Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Basketball Recruiting > 2019 Recruiting Profiles

Old 04-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #1
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Grad Transfers

Figured I would get a thread started covering this since it may be the route the program has to go to fill out the remaining 2 scholarships. As of the last 12 hours:

Oakland G Jaevin Cumberland is expected by many to choose the Bearcats and play with his cousin Jarron.

Florida Golf Coast G Haanif Cheatham is considering Arkansas, Cincinnati and Nebraska. Will visit Nebraska this weekend and Arkansas soon after. Have to think if the Bearcats get his last visit, we can possibly seal the deal. He is a former Marquette commit and top 75 4 star recruit.

I would love a lineup of:

G Jaevin Cumberland
G Jarron Cumberland
G Williams
F Scott
C Brooks

Bench:
PG Johnson
SG Curtis
G Cheatham
G Moore
F Prince
F Hardnett
C Eliel
F Diarra

Last edited by the_one_32; 04-15-2019 at 11:23 AM.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:01 PM   #2
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Jaevin looks like he would be an excellent addition and it seems like we have a lot going for us for his recruitment. We have his cousin, a coach who used to coach in his conference (in fact Oakland's season ended with a loss to NKU in their conference tournament) and are very local to his home town.

He is an excellent 3-point shooter, good scorer and has a solid assist to TO ratio. Him and Jarron could rotate PG duty and Johnson would be the primary backup PG. He'd probably be my top grad transfer target.

Cheatham it's harder to say, apparently he had a lingering shoulder injury, tried to play through it and ended up getting surgery. His numbers at FGSU weren't that impressive, but that is likely due to the injury. He put up good numbers as a freshman at Marquette. There's also the question of post-surgery rehab, how healthy will he be and can he do everything he could before. He'd be a high-risk addition, but considering our depth it's a risk we could afford to take (especially if we get Jaevin Cumberland).
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:05 PM   #3
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

the_one_32 will become famous soon enoughthe_one_32 will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Jaevin looks like he would be an excellent addition and it seems like we have a lot going for us for his recruitment. We have his cousin, a coach who used to coach in his conference (in fact Oakland's season ended with a loss to NKU in their conference tournament) and are very local to his home town.

He is an excellent 3-point shooter, good scorer and has a solid assist to TO ratio. Him and Jarron could rotate PG duty and Johnson would be the primary backup PG. He'd probably be my top grad transfer target.

Cheatham it's harder to say, apparently he had a lingering shoulder injury, tried to play through it and ended up getting surgery. His numbers at FGSU weren't that impressive, but that is likely due to the injury. He put up good numbers as a freshman at Marquette. There's also the question of post-surgery rehab, how healthy will he be and can he do everything he could before. He'd be a high-risk addition, but considering our depth it's a risk we could afford to take (especially if we get Jaevin Cumberland).
From what I've been told about Jaevin from Oakland fans and a writer, Jaevin is not going to play PG. He has average ball handling at best and hasn't really truly ever ran an offense. But other than that, we are in total agreement. I would much rather see Curtis and 2 grad transfers than Curtis and 2 late HS additions who we are unsure of. I like the idea of Brannen having as many open scholarships as possible for his first true class in 2020. What's even better is that 2020 team will still have veterans on it so no need to freak out
Old 04-15-2019, 12:11 PM   #4
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
From what I've been told about Jaevin from Oakland fans and a writer, Jaevin is not going to play PG. He has average ball handling at best and hasn't really truly ever ran an offense. But other than that, we are in total agreement. I would much rather see Curtis and 2 grad transfers than Curtis and 2 late HS additions who we are unsure of. I like the idea of Brannen having as many open scholarships as possible for his first true class in 2020. What's even better is that 2020 team will still have veterans on it so no need to freak out
It might depend on Brannen's plan for Jarron then. We know Cronin planned to have him play PG next year and it seems like Jarron would make a solid PG. But if Brannen prefers Jarron at SG, then we'd want to target a PG (either grad transfer or late HS addition).

Assuming we get Curtis, I'd be okay with adding one grad transfer and saving the second scholarship or using it on someone who won't play next year (transfer or redshirt). We are already pretty deep next year, though the depth is inexperienced. Don't need all 13 players to be able to play, as we will probably only go 10 deep at most.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 12:22 PM   #5
cincyalum2014
Elite Member

cincyalum2014 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by the_one_32 View Post
Figured I would get a thread started covering this since it may be the route the program has to go to fill out the remaining 2 scholarships. As of the last 12 hours:

Oakland G Jaevin Cumberland is expected by many to choose the Bearcats and play with his cousin Jarron.

Florida Golf Coast G Haanif Cheatham is considering Arkansas, Cincinnati and Nebraska. Will visit Nebraska this weekend and Arkansas soon after. Have to think if the Bearcats get his last visit, we can possibly seal the deal. He is a former Marquette commit and top 75 4 star recruit.

I would love a lineup of:

G Jaevin Cumberland
G Jarron Cumberland
G Williams
F Scott
C Brooks

Bench:
PG Johnson
SG Curtis
G Cheatham
G Moore
F Prince
F Hardnett
C Eliel
F Diarra
I think the chances are slim we get Cheatham, as much as Id love to have him I think he will go to Nebraska or Arkansas. I think Jaevin is about 90% for sure coming here (this is my guess) if we actually recruit him. Who knows what JB will do. If Jaevin does come here I think he would be first off the bench with Samari like Cane was. I think Lojo would start at the point, with JB 's style of play Lojo will be a terror on the press and fast break.
cincyalum2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 06:27 PM   #6
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
It might depend on Brannen's plan for Jarron then. We know Cronin planned to have him play PG next year and it seems like Jarron would make a solid PG. But if Brannen prefers Jarron at SG, then we'd want to target a PG (either grad transfer or late HS addition).
If Jarron wants to play ball at the next level for a while then he needs to become a SG/SF 3 and D guy with okay enough off ball handling ala P.J. Tucker style. He's never going to make it in the League as a PG.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:18 PM   #7
UCAlum’96

UCAlum’96 is on a distinguished road
Quote:

According to family friends, Jaevin going to UC is just a rumor and he is currently being recruited by Oregon, Purdue and Michigan.
UCAlum’96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:41 PM   #8
the_one_32
Recruiting Analyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCAlum’96 View Post
According to family friends, Jaevin going to UC is just a rumor and he is currently being recruited by Oregon, Purdue and Michigan.
Would suck if true, haven't been able to find anything to support that. Just going off what people connected to Oakland's program are saying.
the_one_32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 04:54 AM   #9
Btown Bearcat

Btown Bearcat is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:

I was always surprised we and really no other decent sized programs recruited Jaevin from the beginning. Everything I saw tho were small clips on youtube he was very impressive but hey never too late
Old 04-16-2019, 08:47 AM   #10
Cin City

Cin City is on a distinguished road
I really hope we reach out to Chris Clarke. That kid would be ideal in Brannen's philosophy. Always liked him. Scrappy as hell.
Cin City is offline   Reply With Quote