Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 07-06-2017, 11:09 PM   #31
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I disagree with this and think it's unfair. SK was the age Evans is now by the time he played his first game. Evans knows the game. He's smart and is a very tough, instinctual competitor.
I have to agree with you here. I think Jacobs Evans has a plenty high basketball IQ. He's just now coming into his role. Again SK was not surrounded by near the talent Evans was in their respective sophomore years. And evans was the leading scorer without being the primary ball handler. He does struggle to create his own shot sometimes, but o don't think it's too much of a concern. His definitely smart and super athletic, this'll be our last season with him.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 01:08 AM   #32
Robert
Elite Member

Robert is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
I disagree with this and think it's unfair. SK was the age Evans is now by the time he played his first game. Evans knows the game. He's smart and is a very tough, instinctual competitor.
It wasn't meant to say that Jacob Evans isn't a bright kid. It was more to say that he lacks killer instinct. But yes, it is important to remember that SK was 24 as a senior.
Robert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 07:41 AM   #33
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
It wasn't meant to say that Jacob Evans isn't a bright kid. It was more to say that he lacks killer instinct. But yes, it is important to remember that SK was 24 as a senior.
I know his shot is much different than Cumberland but if he could get a little better at the step back J or pump fake it will open up his game tremendously. He's trying to use his dribble to get past his defender too much. Cumberland has great timing instincts and Evans could learn from watching him. Evans is a smart kid. There is no shame in picking up skills by watching and mimicking other players strong points.

Cumberland is a flat footed shooter which makes it easier on him to use the pump fake but Jacob can get better at it. I think it's up to the coach to notice and have them work on things like that. The players aren't always aware and the coach should be the person who can let them know of their deficiencies.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2017, 07:49 AM   #34
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
Bingo. Never seen a guy as athletic as Evans struggle to create space off the bounce as much as he does. Felt like he had a disproportionate number of jumpers off the dribble blocked for a player of his caliber.
completely agree. I think defenders knew he was just going to dribble side to side and pull up. He never really attacked at a player or tried to force contact.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:42 PM   #35
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Because I’m absolute college basketball junkie, I went and subscribed to Synergy. And on the iPad you can load every possession by every player in college basketball.

I wanted to watch every poisession from jarron this season. The clips started newest to oldest and it showed how much jarron tried to attack Lonzo Ball. I love that about him. He will find the best player and try to put it on them.

Jarron is going to be special. I can just see it by how different he played in the 2nd half
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:15 AM   #36
TheShoeFits

TheShoeFits will become famous soon enough
The top 25 college basketball players with something to prove this season

Here are the under-the-radar players who will have breakout seasons in 2017-18

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-this-season/

Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati: Bulky man with a long-range game, the kind of player that Mick Cronin was long looking for. Cincinnati is no longer just a defensive force. Thanks to Cumberland (a 65-percent shooter from 2-point rang), the Bearcats are coming off their most efficient offensive year in the Cronin era.
TheShoeFits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 12:34 PM   #37
indydoug

indydoug is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShoeFits View Post
The top 25 college basketball players with something to prove this season

Here are the under-the-radar players who will have breakout seasons in 2017-18

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...e-this-season/

Jarron Cumberland, Cincinnati: Bulky man with a long-range game, the kind of player that Mick Cronin was long looking for. Cincinnati is no longer just a defensive force. Thanks to Cumberland (a 65-percent shooter from 2-point rang), the Bearcats are coming off their most efficient offensive year in the Cronin era.
That's 2 years in a row (Evans) where a Cats player has showed up on a national break-out list. Indicative of better talent in the program. Go cats!
indydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:40 PM   #38
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydoug View Post
That's 2 years in a row (Evans) where a Cats player has showed up on a national break-out list. Indicative of better talent in the program. Go cats!
Hopefully Cumberland has more of a breakout year then Evans did last year.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #39
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Hopefully Cumberland has more of a breakout year then Evans did last year.
WHAT??????????

Are you saying Jacob Evans some how disappointed in his sophomore campaign???

How?

His already good offensive rating went from 112 to 124

3pt% from 33 to 42%

2pt% from 42 to 52%

His true shooting % was up 10 points

Jacob Evans has the epitome of a breakout season by any measure
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2017, 09:29 PM   #40
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
WHAT??????????

Are you saying Jacob Evans some how disappointed in his sophomore campaign???

How?

His already good offensive rating went from 112 to 124

3pt% from 33 to 42%

2pt% from 42 to 52%

His true shooting % was up 10 points

Jacob Evans has the epitome of a breakout season by any measure
I'm not saying he disappointed, just when I think of a top 25 breakout season in all of college basketball I want more then 13.5ppg when playing a number of games against junky teams. I thought Evans played well at times but he was far from dominant a lot of times. I think he could be, just didn't have the mentality to be dominant last year.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote