Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #261
All we do is Guyn

All we do is Guyn is on a distinguished road
A better home atmosphere would be positive for recruiting. You are free to think the team's performance doesn't warrant it, but that is a fact. It's not a defense of Cronin. You guys are jumping to conclusions for the sake of arguing.
All we do is Guyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:51 AM   #262
Nayers

Nayers is on a distinguished road
ya'll are just blame mick group thinkers. /s
Nayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 11:56 AM   #263
All we do is Guyn

And can we please stop mentioning Cronin's salary as if it's outrageous? He barely cracks the top-40 in coaching salaries.
Old 04-06-2018, 11:58 AM   #264
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
A better home atmosphere would be positive for recruiting. You are free to think the team's performance doesn't warrant it, but that is a fact. It's not a defense of Cronin. You guys are jumping to conclusions for the sake of arguing.
Is our home atmosphere bad? College basketball in general is not as big as it was in the 80, 90s. It isn’t just here. Nationally, The sport is basically just a tournament. Much like baseball, it’s a regional sport.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 12:02 PM   #265
All we do is Guyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Is our home atmosphere bad? College basketball in general is not as big as it was in the 80, 90s. It isn’t just here. Nationally, The sport is basically just a tournament. Much like baseball, it’s a regional sport.
I'm sure our attendance and atmosphere is good compared to most programs. It's just weird that someone said a better atmosphere could help recruiting and they're excited about the new arena, and people jump to "STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR OUR MILLIONAIRE COACH"
Old 04-06-2018, 12:03 PM   #266
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
And I think a lot of this has to do with the fans. If fans were still as passionate as they were when Huggins was here it would probably help with recruiting, a lot. If we packed every game, and went crazy like we used to, it would be nothing but positive. And it's changed a lot of course since Mick first started, but having grown up going to games, and seeing how they are even this or last year, it's just not the same. I really hope it gets even better with the new arena, UC needs that hype again.
So far you have blamed the fans, players, and said we need better assistant coaches. Everyone except the coach. Hmmmm
Old 04-06-2018, 12:05 PM   #267
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by All we do is Guyn View Post
I'm sure our attendance and atmosphere is good compared to most programs. It's just weird that someone said a better atmosphere could help recruiting and they're excited about the new arena, and people jump to "STOP MAKING EXCUSES FOR OUR MILLIONAIRE COACH"
ITs not weird whenever he and others have blamed everyone and everything except the coach. I don’t blame the coach for everything but not putting anything on him is dumb
Old 04-07-2018, 01:41 AM   #268
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Well go back and read my posts. I've certainly put things on Mick. Almost every post we've discussed it, I've said he had plenty of faults. But you guys act like all of it falls on him, or at least almost all. Which I'm sorry I just don't believe to be the case. And I'm sorry that our fan base has changed. I've been going to games for 20+ years now, and was there for the glory days with Huggs. I know he built that team up and our program to an all time high, and our fans were wild. But if we are gonna talk about why things aren't the same, don't we have to look at the reaction of the fans too? Do you think many of these other blue bloods (which I would say we pretty much were minus a NC when Huggins was here), would just completely abandon the team and program for 5, 6, 7 years just because the coach got fired for being, well you know.. I know people were mad at the school, but the basketball program didn't fire him, and the players certainly didn't. But it all disappeared for a long time, and Mick has done a lot, minus a long tourney run, and yet we still only sell out big games, the atmosphere is none the same. I'm just pointing out facts, I'm not outright blaming everything on this, clearly. But to ignore it... I know I'm the guy you n jake are loving to hate on because I don't hate our coach for losing, or wanna cry for a summer, but alright lll
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 01:42 AM   #269
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
And thank you to the people who realize I'm just pointing out a few things I think could effect recruiting besides the fact that players don't wanna come here because the coach yells too much.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 08:17 AM   #270
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
Well go back and read my posts. I've certainly put things on Mick. Almost every post we've discussed it, I've said he had plenty of faults. But you guys act like all of it falls on him, or at least almost all. Which I'm sorry I just don't believe to be the case. And I'm sorry that our fan base has changed. I've been going to games for 20+ years now, and was there for the glory days with Huggs. I know he built that team up and our program to an all time high, and our fans were wild. But if we are gonna talk about why things aren't the same, don't we have to look at the reaction of the fans too? Do you think many of these other blue bloods (which I would say we pretty much were minus a NC when Huggins was here), would just completely abandon the team and program for 5, 6, 7 years just because the coach got fired for being, well you know.. I know people were mad at the school, but the basketball program didn't fire him, and the players certainly didn't. But it all disappeared for a long time, and Mick has done a lot, minus a long tourney run, and yet we still only sell out big games, the atmosphere is none the same. I'm just pointing out facts, I'm not outright blaming everything on this, clearly. But to ignore it... I know I'm the guy you n jake are loving to hate on because I don't hate our coach for losing, or wanna cry for a summer, but alright lll
We were at NKU last year. That made things a little tougher. I remember being told big things about what the new arena would mean. So hopefully it's true.

The only way fans in attendance can really have an impact is if we are recruiting guys during the season. I don't think that happens all that often. Seems like if you want a guy for the fall, you get him on a visit for a football game before the basketball season starts. Then obviously right now is the other main time we add players. So I just don't put anything into the rowdiness of our fans hurting our recruiting at all.

Fans aren't going to be that psyched to watch a team score 65 ppg though next year. So we need to make sure that doesn't happen. I don't know if there's any way around it though.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote