Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2019, 07:48 PM   #231
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Sucks we couldn't get that top 15 team we were supposed to have,things would be completely different right now. Guess that was too much to ask for of a new coach. Now we gotta rely on guys who were never ready for these roles. Vogt and sorollo starting for the Bearcats against O-state?? Could of used Hardnett or the other forward who sat out last yr right about now his name is escaping me. Giving no passes to the new coach def not giving him 3 yrs it was come along and improve our run not come along and rebuild us TH.. His boy Mike Bone head isn't here anymore
Hot take with Hardnett and that other guy you can’t think of being the guys we could have used. Neither has played d1 basketball yet. But sure we are in trouble without them...

By the way...it’s not going to matter how many years you give a new coach. There are more rational people in charge. If the AD reacted like several fans we would have about 5 new coaches every year.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 07:52 PM   #232
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Yeah, Moore is one of those players who I keep hoping will break out. He is strong and scrappy enough to play the undersized 4 in small lineups. I'd put him right behind Diarra on the list of players who this teams needs to have develop to be great.

I'd be happy if Moore could be the third best 3-point shooter on the team behind the Cumberland's. If he could be the best shooter - like he is in practice - he could be a huge piece this season and next.
I would take 3rd best shooter as well! I also have some hope Harvey may come in handy later in the year but yah Diarra and Moore would probably hit the sweet spot the best
Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 PM   #233
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
Maybe this has been mentioned already, but I think it's pretty crazy that we lost the first game of the season to the same opponent by the exact same score two years in a row.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 09:33 AM   #234
BoomBoomRoom

BoomBoomRoom is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I don't think we need an elite big, though I do think an elite big would be nice to have. In college basketball, elite bigs are the hardest players to get and thus the most valuable. A big can impact the game in a way a guard can't.

I still don't think Vogt/Sorolla are a very good fit though. For a big to provide value playing outside the arc, he really needs to be able to shoot the 3. Otherwise, the other teams center can just back off and clog cutting/driving lanes. Vogt/Sorolla made a couple nice passes from outside the arc, but for the most part they were pretty useless out there. They also had a couple of TO's as well when handling outside the arc.

I'd think having Scott (or Diarra if he can figure it out) play the role Vogt/Sorolla were playing would provide a lot more value. He can shoot the three and also has the athleticism/speed to get to the hoop on pick-and-rolls.
Watching Cronin recruited and coached teams may have slanted your viewpoint. Look at most of the top 10-15 consistently ranked teams. They utilize big men who don't play "outside the arc". The Bearcat Big Men played ok against a quality Big Ten opponent on the road. Its not like they lost to East Carolina something.
I saw an offense actually running plays and sets and not the toss it around micro coached late into the shot clock frantic shots of old.
BoomBoomRoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:21 PM   #235
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Hot take with Hardnett and that other guy you can’t think of being the guys we could have used. Neither has played d1 basketball yet. But sure we are in trouble without them...

By the way...it’s not going to matter how many years you give a new coach. There are more rational people in charge. If the AD reacted like several fans we would have about 5 new coaches every year.
Not really if it were me I would be able to understand a good thing and appreciate it that how you keep tradition and a program going with some kind of positive consistency. Mike Bohn is no more qualified than me on discission making I mean look at the guy somebody should of told him put the plate down for one and then secondly great decision making a basketball hire half assed and then leave right afterwards heart couldn't of been too invested here. I know the associate AD maybe I'll get word to him to keep our options open this season they should be looking for a just in case coach right now. Quite sure we could use prince and Hardnett right now that isn't hard to realize but what can you do when everyone u could use leaves? Just complain about ur roster and buy yourself more time

Last edited by JoeRunner89; 11-09-2019 at 12:26 PM.
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 12:24 PM   #236
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoomRoom View Post
Watching Cronin recruited and coached teams may have slanted your viewpoint. Look at most of the top 10-15 consistently ranked teams. They utilize big men who don't play "outside the arc". The Bearcat Big Men played ok against a quality Big Ten opponent on the road. Its not like they lost to East Carolina something.
I saw an offense actually running plays and sets and not the toss it around micro coached late into the shot clock frantic shots of old.
Well they were only running 30% of the O due to it being the players faults
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 02:11 PM   #237
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Not really if it were me I would be able to understand a good thing and appreciate it that how you keep tradition and a program going with some kind of positive consistency. Mike Bohn is no more qualified than me on discission making I mean look at the guy somebody should of told him put the plate down for one and then secondly great decision making a basketball hire half assed and then leave right afterwards heart couldn't of been too invested here. I know the associate AD maybe I'll get word to him to keep our options open this season they should be looking for a just in case coach right now. Quite sure we could use prince and Hardnett right now that isn't hard to realize but what can you do when everyone u could use leaves? Just complain about ur roster and buy yourself more time
When Harvey came in Hardnett left so I’m pretty sure the fit was not right for him. He wasn’t playing in other words. Gilliam could have been semi useful but would not be playing much behind Scott. I hope he can make a comeback
Old 11-09-2019, 03:20 PM   #238
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
When Harvey came in Hardnett left so I’m pretty sure the fit was not right for him. He wasn’t playing in other words. Gilliam could have been semi useful but would not be playing much behind Scott. I hope he can make a comeback
Huh.

Hardnett was pushed out. We couldn’t take Harvey until hardnett was out
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 03:35 PM   #239
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Huh.

Hardnett was pushed out. We couldn’t take Harvey until hardnett was out
Right are we arguing semantics now? Player A took spot of player B. The point was that Hardnett was the casualty which should say something about how helpful he would have been
Old 11-09-2019, 03:40 PM   #240
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Right are we arguing semantics now? Player A took spot of player B. The point was that Hardnett was the casualty which should say something about how helpful he would have been
Not arguing semantics just the way you framed it was not any way the situation. Just had nothing to do with playing time.

While I’m glad we got Harvey, it’s still a situation I’m exactly thrilled about. And I hope it’s the exception not the rule. It’s why I always thought Chris Mack was a scumbag
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote