Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-16-2019, 08:21 AM   #101
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
I get what you are saying but I disagree. Each member of the team has a job to do. The coaches job includes dealing with the refs and ensuring his team gets a fair shake. This will at times result in some confrontations. It’s not ok for players cause that is not their job.
Thank you. That was the dumbest point. The players are not supposed to talk/lobby the refs in college -- that's not their job. If a player got two techs and ejected cause he was arguing with a ref that is absolutely a headline. So the general point is dumb. This particular instance these refs were waaaaaaay too quick with the whistle.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:24 AM   #102
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Do you think acting the way he acted is going to get them a fair shake? Did it make the refs better?

Do you think Mick calling for them to be suspended, and for their pay to be taken away will make them more likely to be "fair" to us in the future?

There's fighting for your team and then there is doing what Mick did last night. Mick crossed the line.
Please. Mick didn't cross any imaginary line. The officiating in conference has been piss poor and the league office needed to be called out. It won't have any negative or positive effect down the stretch this conference season. Hopefully the AAC steps up next year.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:26 AM   #103
Helicopter

Quote:
Are you saying officials hold grudges and make calls accordingly? Then they should be fired.
*whispers* they don't

honest question -- do you guys only watch Bearcat games? Other leagues have a LOT better officiating. The AAC is trotting out high school refs.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:30 AM   #104
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helicopter View Post
Please. Mick didn't cross any imaginary line. The officiating in conference has been piss poor and the league office needed to be called out. It won't have any negative or positive effect down the stretch this conference season. Hopefully the AAC steps up next year.

he did post game and he'll get fined for it.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:32 AM   #105
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
*whispers* they don't

honest question -- do you guys only watch Bearcat games? Other leagues have a LOT better officiating. The AAC is trotting out high school refs.

we can admit there is a difference in they suck (which they do) and they personally attack UC basketball (which is what mick is claiming)
Old 01-16-2019, 08:34 AM   #106
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Are you saying officials hold grudges and make calls accordingly? Then they should be fired.
I would say the best refs are hard to influence but the worst of them can be. That can be positive or negative influence. We hear about make up calls all the time during games. I imagine how a coach treats refs post game could have similar effects. A good ref will call the game as neutral as possible just like a good judge will hear a case. Biases can/will affect many/most of them to different degrees whether it's consciously done or not.

I think it would be a bit naive to think they can all be completely unbiased and 100% neutral.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2019, 08:38 AM   #107
Helicopter

I didn't hear Mick say that in his post-game. He said they weren't any good and in this scenario were acting like "tough guys." The Tulsa call was inexcusable.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:41 AM   #108
Helicopter

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I would say the best refs are hard to influence but the worst of them can be. That can be positive or negative influence. We hear about make up calls all the time during games. I imagine how a coach treats refs post game could have similar effects. A good ref will call the game as neutral as possible just like a good judge will hear a case. Biases can/will affect many/most of them to different degrees whether it's consciously done or not.

I think it would be a bit naive to think they can all be completely unbiased and 100% neutral.
In the course of a game you can absolutely work a crew in your favor. Mick might be the best in the league at it. Kevin Ollie was the worst I've ever seen at it. A bit subjective, sure. But this idea a crew is going to make a concerted effort to slight a team, player, coach over the course of a season is ridiculous. Cronin isn't suggesting that either. Cronin is simply saying they suck at their job and are not good enough for this level of basketball. I have to agree with him.
Old 01-16-2019, 08:42 AM   #109
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
I didn't hear Mick say that in his post-game. He said they weren't any good and in this scenario were acting like "tough guys." The Tulsa call was inexcusable.

so saying if Cumberland was wearing a Duke jersey he'd get to the FT line more wasn't saying they don't call fouls cause he plays for cincinnati?
Old 01-16-2019, 08:51 AM   #110
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
In the course of a game you can absolutely work a crew in your favor. Mick might be the best in the league at it. Kevin Ollie was the worst I've ever seen at it. A bit subjective, sure. But this idea a crew is going to make a concerted effort to slight a team, player, coach over the course of a season is ridiculous. Cronin isn't suggesting that either. Cronin is simply saying they suck at their job and are not good enough for this level of basketball. I have to agree with him.
We can all agree many refs suck and we get some bad crews but that is not the point at all. I am also not saying Cronin was saying we will get biased calls in the future because of his post game comments. I am saying that it is my own opinion that certain refs can develop a bias (however slight) and once you have that you have a recipe for less favorable calls or more favorable calls. It doesn't even have to be a conscious bias to have affects.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote