Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-15-2019, 09:14 AM   #21
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Jenifer is not a leader personality wise. He's quiet and clearly more of a follower.

You know what's funny is Broome is a guy that kinda those traits. I think thats part of the issue of him and cronin clashing the way they have. Broome has that cocky swagger to him (when he's not all down on himself, which he has been this year) that was clear as early as the black/red scrimmage last year. The longer he's been here though the less it shows.

I would venture to say last year didn't really have that guy either. Gary was a quiet leader that did it by example. KWash was the right personality, but kyle would get into the dog house a lot.
Last year we didn’t need it as much with the guys we through on the court. Lots of experience. This year we need a leader. Since Cumberland is quiet and Jenifer is quiet and Broome can’t seem to get out of cronins doghouse...I’m not sure who it is! And with this team it concerns me a lot more than last year. I could see Scott pulling the team together on the court, etc but he is up and down and the part of that leader requires confidence and steady production for credibility.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:23 AM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Last year we didn’t need it as much with the guys we through on the court. Lots of experience. This year we need a leader. Since Cumberland is quiet and Jenifer is quiet and Broome can’t seem to get out of cronins doghouse...I’m not sure who it is! And with this team it concerns me a lot more than last year. I could see Scott pulling the team together on the court, etc but he is up and down and the part of that leader requires confidence and steady production for credibility.

I think its important for all teams to have that vocal guy the team looks to. Caupain was great at it. We really could have used a guy like that during the last game we played last year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:25 AM   #23
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
USF is second in the country in attempts at the rim. That might work in our favor since we over-defend the rim at the expense of the 3 point line. Hopefully we don't overcompensate against the wrong opponent.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #24
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

Considering we haven't covered in 3 games and haven't come close to covering in 2 of them, it seems like easy money to bet against us.

On the other hand, USF is young (they start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a RS junior), not any more talented than us on paper, and haven't played in a truly hostile environment yet this season (Temple this past weekend was their best test yet).

If we cover tonight then we're on our way to re-establishing ourselves as a contender in the league. If we have another barn burner then our outlook for the rest of the season continues to look iffy.
-13 is way too high considering no one has beaten USF by more than 3 points.

Bet on USF to cover unless UC starts shooting lights out.

But I expect a tough tough game tonight. USF has about as much fight in them as any team I've seen all year.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2019, 09:36 AM   #25
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
...they have the nations leading assist rate running the point...
Great preview. I have just one small correction. Rideau is 8th in the country in assist rate, far below Murray St's Ja Morant, who averages 11 per game. Regardless, Rideau is a prolific passer. We've already seen a few top 30 assist rates this season though, against UCLA, Miss St and Tulsa.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:37 AM   #26
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
USF is second in the country in attempts at the rim. That might work in our favor since we over-defend the rim at the expense of the 3 point line. Hopefully we don't overcompensate against the wrong opponent.
They attack the rim. and its mostly just to draw fouls, which they are elite at.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #27
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Great preview. I have just one small correction. Rideau is 8th in the country in assist rate, far below Murray St's Ja Morant, who averages 11 per game. Regardless, Rideau is a prolific passer. We've already seen a few top 30 assist rates this season though, against UCLA, Miss St and Tulsa.
Yea this was my bad. when I was doing the preview, I saw #1 in steal rate and then also saw a single digit next to Assist rate. My eyes deceived me
Old 01-15-2019, 09:49 AM   #28
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
They attack the rim. and its mostly just to draw fouls, which they are elite at.
And as you mentioned in the preview, they are terrible at the line. Three of their starters (including Rideau) shoot 54% or less. Might be a game to get Diarra in there to accumulate some fouls at the rim. And just let Nsoseme foul himself out. No reason to let them score from the paint if they're that bad at the line. They shot 70% at the rim against Temple while going just 10-25 (40%) at the line. The strategy is risky though. UConn fouled them 32 times and they shot less than 50% at the rim but went 29-46 at the line.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:54 AM   #29
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
And as you mentioned in the preview, they are terrible at the line. Three of their starters (including Rideau) shoot 54% or less. Might be a game to get Diarra in there to accumulate some fouls at the rim. And just let Nsoseme foul himself out. No reason to let them score from the paint if they're that bad at the line. They shot 70% at the rim against Temple while going just 10-25 (40%) at the line. The strategy is risky though. UConn fouled them 32 times and they shot less than 50% at the rim but went 29-46 at the line.
29-46 is frickin insane.

They foul alot themselves too. I might not get home until midnight if both teams shoot 40 free throws a piece
Old 01-15-2019, 10:00 AM   #30
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

Considering we haven't covered in 3 games and haven't come close to covering in 2 of them, it seems like easy money to bet against us.

On the other hand, USF is young (they start 2 freshmen, 2 sophomores and a RS junior), not any more talented than us on paper, and haven't played in a truly hostile environment yet this season (Temple this past weekend was their best test yet).

If we cover tonight then we're on our way to re-establishing ourselves as a contender in the league. If we have another barn burner then our outlook for the rest of the season continues to look iffy.
This feels like a game we win by 30. Young team on the road. Home team with a pissed off coach.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote