Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-12-2019, 07:32 AM   #71
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
If I am starting 5 players right now it's Jarron, Jaevin, Chris, and Trevon. Then either Vogt or Williams depending on the matchup. Keith has done pretty well so far but he gets a bit lazy at times and Jaevin seems to have a much higher BB IQ. He's obviously a shot maker but he's not too shabby creating other baskets than the 3 ball. Contrast his dangerous shooting with a decent ability to play basketball off the dribble and one can see why he is miles ahead of guys like Kevin Johnson or Trevor Moore who haven't shown deep ball accuracy or the ability to put the ball on the floor to make a play.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 07:55 AM   #72
waterhead
Senior Moderator

For those of us thinking we haven't hit the 100 mark yet in points need to factor in that Kenpom has us as 34 in adjusted offense right now. Not to mention 25 in adjusted D.

It's early I know but we have faced a VERY good OSU team and a pretty good Drake team. We ranked 49th in adjusted offense (on Kenpom) when we had our 2 seed with 3 NBA caliber players (not to mention Kyle Washington and Jenifer who was quite efficient).

Only 40% of offense installed so far and Brannen is still not pleased overall with our pace. Defense is clicking. When we put the 2nd team in we gave up point spread. The starters can play some D it seems.
Old 11-12-2019, 07:58 AM   #73
Loser Mentality

Loser Mentality is on a distinguished road
Decent game yesterday. Drake was obviously over matched.

Last Game I was hard on Jarron, and last night you could see a small light bulb coming on for him in regard to this new offense. Every pass he catches on offense has him in position to make a play for team or self, he's just got to take the opportunity to be great against all competition and think less. He could avg. 20+ pts easy in this offense. Has to continue to buy in.

I need at least 8 more games from all newcomers, Moore, Scott, and Diarra before I have a true read on what these guys are going to give us.

Scott's numbers in points will continue to dwindle, you can tell he's not use to movement, and we don't incorporate him in the offense like the bigs, which means, he's got to be aggressive on drives to the basket, because he has no moves lol.
Loser Mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:08 AM   #74
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Interesting that MAW did not play against OSU and Davenport did. Last night MAW played 14 minutes and Davenport 9. Mika was 2nd on team in defensive rebounds with 5 rebounds in 14 minutes. 3 assists, 1 steal and 0 turnovers.

He has looked very good (for a frosh) in the only 2 competitions he's played in regular season and exhibition.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:10 AM   #75
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
The big thing that really stuck out to me last night was how much better our defense was vs the style that Drake plays. That style typically gave us headaches and would lead to many wide open 3's. Last night drake only got a couple good looks and we shut down the 3 point shooting of a team that can light it up.

The few times we did give up an open one it looked like the defender got caught ball watching and sunk in more than they should have.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2019, 08:13 AM   #76
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loser Mentality View Post

Scott's numbers in points will continue to dwindle, you can tell he's not use to movement, and we don't incorporate him in the offense like the bigs, which means, he's got to be aggressive on drives to the basket, because he has no moves lol.

this is the 2nd game in a row Scott looked bad on defense. It appears he just might not be a good man defender. Young ate him alive and whichever guy he was guarding last night took him to the rim a few times. I didn't expect any of their guys to be able to take him like that.

He's grabbed a lot of boards, but he can't get beat like that every game, its gonna be trouble.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:24 AM   #77
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
this is the 2nd game in a row Scott looked bad on defense. It appears he just might not be a good man defender. Young ate him alive and whichever guy he was guarding last night took him to the rim a few times. I didn't expect any of their guys to be able to take him like that.

He's grabbed a lot of boards, but he can't get beat like that every game, its gonna be trouble.
I think Scott will be fine on D. Young made some tough buckets and the rest were on hustle plays and put backs. Last night Tre had to guard some speed and he won't have to do that a lot this year when we get to a more traditional lineup.

I am more worried about his offense in this system. He is perfect for the top of the key passing that Vogt and Sorolla are getting right now. He would be great in pick and roll. But he has to be one of the perimeter guys because Vogt and Sorolla can't shoot. If Diara could play it would alleviate all of that stuff but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Scott will suffer a bit unless we play small ball. He's the guy we need at the top of the key.
Old 11-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #78
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
I think Scott will be fine on D. Young made some tough buckets and the rest were on hustle plays and put backs. Last night Tre had to guard some speed and he won't have to do that a lot this year when we get to a more traditional lineup.

I am more worried about his offense in this system. He is perfect for the top of the key passing that Vogt and Sorolla are getting right now. He would be great in pick and roll. But he has to be one of the perimeter guys because Vogt and Sorolla can't shoot. If Diara could play it would alleviate all of that stuff but it doesn't look like that will be the case. Scott will suffer a bit unless we play small ball. He's the guy we need at the top of the key.

im gonna stand firm on the idea that a 6'4 non athletic guy should never ever be able to take scott to the hole. it happened multiple times last night.
Old 11-12-2019, 09:23 AM   #79
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im gonna stand firm on the idea that a 6'4 non athletic guy should never ever be able to take scott to the hole. it happened multiple times last night.
He ended up on the backside of some players going to the hoop for sure. Probably even got away with a foul on a block...he was draped over the guy. Not good...but there are not a lot of guys his height that are as mobile as he is. Maybe his instincts are poor? I don't worry too much about him on D
Old 11-12-2019, 09:53 AM   #80
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Last night was fun to watch.

And it shows how much functional depth we have.

it shows you how good OSU defended us and rarely made mistakes which is what this offensive depends on.
Drake didn't provide much resistance at all. They didn't gamble. But still to execute your offense in a live game is great for getting better.

But I do think it remains to be seen how this style of offense works against teams like Xavier, Tennessee and even Iowa. We know it works at the mid major level. But how it functions against good defense is still something Im curious about. \

Regardless, it was fun.. we should have an even easier ride on Thursday against Alabama A&M
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote