Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 04-10-2019, 10:34 AM   #121
TheRealUC
Elite Member

TheRealUC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
To me, making the tournament every year is great, but if we miss it every once in a while, it's fine. I would rather do something in the tournament. If the streak is something you are worried about, then yeah, that might be broken. I don't think going 9 years in a row gets you much if you lose in the first weekend every year.
I hear you on the March success issue, but if you're not making the Tournament you're losing a lot of games. I'm as pissed as the next guy about the early exits, but getting to the tournament means we got to watch our squad consistently win...which i'm not so keen on giving up for a sweet 16.
TheRealUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:37 AM   #122
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
To me, making the tournament every year is great, but if we miss it every once in a while, it's fine. I would rather do something in the tournament. If the streak is something you are worried about, then yeah, that might be broken. I don't think going 9 years in a row gets you much if you lose in the first weekend every year.
Would you take making the tourney every single year like mick has, winning the league and conference tourney a few times as well but having just 1 sweet 16

Vs

having Frank Martin... Who's been at SC for 6 years and missed the tourney in 5 of 6 years, but made it to the final four 1 season?

For me... i take Mick all day long.. Because I enjoy being relevant every year.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #123
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Can we move the Mick comparisons to the Mick Cronin thread?
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:38 AM   #124
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealUC View Post
I hear you on the March success issue, but if you're not making the Tournament you're losing a lot of games. I'm as pissed as the next guy about the early exits, but getting to the tournament means we got to watch our squad consistently win...which i'm not so keen on giving up for a sweet 16.
Exactly.... As a season ticket holder, I've been able to watch Mick's team kick ass for multiple years running. Its fun.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:40 AM   #125
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Belmont just hired Casey Alexander.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:47 AM   #126
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
Belmont just hired Casey Alexander.
Makes sense, they're in the same city as Lipscomb. Makes you wonder if we even reached out though.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #127
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
Makes sense, they're in the same city as Lipscomb. Makes you wonder if we even reached out though.
played there, assisted there for 16 years, that was the main thing i was worried about.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 10:50 AM   #128
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by sedziobs View Post
He also was an assistant to the retiring coach.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:09 AM   #129
Red_N_Black_Attack

Red_N_Black_Attack is on a distinguished road
Here's a name that is very interesting to me: Jon Scheyer.

Former Blue Devil and current Associate Head Coach at Duke. HE is young, disciple of one of the greatest coaches of all time, and he is tied immediately into the top levels of the recruiting circuit. While I'd love to go after a proven winner or big name, I think Jon is poised to create something special when he becomes a head coach. He is from Illinois so knows the Mid-West.

There isn't a "Home-Run" coach out there who would consider UC. There is no such thing or he would already have a job this far into the coaching carousel.
Also, if Scheyer doesn't work out or completely flops, we can cut ties and get into the carousel earlier in 2-3 years.

Here's the names listed that I would NOT even consider:

Any current coach with a buyout over one million

Rick Pitino - that show cause penalty is hanging out in the open, ready to drop

Nick Van Exel - not certified at the collegiate level, cannot interact with recruits until he gets it. Wish he had it and was tied into AAU. He can get both to make himself ready collegiately or stay in the Pro's

Darren Savino - He may be ready, but the program needs some fresh blood.
Red_N_Black_Attack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2019, 11:39 AM   #130
HarryBosch

HarryBosch is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_N_Black_Attack View Post
Here's a name that is very interesting to me: Jon Scheyer.

Former Blue Devil and current Associate Head Coach at Duke. HE is young, disciple of one of the greatest coaches of all time, and he is tied immediately into the top levels of the recruiting circuit. While I'd love to go after a proven winner or big name, I think Jon is poised to create something special when he becomes a head coach. He is from Illinois so knows the Mid-West.

There isn't a "Home-Run" coach out there who would consider UC. There is no such thing or he would already have a job this far into the coaching carousel.
Also, if Scheyer doesn't work out or completely flops, we can cut ties and get into the carousel earlier in 2-3 years.

Here's the names listed that I would NOT even consider:

Any current coach with a buyout over one million

Rick Pitino - that show cause penalty is hanging out in the open, ready to drop

Nick Van Exel - not certified at the collegiate level, cannot interact with recruits until he gets it. Wish he had it and was tied into AAU. He can get both to make himself ready collegiately or stay in the Pro's

Darren Savino - He may be ready, but the program needs some fresh blood.
Maybe Savino goes with Mick to LaLa land.
HarryBosch is offline   Reply With Quote