Bearcats by 6+ points 10 50.00%
Shockers by 1-5 points 2 10.00%
Shockers by 6+ ponts 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-19-2019, 05:54 PM   #81
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
Justin stepped up big with points today. One of his threes was a bad shot but it went in. Hitting all four of the technicals was huge. Hard to knock 17 points, but I'm going to say this team is only going to be successful when justin can stay on the court and play well. The offense was still stagnant today and that ultimately falls on his shoulders. And when he goes to the bench the team D suffers. My point is while the 17 points is awesome, that's not what we should expect from him and hides the fact that the offense was still stagnant. Cumberland is going to carry us and that's great but you have to have ball movement and other options. Until the technicals and then fouls late to stop the clock we were trending around 50-55 points today and that doesnt cut it. We've been giving up 70 plus lately and while I think Mick will correct that, I dont see us holding teams to 50 too often. So, again, I think Justin has to be the one who steps up to keep the offense moving and the defense playing like we need it to.
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 05:56 PM   #82
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ervins84 View Post
The second 3 he hit was massive. It also was a rare unassisted 3 off the dribble for him. I still can't believe how much his shooting improved this year. That may be the single biggest surprise of the year.

yeah and he's shooting more in conference play which is something i felt he needed to do for the team.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 09:20 PM   #83
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Missed the game live and surprisingly was able to find a full game replay on Youtube.

The defense and rebounding was stellar. On top of Cumberland's playmaking and Jenifer's shooting, Keith Williams made a lot of big buckets himself.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 11:13 PM   #84
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Thank god for the double T. Cumberland did a good job of baiting there. Without that it was a last possession type game
We would have been up 7 at that point.

It helped, but we were breaking away even before the tech’s
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #85
Emperor Snapper

Emperor Snapper is on a distinguished road
After starting the season 9 of 32, over the last 4 games Keith Williams is 6 for 11 from 3-point range. He hit 4 his entire freshman season in 27 tries. I am starting to get slightly worried about losing him early to the NBA.

UC currently ranks 38th in adjusted offense on KenPom, a better ranking than last year (although a slightly lower rating) and on pace for the 2nd-best ranking in Cronin's tenure (behind 2017). At the start of the year I didn't think this team was going to finish top 100 in adjusted offense. Williams, Jenifer, and Brooks have all turned out to be way more effective than I imagined.

Thank goodness, too, because the defense is on pace to be his worst since at least 2010. It is even possible, although unlikely, that the team could wind up the season ranked higher on O (currently 38) than D (currently 30). Even being within 10 spots is very, very un-Cronin like. The only time it has happened was 2009, when the offense was ranked 83rd and the defense 108th.

The past two seasons this team was decidedly decent on offense, which I generally attributed to getting an unusual concentration of offensive talent (Evans, Clark, Washington, Cumberland). 3 of those 4 guys are gone, they added no one who is comparable, and they have maintained their efficiency. It is possible that Cronin has actually fixed some things here.
Emperor Snapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:15 AM   #86
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Just from what I’ve seen, not data so might be wrong,
It feels like the offense is not better by scheme. Just we are hitting 3’s (well Cumberland and Jenifer), Cumberland is able to get shots and points 1:1 better than clark, Evans...and Washington. And we have another player that will take the ball to the basket in Williams.

It seems individual 1:1 wins have lead to a better offense. Maybe not but it’s what I see.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #87
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Brooks has improved a ton on offense. His Torvic ORtg is up to 122 this season, after being below 97 his first two years. He takes a lot of heat here for being soft, but his finesse game has been pretty good, even if it is mostly limited to the sweeping hook. He's shooting 62% on 94 attempts, which is a lot more efficient than Washington was last year. I think one of our problems last year is Washington had the highest usage on the team, with one of the lowest efficiencies.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:02 PM   #88
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Just from what I’ve seen, not data so might be wrong,
It feels like the offense is not better by scheme. Just we are hitting 3’s (well Cumberland and Jenifer), Cumberland is able to get shots and points 1:1 better than clark, Evans...and Washington. And we have another player that will take the ball to the basket in Williams.

It seems individual 1:1 wins have lead to a better offense. Maybe not but it’s what I see.

i think cumberland is definitely better suited to run our iso offense over evans. better scorer, better driver, better passer, draws more fouls.
Old 01-20-2019, 12:17 PM   #89
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Brooks has improved a ton on offense. His Torvic ORtg is up to 122 this season, after being below 97 his first two years. He takes a lot of heat here for being soft, but his finesse game has been pretty good, even if it is mostly limited to the sweeping hook. He's shooting 62% on 94 attempts, which is a lot more efficient than Washington was last year. I think one of our problems last year is Washington had the highest usage on the team, with one of the lowest efficiencies.
I agree, I was a big critic of Washington last year and think he dragged the team down a bit. But I did not expect Brooks to improve so much or so quickly. By most measures Brooks has been a significantly better player then Washington was last year. Per 40 minutes he averages more offensive rebounds, more rebounds, more blocks, fewer TOs, a higher FG% and more assists, he also has a much higher ORtg, all on a lower usage rate.

He trails KW last year in a few areas. He averages fewer points per 40 minutes (though only 4 fewer) and also ironically has a quite a bit worse DRtg - which is an area I thought Brooks would be significantly better than Washington. The biggest key thing I see for Brooks to work on is fouls. He averages 5.6 per 40 minutes (2.5 more then KW's average per 40 last year). Would like to see him get that number under 5 this year and under 4 next year.

Last edited by skyblade; 01-20-2019 at 12:20 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2019, 12:26 PM   #90
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

He trails KW last year in a few areas. He averages fewer points per 40 minutes (though only 4 fewer) and also ironically has a worse DRtg - which is an area I thought Brooks would be significantly better than Washington. The biggest key thing I see for Brooks to work on is fouls. He averages 5.6 per 40 minutes (2.5 more then KW's average per 40 last year). Would like to see him get that number under 5 this year and under 4 next year.

brooks doesn't have the best defender of the cronin era by his side. clark made everybody better.