Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2019, 10:19 AM   #1861
beeman7467

beeman7467 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I know it was Big East, but Mick had his better classes his first years. He fell off cliff lately though really doesn't matter at this point.
You'd like to think that conference affiliation doesn't make that much difference in perception (especially since the Bearcats at the ones in the AAC ), but it does. You can succeed without it, Gonzaga, but it surely helps a bunch. Mick started with very little and built them into a competitive program in one of the country's toughest conferences. Gotta be tough leaving that for their current league. I like CJB's attitude and look forward to seeing what he accomplishes here. For him, the AAC is huge step up and not a hindrance to success (Mick's attitude - my opinion). Given the situation, CJB hit a home run out of the gate. Hopefully not too much to ask, but some Brad Stevens-esque success would be fantastic.
beeman7467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:12 PM   #1862
HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by beeman7467 View Post
You'd like to think that conference affiliation doesn't make that much difference in perception (especially since the Bearcats at the ones in the AAC ), but it does. You can succeed without it, Gonzaga, but it surely helps a bunch. Mick started with very little and built them into a competitive program in one of the country's toughest conferences. Gotta be tough leaving that for their current league. I like CJB's attitude and look forward to seeing what he accomplishes here. For him, the AAC is huge step up and not a hindrance to success (Mick's attitude - my opinion). Given the situation, CJB hit a home run out of the gate. Hopefully not too much to ask, but some Brad Stevens-esque success would be fantastic.
Mick didn't have players on the roster but they were competitive before Mick got here. I agree Micks attitude or lack of belief that it is possible to recruit and win at the highest level at UC was the reason they didn't. All the fans should be ecstatic that Brannen does. He obviously has to be able to coach too, but I have no doubts about his ability to coach. Mick leaving I think will be good for both parties. He's at a program he believes in and we have a coach that believes in this program. This is a must for high level success.

Last edited by HongKongPhooey; 06-28-2019 at 01:42 PM.
HongKongPhooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 01:22 PM   #1863
HongKongPhooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think he also said his teams were always 1st or 2nd in AAC in scoring every year. I didn't check every year but I saw 3rd, 4th and 7th the last 3 years.

I am guessing he meant efficiency...but that's not what recruits are looking at. Disconnected
ESPN stats has UC listed in order from 1st season of aac to the last 9th 10th 6th 1st 3rd and 8th aac team ppg he's straight up lying is what he's doing once is hardly every year. If I had to guess I'd say they never finished top 2 in big east in scoring.

Last edited by HongKongPhooey; 06-28-2019 at 01:25 PM.
Old 06-28-2019, 01:40 PM   #1864
HongKongPhooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
I know it was Big East, but Mick had his better classes his first years. He fell off cliff lately though really doesn't matter at this point.
His best team was the one from 17/18 season though. That was four years after big east. Recruiting rankings are overrated. Take out kilpatrick and Lance and the five other best players from Cronin era in my opinion were on that team. Evans, Cumberland, Clark, Washington, and Caupain
Old 06-28-2019, 01:48 PM   #1865
prancer

prancer is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by HongKongPhooey View Post
His best team was the one from 17/18 season though. That was four years after big east. Recruiting rankings are overrated. Take out kilpatrick and Lance and the five other best players from Cronin era in my opinion were on that team. Evans, Cumberland, Clark, Washington, and Caupain
Caupain wasn't on that team. He graduated the year before. Even so, the 17/18 team was great.
prancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 02:54 PM   #1866
HongKongPhooey

Quote:
Originally Posted by prancer View Post
Caupain wasn't on that team. He graduated the year before. Even so, the 17/18 team was great.
Yeah my bad they had all five together the year before.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:01 PM   #1867
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Memphis doesn't seem to be having much of a problem recruiting in the AAC
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:08 PM   #1868
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by juckerrules View Post
Memphis doesn't seem to be having much of a problem recruiting in the AAC
Mick just didn't recruit players he couldn't be their daddy. Outside of Broome and mick didn't like him to well, which player had a daddy around program? One way or another most top 100 have some type of male figure around(mick called them handlers) them more than Mick liked. Lol, think about it mainly all Mick's pets had their mom's with closest relationship to coach.
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:09 PM   #1869
TheRealMick
Elite Member

TheRealMick is on a distinguished road
Whenever daddy, uncle or aau coach was involved with player mick and his main man Chad SCREAMED we not getting in recruiting battle with that player HANDLERS!
TheRealMick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 03:13 PM   #1870
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Do you think it's possible over the last few years people, coaches, and kids have realized Mick is never going to change? With seeing the way the game is moving more towards offense and the type if kids that get drafted you need to show an offensive game/athleticism and that is very difficult in Micks system compared to others. I think the book eventually came out on Mick not knowing how to coach offense and that has lead to a decrease in offensive minded players.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote