Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Community Clubhouse > Cincinnati Pro Sports

Old 05-18-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Yeah, but you're most prominent face of the program kind of calls it out to attention. That is the problem of being in a big city. I know UC has done everything it can to push away this element from the neighborhood, but it is a losing battle.
Old 05-18-2010, 04:39 PM   #12
JasonS
Football Moderator

JasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura aboutJasonS has a spectacular aura about
I agree. So far ESPN hasn't gotten a hold of it. Hopefully it stays that way. There is nothing worse than the National media blowing things up.
JasonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:54 AM   #13
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Per NFL rule, rookies cannot participate in any team activities other than the rookie minicamp until final examinations are concluded at the player's college. The rule applies even if a player has withdrawn from school, as so many do — Gilyard included — following the fall semester to concentrate on the pre-draft process.

So even though he wasn't attending classes this spring, school's finally out for Gilyard, a fourth-round pick. With Cincinnati's final exams concluding Thursday, Gilyard was on the practice field in Earth City for the start of the three-day, full squad minicamp.

"It was great to have him out there," coach Steve Spagnuolo said. "Because of the rule with exams he couldn't be here until now. It's going to take him a little while to get up to speed ... but he'll get caught up quick."

It's Gilyard's goal to be caught up by the start of training camp at the end of July, which doesn't give him much time. Once the minicamp ends Saturday, the Rams have just one more week of OTAs, encompassing three practices, after which the veterans are dismissed until the start of camp. The rookies stay for one additional week before getting their own break from Rams Park.

"I have a little catching up to do; I came in behind the bubble," said Gilyard, who will throw out a malaprop or two during interviews. "But there's no doubt in my mind I'm going to catch up through me working after practice, sitting with the 'Qs' (quarterbacks) in the (meeting) room, and just meshing with them and the coaches and plucking their brains."

As for not being able to participate in the OTAs, Gilyard said, "It just (stunk) that I couldn't out here sooner, but I'm out here now, and it's all business."

Gilyard spent his time in exile in Cincinnati catching passes from former Bearcats quarterback Tony Pike, a sixth-round draft pick by Carolina, as well as current Bearcats QB Zach Collaros. And when a human arm wasn't available, he caught balls from a JUGs machine, sometimes having them fired over a chair while on his rump — the better to work on his concentration.

The Rams sent him study materials to try to stay current with what was taking place 300-plus miles away in St. Louis.

"They sent me some stuff to look over so I could stay refreshed on where I need to line up, the splits, and so on and so forth," Gilyard said. "Our route tree, things of that sort, just so I wouldn't come in like a deer in the headlights."

He spoke regularly on the phone with offensive coordinator Pat Shurmur and wide receivers coach Nolan Cromwell. And even more regularly with fellow rookies, quarterback Sam Bradford and cornerback Jerome Murphy. "Just trying to get a feel of what we're doing on both sides of the ball," Gilyard said.

Now that he's back, Gilyard says he plans to "just become a sponge," soaking up everything he can.

During the morning practice Thursday, Cromwell was in the huddle with Gilyard, helping him to get lined up and running the proper route after the play call. Gilyard stayed after practice to work with Bradford on a few routes after both the morning and afternoon sessions Thursday.

"Now that he's here we're going to try to put in as much work as possible," Bradford said. "Both of us are learning things. It's good for us to stay after practice because I'm learning, he's learning, and hopefully we can get on the same page."

At this point, Gilyard says the challenge is more mental than physical.

"The catching and the running, that's the easy part," Gilyard following the morning practice.

As if to emphasize that point, he made a couple of nice catches in the afternoon practice. But Gilyard added, "It's just worrying about that playbook. The playbook's like a phone book. It's like the Yellow Pages."

On Thursday, Laurent Robinson, Donnie Avery, and Danny Amendola were the top three wide receivers with the first-team offense. But Gilyard is determined to crack that group and be a major contributor as a rookie.

"I didn't think they brought me in to sit on the sideline," he said. "So I'm going to come in and try to contribute the best way I can to bring the Greatest Show on Turf back to St. Louis.

"Whatever you want me to do, I'm going to do. Serve water? I'll serve water. Gatorade? I'll crack the top. You know what I'm saying? I'm just that guy."

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/spo...3?OpenDocument
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
RavensInsider The. St. Louis Rams have agreed to a four-year, $2.34 million deal with rookie wide receiver Mardy Gilyard, according to a league source.
about 8 hours ago via web
Retweeted by hansensouthbend and 10 others
Old 06-28-2010, 07:32 PM   #15
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Good for him, couldn't happen to a better guy. I immediately became a Rams fam when they drafted him.
Old 07-07-2010, 05:00 PM   #16
swg
Epic Member

What life lessons #rams rookie WR Mardy Gilyard learned at the rookie symposium. #bearcats http://bit.ly/9VjASU
joshkatzowitz (Josh Katzowitz), 7/7/2010 9:54 AM
Old 10-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #17
nparker1
Elite Member

nparker1 is on a distinguished road
Sucks for Mardy. Due to injuries, his playing time was going to increase. Unfortunately, he suffered an injury himself. Lets hope he can recover quickly, because I think he could really be an intricate part in the new Rams offense, and gel with Bradford.
Go Bearcats!
nparker1 is offline   Reply With Quote