ranks #5 in the nation in defensive win shares. Him getting in some early foul trouble would really help UC find its way offensively.

Also of note; last year UCF ranked #18 in defense and #2 in effective FG% defense. However this year, its doing very much the same thing it did last year in forcing bad shots and causing a lot of misses but they are also getting out in the passing lanes, playing aggressive and forcing TO's. They went from #341 in forcing TO's all the way to #99. Thats a huge leap and also explains why they've made huge strides in defensive efficiency.

Offense
If elite is the word I'd use to describe UCF's defense, then hot garbage would be how I'd describe its offense. Its just bad. They shoot a dreadful 30.4% from 3 and that number alone shows how much they miss not having Dawkins and Taylor around. Tacko Fall leads this team in scoring with 12 points a game, which mostly come around the rim (He is shooting 77% overall, which is good for #2 in the nation). Fall is shooting just 48% from the free throw line, so to me, I'm giving him nothing easy around the rim and a hard foul that takes him off balance maybe the best way to go if you get beat on positioning. AJ Davis is the second leading scorer and also dishes out nearly 3 assists a game.

Honestly its to talk about them offensively because they mostly just want to survive on that end of the floor. They want to hold you to 50 so they can do their best to throw in 51. Its ugly basketball. So ugly that UCF's Offense is worse than any team in the top 132 of the nation.

The X Factor
Chad Brendel put it best when he said that BJ Taylor has been Day to Day for going on a month now. Its very likely he will play tomorrow and its just so hard to predict what he gives them. Does he come out rusty and end up being a liability for them (hard to imagine at least offensively, Quadri Moore would look lik the Michael Jordan on that team) or does he give the Knights the offensive spark they have been looking for all season? IF he is on his game, Cane and Justin will have their hands full. UC will need to exploit his rust and try to frustrate him early.

Prediction: UC Wins 67- 54

Sorry guys, I know 90% won't read, but I just like to write about CBB and UC especially
I wanted to post this earlier - appreciate your effort for sure!!
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 08:23 AM   #249
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
A couple of other things that stood out for me last night. Two of our early baskets were by bench players. Brooks went up and laid a put back in right under the basket with Fall standing right there. A few minutes later Moore attacked the rim and laid in a very nice reverse lay up going right by the big man. The kids are growing.
Who knew Moore and Brooks would be our kick start to a tough road game? LOL. I think it was Jenifer who got us going against Temple? I think our starters have to relax little in the early going on the road...I think we are forcing the issue a little rather than letting good shots come to us.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote