Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2018 Recruiting Profiles
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2018, 07:45 PM   #551
GuyfromNKY

GuyfromNKY is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1518 View Post
Thank you for confirming. 😊 Shall I rephrase for the guy from Kentucky?

“I think any ‘General Recruiting’ examples of teams not in power conferences getting higher major prospects is connected and appropriate to our discussions of being frustrated with using that as an excuse for recruiting to UC.”

But feel free to cite other definitions as well such as “having a demostrable bearing on the matter at hand” or “ affording evidence tending to prove or disprove the matter at issue or under discussion.”

Have a nice evening
Lol I was just being a smart ass because the guy a couple posts up pasted a definition.

I am not a big excuse guy but being non-power 5 is a detriment to recruiting. Are non-power 5 schools going to get 5 stars? Of course they are. But every recruits situation is different. He was leaning 5 different schools before he choose Nevada and ended up committing in May when the majority of schools scholarships are filled. And now people are using that as to why Mick sucks at recruiting? It's a garbage reason.
GuyfromNKY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 06:36 AM   #552
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyfromNKY View Post
Lol I was just being a smart ass because the guy a couple posts up pasted a definition.

I am not a big excuse guy but being non-power 5 is a detriment to recruiting. Are non-power 5 schools going to get 5 stars? Of course they are. But every recruits situation is different. He was leaning 5 different schools before he choose Nevada and ended up committing in May when the majority of schools scholarships are filled. And now people are using that as to why Mick sucks at recruiting? It's a garbage reason.
Couldn't agree more. The one person who has direct contact with a lot of recruits has repeatedly stated how not being in a P-5 impacts recruiting. Mick and staff work very hard to overcome that obstacle. But it is a huge obstacle.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 09:09 AM   #553
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Couldn't agree more. The one person who has direct contact with a lot of recruits has repeatedly stated how not being in a P-5 impacts recruiting. Mick and staff work very hard to overcome that obstacle. But it is a huge obstacle.
We all know it has an impact.

But this conversation started bc a worse school in an even worse conference, with a coach making less than half of our coach just landed a 5*. Might not be the best time for your whole spiel.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 10:41 AM   #554
GuyfromNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post

But this conversation started bc a worse school in an even worse conference, with a coach making less than half of our coach just landed a 5*. Might not be the best time for your whole spiel.
It's not a spiel. It is realistic thinking.

I'm interested in what your conclusion on UC basketball is based on Nevada getting a 5*. Last year Western Kentucky got a 5* and look how impactful that was to their program. Stuff happens in recruiting and this is one of those things. Absolutely nothing can be concluded on UC basketball and Mick Cronin as a coach because a 5* choose Nevada in the middle of May.
Old 05-13-2018, 10:53 AM   #555
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyfromNKY View Post
It's not a spiel. It is realistic thinking.

I'm interested in what your conclusion on UC basketball is based on Nevada getting a 5*. Last year Western Kentucky got a 5* and look how impactful that was to their program. Stuff happens in recruiting and this is one of those things. Absolutely nothing can be concluded on UC basketball and Mick Cronin as a coach because a 5* choose Nevada in the middle of May.
True. It’s only a small data point in a group of a lot larger data points.

I believe those that follow recruiting more than me that conference matters to recruiting for basketball. I do think this is a disadvantage for Cincy. I think there are obvious ways to get past it, most effectively is playing deep into the tournament and gaining national recognition. Gonzaga did it. Witchita State did it. Several schools have done it.

We have not. We blew our 2 best chances. So now the staff has to work harder again to get us back in a position to change the game for us in recruiting. I’m just tired of waiting and wondering if we have the right staff to do it.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2018, 11:40 AM   #556
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post

Young man there has been nothing more tiring then your spiel since our last game. Without knowing why the player picked that school or what inducements May have been used it is really foolish to speculate. It is fun though.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:45 AM   #557
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

I believe those that follow recruiting more than me that conference matters to recruiting for basketball. I do think this is a disadvantage for Cincy. I think there are obvious ways to get past it, most effectively is playing deep into the tournament and gaining national recognition. Gonzaga did it. Witchita State did it. Several schools have done it.

We have not. We blew our 2 best chances. So now the staff has to work harder again to get us back in a position to change the game for us in recruiting. I’m just tired of waiting and wondering if we have the right staff to do it.
Is Gonzaga and WSU landing 5 stars? Cronin has landed a couple. Cronin is recruiting fine he needs to figure out how to do better in the tourney. 30 win seasons do not sound like we have big talent issues.
Old 05-13-2018, 11:58 AM   #558
GuyfromNKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post

I believe we do have the right staff to do it for several reasons: we continually get to the tournament, 7-8 years in a row, and we have had back to back 30 win seasons. Also, I believe Cronin has shown an ability to adapt his recruiting strategy based on the results on the floor. Seven or eight years ago he recruited athletes that needed someone to teach them offense. He realized that wasn't working, mainly because he has trouble teaching offense, so he started recruiting more offensive minded players and teach them defense. Based on this I expect him to continue to adapt and find UC quality players who will help us advance.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:01 PM   #559
GuyfromNKY

Quote:
Is Gonzaga and WSU landing 5 stars? Cronin has landed a couple. Cronin is recruiting fine he needs to figure out how to do better in the tourney. 30 win seasons do not sound like we have big talent issues.
Exactly. There are three boxes that need to be checked for a college coach. Regular season success, tournament appearances and long tournament runs. He has checked off two of the three and now he needs to look himself in the mirror and figure how to check off the third box.
Old 05-13-2018, 12:44 PM   #560
IDC

IDC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Young man there has been nothing more tiring then your spiel since our last game.
+1
IDC is offline   Reply With Quote