Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-01-2018, 11:34 AM   #41
jbreeds1

jbreeds1 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarradJ21 View Post
I don't know. I mean we have had back to back unbelievable seasons with great teams. This year won't be like that but there's still some talent and scorers.

This probably isn't the right thread, but where does everyone think this team will stack up. Top 3 Cronin teams are obviously the sweet 16 year and the 2016-2017 2017-2018 teams, but where would this upcoming year be? Obviously time will tell but lets not act like we are going to be awful.
I think Cane is going to have a huge season. The only thing stopping that could be playing time. Hopefully Cronin lets Cane and Justin play together a lot because we all know Justin will get the nod at starting pg.
jbreeds1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #42
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbreeds1 View Post
I think Cane is going to have a huge season. The only thing stopping that could be playing time. Hopefully Cronin lets Cane and Justin play together a lot because we all know Justin will get the nod at starting pg.
I just really don't see JJ starting this year. I mean it wouldn't totally shock me if I was wrong, but I think he rewarded JJ for the years of work, sitting behind Caupain, and knowing who the other 4 starters were. Especially since Cane was out for a year watching and hasn't played against top talent. Now he will switch the grove around knowing Cane is ready. Now, I think here and there JJ could start but really Cronin better have Cane in there from jump.

Last edited by GarradJ21; 08-01-2018 at 12:01 PM.
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 11:59 AM   #43
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I don't know. I mean we have had back to back unbelievable seasons with great teams. This year won't be like that but there's still some talent and scorers.

This probably isn't the right thread, but where does everyone think this team will stack up. Top 3 Cronin teams are obviously the sweet 16 year and the 2016-2017 2017-2018 teams, but where would this upcoming year be? Obviously time will tell but lets not act like we are going to be awful.
It's hard to get the talent and scorers on the court at the same time. I don't feel like we have much in terms of ""true scoring" at the 4 and 5 spots. I think we all know Cumberland and Broome can score but we may also see a starting lineup with Scott, Brooks, Cumberland and Jenifer with a player TBD.

It sure sounds like we are going to keep a 4 and 5 on the court when we hear about making sure the other team doesn't get any free layups (as one of our main areas of focus). We need to figure out how we can get Cumberland out there with Broome and then sprinkle in some Moore, Williams, Fredericks, and Johnson out there at the same time. That is where our scoring talent lies...and some of them I would not call above average at this point. I think we have 2 above average scorers on the squad and I sure hope we see a couple more develop into that.

Defensively we should have no problems. Cumberland could struggle if we can't put 1 or 2 more scorers on the floor with him. Cane would be first choice...but I think we need one more aggressive person on the floor so we have 3 options out there who are looking to create some buckets. If not we are going to struggle to get points because we will be easy to gameplan against.

I hope we go small a lot but I'm not sure we will see as much as I would like.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #44
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

i think people forget how hard it is to score when you have inside guys that nobody respects on offense.

we took it for granted and had 2 guys inside for a while. now we have 0. the guards are going to have to be so good this year for us to score. or the juco transfer is going to have to be a scoring machine (which is rare for first year jucos).

im also not sure i can get behind this team being better at defense. the 2 best defenders are gone. we know that despite what synergy or anything else says, broome and jenifer are both liabilities on defense. their synergy stats were helped by the fact that gary was so good and kyle wasn't really the scrub most made him out to be.

a lineup of

jenifer
broome
cumberland
scott
brooks

is going to have a very hard time of stopping guard penetration. move the juco in for brooks and its even worse.

jenifer
broome
cumberland
juco
scoot

is not better on either end than last year. i feel both sides would be significantly worse.

the american conference lost a ton of talent so i'd expect us to still be able to compete. it should be a way down year for the conference though.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:39 PM   #45
skylinecat

skylinecat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post

a lineup of

jenifer
broome
cumberland
scott
brooks

is going to have a very hard time of stopping guard penetration. move the juco in for brooks and its even worse.

jenifer
broome
cumberland
juco
scoot

is not better on either end than last year. i feel both sides would be significantly worse.

the american conference lost a ton of talent so i'd expect us to still be able to compete. it should be a way down year for the conference though.
I don't think we are going to Broome and Jennifer playing significant time together.

Our big starting 5 will likely be:
Broome,
Cumberland,
Moore/Williams/Fredericks
Scott
Brooks

Our small starting 5 will be:
Broome,
Cumberland,
Moore/Williams
Fredericks
Scott
skylinecat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 01:42 PM   #46
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skylinecat View Post
I don't think we are going to Broome and Jennifer playing significant time together.

Our big starting 5 will likely be:
Broome,
Cumberland,
Moore/Williams/Fredericks
Scott
Brooks

Our small starting 5 will be:
Broome,
Cumberland,
Moore/Williams
Fredericks
Scott

ill believe jenifer wont play when i see it
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 02:28 PM   #47
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i think people forget how hard it is to score when you have inside guys that nobody respects on offense.

we took it for granted and had 2 guys inside for a while. now we have 0. the guards are going to have to be so good this year for us to score. or the juco transfer is going to have to be a scoring machine (which is rare for first year jucos).

im also not sure i can get behind this team being better at defense. the 2 best defenders are gone. we know that despite what synergy or anything else says, broome and jenifer are both liabilities on defense. their synergy stats were helped by the fact that gary was so good and kyle wasn't really the scrub most made him out to be.

a lineup of

jenifer
broome
cumberland
scott
brooks

jenifer
broome
cumberland
juco
scoot

I understand your thoughts on D. I think we get better by replacing Kyle (on D) with a more mobile guy. We keep Cumberland in and the PG doesn't change. So we have to replace Gary and Jake. Wow! Tall order. Scott is really no slouch on D though. I think we don't lose much with Tre. He can get out on the perimeter and he can block a shot.

So we have to replace Jake and that's the big question. Williams can do it if he would buy in. He's the guy we need to "buy in" IMO...work his tail off with shooting and effort related things like rebounding and defense. He's the other wing I would like to see in the lineup and if he is that would mean he worked his butt off in the off season. Cronin won't give up that spot to a guy who isn't working hard as hell. But we went after Fredericks so maybe Cronin isn't sold on that happening. I don't think Fredericks has the raw athletic ability that Williams has though...but he likes to crash boards.
Old 08-01-2018, 02:33 PM   #48
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I understand your thoughts on D. I think we get better by replacing Kyle (on D) with a more mobile guy. We keep Cumberland in and the PG doesn't change. So we have to replace Gary and Jake. Wow! Tall order. Scott is really no slouch on D though. I think we don't lose much with Tre. He can get out on the perimeter and he can block a shot.

So we have to replace Jake and that's the big question. Williams can do it if he would buy in. He's the guy we need to "buy in" IMO...work his tail off with shooting and effort related things like rebounding and defense. He's the other wing I would like to see in the lineup and if he is that would mean he worked his butt off in the off season. Cronin won't give up that spot to a guy who isn't working hard as hell. But we went after Fredericks so maybe Cronin isn't sold on that happening. I don't think Fredericks has the raw athletic ability that Williams has though...but he likes to crash boards.
Moore doesn't do much for me other than being a shooter (which is awesome to have). He just isn't a guy who can do much more with the ball. His D is pretty decent but I think he maxed out his effort there and we have seen kind of his top notch D. I don't think we saw what Williams is capable of yet...he's got so much more in the tank to give. Cronin has to get that out of him.
Old 08-01-2018, 03:55 PM   #49
GarradJ21
Epic Member

GarradJ21 is on a distinguished road
I think Scott will show big leaps on the scoring end.

I can agree, that I don't know if we will necessarily be better on defense this year but we wont miss a beat IMO. We will be just as good.

I just still think a lot can happen with this team. Some of these guys haven't been forced to step up yet so it's hard for us to see the light at the end of the tunnel, well now they are going to have to (Scott and Brooks).

Just like it was time to see leaps in Justin Jackson on the offensive end we did. It's going to be tougher without Gary and KW for sure but we will be ok. It will be a fun year with a lot of good games on the schedule
GarradJ21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #50
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I think Nsoseme is our best big guy
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote