Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 08-11-2018, 04:39 PM   #131
jtsladder@aol.com

jtsladder@aol.com is on a distinguished road
I suspect the lineup will be fluid all year. It may change often with Cumberland and perhaps Scott being the constants.
jtsladder@aol.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 10:42 AM   #132
ZCat
Elite Member

ZCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Cronin will play the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win.
There is a ceiling on that type of system though. I can see why he would do it this year just to make sure we can get to the tournament. But last year was a nice opportunity to play the most talented players let them learn, keep teaching them. So they were ready for March.
ZCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 04:22 PM   #133
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZCat View Post
There is a ceiling on that type of system though. I can see why he would do it this year just to make sure we can get to the tournament. But last year was a nice opportunity to play the most talented players let them learn, keep teaching them. So they were ready for March.
We lost a game in the tournament that we literally blew. How Cronin utilized his roster throughout the year had no bearing on how badly we closed out that game. If we win that game you and I aren't having this conversation. He won 31 games leading into that game. Him and the players are responsible for that melt down but it had very little to do with how he substituted throughout the year. His methods got us a very good seed, a cake walk into the final four which could have been a signature win for him and his staff.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 09:35 PM   #134
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Except of course it didn’t get us almost any of those things. It got us one of the worst losses in the tournament and going home the first weekend.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:59 AM   #135
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Except of course it didn’t get us almost any of those things. It got us one of the worst losses in the tournament and going home the first weekend.
it got us a 31 win season I believe the most in the schools history,a conference title,a conference tourney title, a great seed and a nice path to the final four which we should have made without the blown Nevada game. I'm not debating the Nevada loss was horrible or that him and the team deserve criticism for how they coached and played. Just that his handling of his roster leading up to that game was not a factor in how the team closed out that game.

Look not looking to rehash that loss. That chatter is why I quit posting for awhile on here. Let's move forward. We have little choice in that matter. Cronin is our coach and probably will be for as long as he wants the job. This will be a very difficult year. Losing Evans,Clark and Washington will not be easy. We have a challenging OCS with X,UCLA and the Buckeyes on it. His coaching abilities will most certainly be tested. Teams in our conference such as Houston and Memphis are improving as well. Making the Dance this year will not be easy.

The trip to Canada has illustrated some talent but much improvement is needed. We still have yet to see Diarra who I think is a big wild card to the season. I'm also interested in how Logan Johnson will be used as well as Broome. Are they PG's or SG's or both. Who's game has moved forward between Williams and Moore? Lots of questions. Will be a interesting season to say the least.

Last edited by WAITE HOYT 2; 08-13-2018 at 04:06 AM.
Old 08-13-2018, 06:21 AM   #136
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
it got us a 31 win season I believe the most in the schools history,a conference title,a conference tourney title, a great seed and a nice path to the final four which we should have made without the blown Nevada game. I'm not debating the Nevada loss was horrible or that him and the team deserve criticism for how they coached and played. Just that his handling of his roster leading up to that game was not a factor in how the team closed out that game.

Look not looking to rehash that loss. That chatter is why I quit posting for awhile on here. Let's move forward. We have little choice in that matter. Cronin is our coach and probably will be for as long as he wants the job. This will be a very difficult year. Losing Evans,Clark and Washington will not be easy. We have a challenging OCS with X,UCLA and the Buckeyes on it. His coaching abilities will most certainly be tested. Teams in our conference such as Houston and Memphis are improving as well. Making the Dance this year will not be easy.

The trip to Canada has illustrated some talent but much improvement is needed. We still have yet to see Diarra who I think is a big wild card to the season. I'm also interested in how Logan Johnson will be used as well as Broome. Are they PG's or SG's or both. Who's game has moved forward between Williams and Moore? Lots of questions. Will be a interesting season to say the least.
Hey you brought it up!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this year's team shakes out. I'm hopeful for big steps by at least 3 of the following Broome, Scott, Williams, Moore, Ellie. Otherwise it's going to be a very average year at best. And I really want to win that first home game!
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 06:53 AM   #137
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincycpaw View Post
Hey you brought it up!

I'm really looking forward to seeing how this year's team shakes out. I'm hopeful for big steps by at least 3 of the following Broome, Scott, Williams, Moore, Ellie. Otherwise it's going to be a very average year at best. And I really want to win that first home game!
Beating the Buckeyes would be very nice!!! Off your list and taking into consideration the little info I have read about the trip to Canada I would say Williams, Ellie and Logan Johnson have got off to nice starts. If Williams finds his outside shot a bit more often he can really take a step forward. Logan may push Broome to the SG and JJ to the back up PG role. I think the line up could be very fluid this year. We may be well into the season before we actually have a set line up. Mick will be dangling the PT carrot out there for sure. That is not a bad thing in my mind because it creates competition which makes us better.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 AM   #138
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

While it is nice to read that some of the kids took steps forward I am very concerned about this years team. We lost three very good players. All three had skills. Evans was a 1st round talent who could guard and score, Clark was as complete a player as we have had with the program in years as well as being a total team player. Washington was a scoring post player with 3 point range. Who was our last post with those skills? They will be missed offensively but defensively as well. Evans and Clark erased so many misteps defensively and did so without getting into much foul trouble. They rebounded and stayed on the court. I see no one on the current roster ready to replace those three. Im not trying to disrespect the current group but those are huge shoes to fill.
Old 08-13-2018, 01:02 PM   #139
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Cronin will play the guys he thinks give him the best chance to win.
Correct, even if they have 4 fouls with 6 minutes to go.

He also has had a history of weird substitution patterns, like taking out gary and kyle at the same time last year, sitting kyle after scoring 8 pts in a row etc..

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:06 PM   #140
Patrick Bateman
Epic Member

Patrick Bateman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtsladder@aol.com View Post
I suspect the lineup will be fluid all year. It may change often with Cumberland and perhaps Scott being the constants.
Cronin said this same thing last year and there were 2 lineups, same one for every game except 2. Dont think we will see much deviation unless injury, discipline etc.. More than likely will see the guys pulled after the first dead ball like KJ, Kyle have been in the past 2 years.

Last edited by Patrick Bateman; 08-13-2018 at 01:24 PM.
Patrick Bateman is offline   Reply With Quote