Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles

Old 09-02-2016, 08:52 AM   #31
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrakkerBarrellsX View Post
Cronin could easily give 500k of his salary back or give jobs to aau coaches little if nothing and have their top players come here. Ellison from Princeton should be at UC within two years. He's coached all of the top ohio kids and he's fairly young. I believe he coached one of king james top teams if im not mistaken. I guarantee if we don't get him OSU gets him in package deal for beazley.
How do our local kids stack up Nationally? Is there anybody we should be in on that we are not. I have to admit I don't follow high school basketball much at all. The last time i did was when James Dews played at Lakota East.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 09:39 AM   #32
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Cronin could easily give 500k of his salary back or give jobs to aau coaches little if nothing and have their top players come here. Ellison from Princeton should be at UC within two years. He's coached all of the top ohio kids and he's fairly young. I believe he coached one of king james top teams if im not mistaken. I guarantee if we don't get him OSU gets him in package deal for beazley.
I love how people want to tell other people what they should do with their salary. Last time I checked, this is America. You should be paid what you are worth and you are worth what someone is willing to pay.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:03 AM   #33
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

CrakkerBarrellsX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonS View Post
I love how people want to tell other people what they should do with their salary. Last time I checked, this is America. You should be paid what you are worth and you are worth what someone is willing to pay.
You got to spend $$$ to get $$$. The more you win the fatter your envelope $$$ go be. Not telling him how to spend. Just giving him an investment tip.
CrakkerBarrellsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:09 AM   #34
CrakkerBarrellsX
Banned

CrakkerBarrellsX is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
How do our local kids stack up Nationally? Is there anybody we should be in on that we are not. I have to admit I don't follow high school basketball much at all. The last time i did was when James Dews played at Lakota East.
We don't get 5star kids every year locally but Ohio has multiple top 100 players every year. Ellison at Princeton has probably better aau connections in ohio than any coach in our region in state. He's worth and could be had for under 300k just for his ohio connections alone. We should always have 2-3 former top high school or aau coaches on bench at all times of our money tight. They have connection with parents you couldn't imagine.
CrakkerBarrellsX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:30 AM   #35
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Mick owes nothing more to this program besides doing the best he can and focusing on making a run with the current resources he has. This is probably his best team yet and next year we might be saying the same thing depending on how Cane Broome plays. Some of you aren't satisfied with the results and that's your right. But do you know how different our record could have been last year? There were so many close games that could have gone the other way-

St. Joe's (-2), UConn (3/4 court shot after time expired), Butler (-2), Iowa St (-2), SMU (-2), Temple (-2), Memphis (-4), Tulsa (-2). 30-4 (adding a loss assuming we lost the round after St. Joe's). That would have put us at a 1 or 2 seed. Mick had us in position to win more games than our record showed. He's a great coach IMO and I think some of you need to appreciate what we have. Enough with the offseason b****ing and enjoy the game for what it is.

Happy Friday!
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #36
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
We don't get 5star kids every year locally but Ohio has multiple top 100 players every year. Ellison at Princeton has probably better aau connections in ohio than any coach in our region in state. He's worth and could be had for under 300k just for his ohio connections alone. We should always have 2-3 former top high school or aau coaches on bench at all times of our money tight. They have connection with parents you couldn't imagine.
If we do get in the Big 12 we will need to elevate our efforts to enhance our recruiting. I think Mick can identify talent but getting them is another matter. He seems to get a bunch of under the radar guys. In the Big 12 he will be up against Self and Smart to just name two. He'll have a better product to sell I hope he can get it done.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 11:52 AM   #37
Bearcat_NTS
Epic Member

Bearcat_NTS will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Mick owes nothing more to this program besides doing the best he can and focusing on making a run with the current resources he has. This is probably his best team yet and next year we might be saying the same thing depending on how Cane Broome plays. Some of you aren't satisfied with the results and that's your right. But do you know how different our record could have been last year? There were so many close games that could have gone the other way-

St. Joe's (-2), UConn (3/4 court shot after time expired), Butler (-2), Iowa St (-2), SMU (-2), Temple (-2), Memphis (-4), Tulsa (-2). 30-4 (adding a loss assuming we lost the round after St. Joe's). That would have put us at a 1 or 2 seed. Mick had us in position to win more games than our record showed. He's a great coach IMO and I think some of you need to appreciate what we have. Enough with the offseason b****ing and enjoy the game for what it is.

Happy Friday!
Good logic. Nice how you completely ignore the win over USF by 3, and the win over UConn by 1. Using your same logic we easily could have been 20-11 and in the NIT...
Bearcat_NTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:13 PM   #38
BearcatSpaniard513
Elite Member

BearcatSpaniard513 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat_NTS View Post
Good logic. Nice how you completely ignore the win over USF by 3, and the win over UConn by 1. Using your same logic we easily could have been 20-11 and in the NIT...
Wow, why am I not surprised to see your negative spin on things? Shocker. If you are going to try and debate that we didn't have a good amount of games last year that could have gone the other way then there must be no hope for happiness in your life.
BearcatSpaniard513 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #39
#BearcatNation
Epic Member

#BearcatNation is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearcatSpaniard513 View Post
Wow, why am I not surprised to see your negative spin on things? Shocker. If you are going to try and debate that we didn't have a good amount of games last year that could have gone the other way then there must be no hope for happiness in your life.
While I sort of see where NTS is coming from, i.e. you can't assume all those close games would ever go UC's way, I still see Spaniard's point. We lost far more close games than we won, and that's obvious. Part of that is dumb luck, but part of that is the inability to close a game out. No way were we ever going 30-4 last year, but every game that is within two points is basically a toss-up. We were 1-6 in games decided by two points. If we were say 4-3, suddenly we're 25-8 and staring down a 6 seed, which could completely alter NCAA Tournament play, depending on the draw.

It's perfectly okay to be upset and disappointed, but last year was probably the weirdest year I can remember for UC hoops. It seemed like nothing possible could fall our way. Here's to this upcoming season being the opposite.
#BearcatNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 12:38 PM   #40
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
If we do get in the Big 12 we will need to elevate our efforts to enhance our recruiting. I think Mick can identify talent but getting them is another matter. He seems to get a bunch of under the radar guys. In the Big 12 he will be up against Self and Smart to just name two. He'll have a better product to sell I hope he can get it done.
IF UC gets into the B12, recruiting should naturally get a bump being in a P5. Along with that is a much higher budget for amenities and assistants.