Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 01-11-2019, 09:57 AM   #1
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Cumberland first half foul trouble

If Cumberland can stay out of foul trouble in the first half and allow us to play him at least 17 mins in the first half, we are the best team in the conference, but like you saw with ecu and Tulsa if he doesn’t play we are at best even with these teams, he can’t be on the bench for 12 mins in a game for us he does to much for us and I don’t just mean scoring wise
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:01 AM   #2
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
cumberland has been really unlucky in a lot of the fouls he's picked up. and its been like that his entire career. as a freshman he got a lot of charges that weren't close to being charges. now he gets them for defense and at times the replays show he doesn't even touch a guy.

last night he got 2 fouls at the same time and neither should have been called. its really odd for a superstar player to get the calls against him so often like cumberland does.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:03 AM   #3
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
with that said there are times he doesn't really use his brain and puts himself in a spot he shouldn't be. he'll do lazy reach ins and stuff that he's gotta be smarter about. but for the most part i think its out of his hands.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:17 AM   #4
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
cumberland has been really unlucky in a lot of the fouls he's picked up. and its been like that his entire career. as a freshman he got a lot of charges that weren't close to being charges. now he gets them for defense and at times the replays show he doesn't even touch a guy.

last night he got 2 fouls at the same time and neither should have been called. its really odd for a superstar player to get the calls against him so often like cumberland does.
Seriously. If he had a penchant for fouling I would see it. The guy gets so unlucky. The Refs should be censured for the officiating last night.

Tulsa (Haith)'s gameplan is so simple (reminds me of the 2006 cats): Initiate contact with the defender, flail and hope to go to the line. 21 fts to 9 last night -- it was all rotten.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #5
Helicopter

Helicopter is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
with that said there are times he doesn't really use his brain and puts himself in a spot he shouldn't be. he'll do lazy reach ins and stuff that he's gotta be smarter about. but for the most part i think its out of his hands.
He also will have lazy passes occasionally (around the perimeter). I wish he would treat ever possession/motion with a purpose cause his b-ball instincts are so high.
Helicopter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
If Cumberland can stay out of foul trouble in the first half and allow us to play him at least 17 mins in the first half, we are the best team in the conference, but like you saw with ecu and Tulsa if he doesn’t play we are at best even with these teams, he can’t be on the bench for 12 mins in a game for us he does to much for us and I don’t just mean scoring wise
Yah...we have to keep him on the court. Sometimes it's bad officiating which we can do nothing about but he has to avoid the silly one's. I think Tulsa was jawing at him a lot last night and he's not one to back off from that. He's been dangerously close to taunting in the past as well so he has to watch out for the T's. Other teams are going to target him as well.

Outside of that Cronin has to manage him better. Nevada with 4 fouls should have sat and was it OSU sitting him with 1? Both not smart IMO.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 02:22 PM   #7
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I think the refs have been doing a great job this year on blocking/ charging fouls. And Cumberland charges a lot and they are the right call a lot, defensively he swipes way to much and regardless of wether it’s all ball or not seeing someone’s arm in the swiping motion is going to get a foul called on you.

Ideally his defense in the first have should be passive and then in the second half if he has fouls to play with he can get aggressive, he simply can’t foul at all he needs to be in the game
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 03:44 PM   #8
CareBat

CareBat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
I think the refs have been doing a great job this year on blocking/ charging fouls. And Cumberland charges a lot and they are the right call a lot, defensively he swipes way to much
The charges from him I can live with. Kinda feels like he's gotten better about it each year at least. The tech didn't help.
CareBat is offline   Reply With Quote