Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-16-2020, 06:40 PM   #611
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
On DeJulius, I've yet to watch him play. How confident are we that he will get a waiver? He is a bit of a strange pickup if he doesn't get a waiver. We will have a logjam of guards all within a class of each other. If DeJulius doesn't get a waiver, in 2021 we'd have Maw, DeJulius as juniors and Saunders and Mason as Sophomore's. Not counting Harvey, Davenport and Gabe who would also be Juniors/Sophomores and play SG/SF.

Centers generally take a year or two to develop, even if they are high rated recruits. Next year Diarra will be our only center. We will probably have to go for a grad transfer center next year as well (unless we play Eason at center), which is getting to be a bit of a concerning trend.

I wonder if Brannen is just going with best player available and hoping he can figure it out, or if he is planning to play 4 guards/small forwards a lot and run. The small running lineup makes sense for what we have, the only misfit is Vogt. We may see a fair amount of Rap/Diarra at the 5 and four guards.

The ideal is to get guys with two years of separation between each other at at position (1 SR/1 SO, or 1 JR/1FR). That ideal rarely happens and Brannen is still only in year two, so it will take a while to build. But so many Freshmen and Sophomores at the same position concerns me and means somebody won't get playing time (and potentially transfer out). I'd guess at least a couple guys will redshirt (Mason being the obvious one, Davenport potentially because of his knee surgery or even Saunders).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:21 PM   #612
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
On DeJulius, I've yet to watch him play. How confident are we that he will get a waiver? He is a bit of a strange pickup if he doesn't get a waiver. We will have a logjam of guards all within a class of each other. If DeJulius doesn't get a waiver, in 2021 we'd have Maw, DeJulius as juniors and Saunders and Mason as Sophomore's. Not counting Harvey, Davenport and Gabe who would also be Juniors/Sophomores and play SG/SF.

Centers generally take a year or two to develop, even if they are high rated recruits. Next year Diarra will be our only center. We will probably have to go for a grad transfer center next year as well (unless we play Eason at center), which is getting to be a bit of a concerning trend.

I wonder if Brannen is just going with best player available and hoping he can figure it out, or if he is planning to play 4 guards/small forwards a lot and run. The small running lineup makes sense for what we have, the only misfit is Vogt. We may see a fair amount of Rap/Diarra at the 5 and four guards.

The ideal is to get guys with two years of separation between each other at at position (1 SR/1 SO, or 1 JR/1FR). That ideal rarely happens and Brannen is still only in year two, so it will take a while to build. But so many Freshmen and Sophomores at the same position concerns me and means somebody won't get playing time (and potentially transfer out). I'd guess at least a couple guys will redshirt (Mason being the obvious one, Davenport potentially because of his knee surgery or even Saunders).
I think he is getting the best players he can and trying to figure it out. Last year he was late to the party and had 6 guys leave. He didn’t really have a choice. This year is one of the craziest off seasons ever.

Having said that, I think when you first take over a program you have to get talent anyway you can and figure out the rest. Try to hit on a few guys build a solid foundation. Win games and go from there.,
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 07:34 PM   #613
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Also, i agree, I would guess some of these guys transfer in the future. You really can’t control that. Especially How college basketball is now. I am sure brannen realizes that. Not enough minutes. You just hope the best ones stay.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2020, 09:20 PM   #614
Chance2017

Chance2017 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Dejulius will get a waiver
Chance2017 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:59 AM   #615
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
I feel like I've said this before, but look at Dayton for the type of system Brannen is going after. Dayton played 7 guys, 5 of them 6'5 or smaller.

Think about how good practices are going to be with all this competition at the guard spots. They're going to be intense and we won't have any more of this crap with guys not always playing hard.

Getting pushed every day in practice is going to make them all better. I know we're used to seeing a guy have a freshman year like MAW and then expecting to see him get the majority of the minutes for the next 3 years, but I think Brannen will always look to upgrade the roster. Just showing up and working hard every day isn't enough to guarantee future minutes. Some guys might transfer out, but guys are going to know the best player is going to play.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:34 AM   #616
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Whether DD gets a waiver or not...I would expect to see a red shirt (or two). I think Davenport ought to and probably a guy like Mikey. If he does not get a waiver...then a red shirt still makes sense for one of the young ball handlers.

I don't want to see a transfer from Mikey or Mason (more because of Gabe).
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:42 AM   #617
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
I feel like I've said this before, but look at Dayton for the type of system Brannen is going after. Dayton played 7 guys, 5 of them 6'5 or smaller.

Think about how good practices are going to be with all this competition at the guard spots. They're going to be intense and we won't have any more of this crap with guys not always playing hard.

Getting pushed every day in practice is going to make them all better. I know we're used to seeing a guy have a freshman year like MAW and then expecting to see him get the majority of the minutes for the next 3 years, but I think Brannen will always look to upgrade the roster. Just showing up and working hard every day isn't enough to guarantee future minutes. Some guys might transfer out, but guys are going to know the best player is going to play.
Agree. I also think about that press and 94 ft each way. We won't have to get tired and then slow it down because of the difference between our best players and our bench. Just plug in the next man at the first sign of fatigue.

This also makes me wonder about Vogt and how many minute he can play. I could see him slide to 20mpg or so. We aren't going to slow it down just for him.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:23 AM   #618
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Agree. I also think about that press and 94 ft each way. We won't have to get tired and then slow it down because of the difference between our best players and our bench. Just plug in the next man at the first sign of fatigue.

This also makes me wonder about Vogt and how many minute he can play. I could see him slide to 20mpg or so. We aren't going to slow it down just for him.

i dont think we want to play him more than that. last year we were basically forced to, either sorolla was injured or he wasn't here.

we also had to slow it down for cumberland so Vogt fit in that system a little better.

remember brannen on the sideline all year trying to get our guys to push off misses and they wouldn't. he'll have them flying up the court this year.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 09:26 AM   #619
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

How do we get everyone minutes and keep them happy?

Williams (30)
Dejulius (25)
Rap (25)
Diara (25)
Vogt (20)
MAW (20)
Harvey (20)
Gabe (15)
Eason (15)
Mason (5)

Mikey (RS)
Dav (RS)
Prince (?)

When we get to conference play we can probably shut Mason down and add minutes to DD.
Old 04-17-2020, 09:35 AM   #620
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i dont think we want to play him more than that. last year we were basically forced to, either sorolla was injured or he wasn't here.

we also had to slow it down for cumberland so Vogt fit in that system a little better.

remember brannen on the sideline all year trying to get our guys to push off misses and they wouldn't. he'll have them flying up the court this year.
Yah...one specialty of DD was scoring in transition. We are going to be pushing pace for sure. Mikey is also a speedster. Everyone can run but Vogt and it should be no problem because if we miss the opportunity to score early Vogt can lag behind and we can then try to set up offense and feed the post. We don't need 5 guys on the break