Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-15-2019, 10:58 AM   #21
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Well taking a look around Oakland basketball twitter, they seem to think Jarron's cousin is pretty much guaranteed to commit to the Bearcats.
Old 04-15-2019, 11:01 AM   #22
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Agreed. Cronin by accident or by plan, seems to have recruited a near perfect roster for Brannen's system. Cronin talked a lot about pressing as well, but would never commit to it (just press vs bad teams, then switch to half-court in conference play), but he seems to have recruited with the pressing concept in mind.

We've got mobile centers, power forwards who can play the stretch 4 and handle the ball (Scott especially seems like he could really flourish in that role next year) and big athletic guards who can run and handle. Our biggest weakness is 3-point shooting, which hopefully we can fix over the summer. But even if we can't, an aggressive defense and fast-break offense can create a lot of points even if threes aren't falling.

One thing to note is nku's 2018 team did not shoot the 3 well, 34% as a team and that ranked 219 in the country. But they still were 19th in 2 point %. that shows me that he likely has some really good offensive sets.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:03 AM   #23
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Someone who write about Oakland basketball went as far as to say its more than "expected" to happen.
Old 04-15-2019, 12:37 PM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Someone who write about Oakland basketball went as far as to say its more than "expected" to happen.
That would seem to be an excellent fit all the way around! It's the type of help we need and of course the other obvious connections. I wonder if Curtis is holding off to see what comes along with Brannen?

I still don't think Curtis needs to worry about playing time if he's good enough from the start. I mean he was pretty much capped at 20mpg under Cronin in year 1 which is about where Cumberland, Evans, and Caupain were able to get.

I think a different coach would be willing to live with a few more mistakes early and let the players get the feel.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:53 PM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Agreed. Cronin by accident or by plan, seems to have recruited a near perfect roster for Brannen's system. Cronin talked a lot about pressing as well, but would never commit to it (just press vs bad teams, then switch to half-court in conference play), but he seems to have recruited with the pressing concept in mind.

We've got mobile centers, power forwards who can play the stretch 4 and handle the ball (Scott especially seems like he could really flourish in that role next year) and big athletic guards who can run and handle. Our biggest weakness is 3-point shooting, which hopefully we can fix over the summer. But even if we can't, an aggressive defense and fast-break offense can create a lot of points even if threes aren't falling.
I think the main problem with Cronin was always quality of depth not quantity. He always went to the 6-7 man rotation when we hit conference play. So pressing full court all season was just going to tire those 6 guys out.

Will be interesting to see how Brannen handles it? Play 6-7 guys for all the minutes or work in 8-9 rotation so he can still go all out on press for 40 minutes.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:06 PM   #26
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I was pleased with how the press conference went. He's well rehearsed in most of his comments, but that's not such a bad thing. I wasn't unhappy with Cronin in the way some fans were, but it's exciting to start a new chapter and know that we're not rehashing the same old philosophy.

It's really something new to look forward to. Hopefully, the fans turn out to support this coach and the team, as I think good crowds could really help elevate this next season's squad.

Should be interesting to see just how much of the defense will utilize that press.

I hope there's some chance this summer for players to start to learn his offensive playbook. Not saying he's fully got one set for these kids, just if they can start to learn the floor spacings he likes to employ and their options. I'm sure there is going to be a huge learning curve this season.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:08 PM   #27
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
I'm excited for where this could go.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 01:26 PM   #28
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
If you guys want a good laugh go to Chris Mack’s Twitter on his congratulations to brannen
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 02:22 PM   #29
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
I watched Dan Hoard interview coach Brannen. I thought of Brannen as more of a Northern Kentucky kid, but it sounds like he spent a lot of his time in Saint Bernard. This is getting hometown talent working to build up the program. It's not a mandatory thing, but I like that.

Seems like a total gym rat, in a the best way for a player and coach. I also didn't realize that he played for Billy Donovan in college. So this guy really has worked or played for guys who've had impact in the college basketball world.

I wonder if they'll do summer basketball camps for kids? You can never start working to win those fans too young.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:35 PM   #30
cliftonballer

cliftonballer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I watched Dan Hoard interview coach Brannen. I thought of Brannen as more of a Northern Kentucky kid, but it sounds like he spent a lot of his time in Saint Bernard. This is getting hometown talent working to build up the program. It's not a mandatory thing, but I like that.

Seems like a total gym rat, in a the best way for a player and coach. I also didn't realize that he played for Billy Donovan in college. So this guy really has worked or played for guys who've had impact in the college basketball world.

I wonder if they'll do summer basketball camps for kids? You can never start working to win those fans too young.
He's basically a roundabout Billy Donovan protege and he is his mentor also. They talk nearly everyday on the phone apparently. And Mike Bohn said speaking to Billy Donovan multiple times at length was instrumental in the hiring decision of Coach Brannen. I am elated with this hire and the new outlook for our program!
cliftonballer is offline   Reply With Quote