Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Football > Football Recruiting > Recruiting Profile Archives

Old 05-15-2010, 07:02 AM   #21
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
He has offers from 11 high major schools already.
bearcat jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 06:38 AM   #22
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

bearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the roughbearcat jeff is a jewel in the rough
My first look at Gary Harris and all the hype I had heard was right on. The Hamilton Southeastern guard is better than advertised. He had four three-pointers, scored 23 and led his team to an overtime win over Missouri Thunder in the tournament play. Harris, whose mother played at Purdue and one set of his grandparents are from Louisville, is one of those players blowing up nationally this spring.

http://jodydemling.courier-journal.com/
Old 05-16-2010, 06:49 AM   #23
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
guard is better than advertised
Looking forward to seeing how his recruitment goes.
swg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:40 AM   #24
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

This kid will be one of the most recruited players in his class. He is the total package.

While SYF came away with the win over D3 Heat, Gary Harris poured in 36 points, and asserted himself as one of the best players in the 2012 class. The 6-foot-4 Harris had his outside jumper working, finished with explosive athleticism, and was simply too big and too athletic for anyone on the SYF roster. It was a big finish to a breakout weekend for Harris.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1085251
Old 05-17-2010, 07:28 AM   #25
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Harris scored 36 points in his team's 84-82 to loss to the SYF Players in the 17-and-under bracket on Sunday morning. Despite the loss and early exit, there was probably no hotter name than Harris among the 219 teams in the tournament.
Harris, whose team was playing up a year in age, has offers from Butler, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Vanderbilt and Xavier. He is likely to pick up a few more once things heat up in July.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...s-stock-rising
Old 05-31-2010, 07:31 AM   #26
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

In case you haven’t noticed, it’s a slow news time, so I figured I’d switch things up and begin profiling some of the 2012 recruits on Indiana’s radar. We’ll kick it off with Hamilton Southeastern guard Gary Harris, who might be the best prospect in the state in this loaded class.

The Essentials: 6-4, 195 lbs guard for Hamilton Southeastern and D3 Heat

The Schools: Butler, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, IUPUI, Miami (FL), Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Vanderbilt, Xavier have all offered scholarships. Florida, Louisville, Marquette, Michigan, Michigan State, Oregon State and West Virginia have shown interest.

The Numbers: 14 points and five rebounds as a sophomore for Hamilton Southeastern, which finished 17-4.

The Scout Says: “Harris is more athletic than we’ve given credit for and he looked flat out explosive soaring for rebounds and dunks in the open court. He showed the full scoring package on Sunday, scoring off deep jumpers, mid-range pull-ups for drives to the rim.” – Scout.com analyst Evan Daniels on Harris’ play at the adidas May Classic.

The Highlights (courtesy of UMHoops.com)

http://www.insidethehall.com/
Old 06-04-2010, 09:56 AM   #27
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Hamilton Southeastern's Gary Harris (2012) will make an unofficial visit to Ohio State Friday after visiting Michigan and Michigan State Thursday with his teammate Jacobby Bledsoe.

Harris' mother, former Purdue standout Joy Holmes Harris, said her oldest son's rising stature as a prospect the last few weeks has been flattering, but she said the key is to keep from buying into it too much.

"He has a lot of people telling him he's doing a great job, but when he gets to college there are going to be a lot of players at that level or higher," she said. "You have to keep grounded and never be satisfied. You have to continue to make yourself better and push yourself to a higher level."

The 6-4 Harris has offers from Butler, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Vanderbilt and Xavier.

http://blogs.indystar.com/recruitingcentral/
Old 06-15-2010, 05:31 AM   #28
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Although he wasn't quite as dominant as he's been in other venues, he had his moments and drew a ton of praise from his fellow campers. The 6-foot-4 Harris shot the ball pretty well, displayed high level athleticism and will be under serious consideration for five star status in the class of 2012.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.c...sp?CID=1094268
Old 06-18-2010, 05:03 PM   #29
bearcat jeff
Hoops Moderator

Good article from the IndyStar.

His offer list currently includes: Butler, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, Iowa, IUPUI, Miami (Fla.), Michigan, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon State, Vanderbilt and Xavier.

http://www.indystar.com/article/2010...ormer-star-Mom
Old 06-19-2010, 11:50 AM   #30
swg
Epic Member

swg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the roughswg is a jewel in the rough
Indiana has long been known as one country's basketball hotbeds, so when a prospect is revered as the best in the Hoosier State, it is truly an elite distinction. There is still much to be sorted out on the court over the next two seasons by members of that state's deep 2012 class, but Fishers (Ind.) Hamilton-Southeastern guard Gary Harris is thought by many pundits to be the prospect most worthy of the No. 1 spot.

Harris' 15 points, five rebounds, two assists and three steals per game helped propel his Hamilton-Southeastern squad to a 17-4 record and a run to the state sectionals. At 6-foot-4 and 190 pounds, he bears many similarities to a current Michigan State Spartan.

"People say that with my explosiveness and stuff and because we're around the same height, I'm always compared to Durrell Summers," said Harris.

Outstanding athleticism is but one of Harris' defining traits. His tremendous versatility has also garnered a great deal of praise.

"A talented guard with impressive ball skills, Harris has the ability to play both guard spots," said ScoutHoops.com recruiting analyst Evan Daniels. "He's got a strong handle, sees the floor well and is a terrific passer. His shot looks solid and his range extends to the 3-point stripe."

Harris' game has really matured over the past year according to his AAU coach, former Cleveland State assistant Sean Bledsoe. Now his star pupil is punishing opponents on a regular basis.

"He plays like George Gervin," Bledsoe told Scout.com. "A few years ago, his main m.o. was that he could shoot the ball. Since last year in the summer the biggest improvement I've seen is his aggressiveness. Gary's always been strong, but he's figured out how to be tough now. Because he's tough, he does things on the court like a man. He really knows how to play."

Harris' scholarship tally certainly backs up that assertion. Though only a sophomore, he has already secured verbal offers from Butler, Cincinnati, Illinois, Indiana, IUPUI, Miami, Michigan State, Minnesota, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Oregon State and Xavier. Michigan appears poised to extend an invitation as well.

"I went up there to see (Michigan) play Notre Dame in football and then I saw them play UConn and beat UConn during the basketball season," Harris said. "The Big House, yeah that was crazy!"

Harris' most recent visit to Ann Arbor took place last Thursday. During his time on campus John Beilein made clear exactly what the Wolverines think of him.

"They said I was a priority and they would love to have me," Harris said. "They like my game and they said on June 15 they would offer me a scholarship when they can call us players."

Michigan's offer timetable may differ slightly from their contemporaries, but there is a reason for that -- one that should mitigate any perceived disadvantage.

"The NABC (National Association of Basketball Coaches) has developed, I guess, an unwritten rule that you try to do things that (won't) allow recruiting to jump down to seventh grade, eighth grade, ninth grade," Bledsoe said. "Now it is more of a gentleman's agreement than anything. Coach Beilein (who is the chair of the NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Ethics Coalition) does things by the book. He likes to make sure that he does things out of respect for everyone else. You've got to respect him for that because he can be out here offering all these eighth graders and ninth graders, but you want Michigan to be something special."

The Wolverines' headman has certainly made a strong impression on Harris. So, too, has his vaunted two-guard offense.

"Manny Harris led the Big Ten in shot attempts," Harris said. "They let their guards (play). If you can play, they let you play. I could see myself fitting into that system. (Beilein) is a great guy. He's a great coach. We just hit it off when we were down there. We really enjoyed each other's presence."

After wrapping things up with Beilein in Ann Arbor, Harris headed over to Michigan State. He has even greater familiarity with the Spartans thanks their decision to begin building a relationship with him almost two years ago.

"I worked for (Michigan State assistant) Coach (Mike) Garland from 2003 to 2006," Bledsoe said. "I've always called him about different kids. I remember when I first saw Gary I called (Garland) and I said, 'I know it is early, but this kid is going to be special.' Mike came down and he was one of the first guys that saw us. We played up (on an older AAU team) when Gary was an eighth grader, so (Garland) saw us in July and I remember him saying, 'Man, Gary's got a chance, he's really good.'"

The attention from Garland put MSU in an enviable position when the time came for Harris to decide on his first unofficial visit. He headed to East Lansing.

"The first time I went up on campus was last year," Harris said. "It's a great school. They're always up there as one of the top teams in the country. (Tom) Izzo really knows how to coach the team. (Last Thursday) my mom was up there for the first time. They showed us around at the Breslin Center. They showed us the practice gym, they showed us around the locker rooms, and then the coaching offices, but we really couldn't go into the actual arena because they had graduation. (Izzo) said that I was priority and that he's going to be out watching me this summer and they would love to have me."

Despite his strong feelings for both Michigan and Michigan State, Harris claims no favorites. At the moment he is content to visit as many of his suitors as possible in order to accurately assess what they each have to offer.

"I think I'm going to do Notre Dame later this month," he said. "Notre Dame and Xavier. All the campuses are the same -- they just differ in the size and location. The real big difference is going to be the coaching staff and the relationships that we have with each other. There is no specific timeline (for determining the best fit) right now. I'm just trying to see what's best for me. When I find out what's best for me, I'll make a decision."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100610/...#ixzz0rJoUnIpH
swg is offline   Reply With Quote