Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-19-2019, 04:05 PM   #191
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
are you being serious right now? What the hell did mick do at murray state?

You are literally comparing mick at UC, who was in the big east most of the time to Brannen at NKU
Mick and brannen are on two different career paths... With that said I don't know why you can't compare them
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 06:40 PM   #192
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Mick and brannen are on two different career paths... With that said I don't know why you can't compare them
Let's come back in 13 years and see how many Brannen has sent to the NBA. That's the only comparison that would make sense.
So far both sent 0 before coming to UC.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2019, 09:31 PM   #193
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Let's come back in 13 years and see how many Brannen has sent to the NBA. That's the only comparison that would make sense.
So far both sent 0 before coming to UC.
Sure but mick did have a top 50 win and a p5 win before he coached a game a cincinnati. Those will both be firsts for John Brannen when he gets them.

The reality is... we have no idea if John Brannen is going to be great at UC just like we had no idea about Huggins and Cronin.

I think Brannen can coach.

My biggest concern is still the recruiting aspect, we have a mid major staff (and that’s not a diss, the whole staff is just a mid major staff) and it maybe more mid major than any one else in our league. I’d like to see us make a big push for an experienced recruiter with ties to Recruiting hotbed.

Mick Cronin was too loyal to his staff. I don’t want to see thst kinda loyalty. I want to see results. If you have a truly good staff then their will be turnover because guys on your staff get job offers.

As far as new head coaches go, I think Travis Steele killed it with his staff hires. And it’s bearing fruit. We tried to do the same with pettway but it just didn’t work.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 06:17 AM   #194
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Sure but mick did have a top 50 win and a p5 win before he coached a game a cincinnati. Those will both be firsts for John Brannen when he gets them.

The reality is... we have no idea if John Brannen is going to be great at UC just like we had no idea about Huggins and Cronin.

I think Brannen can coach.

My biggest concern is still the recruiting aspect, we have a mid major staff (and that’s not a diss, the whole staff is just a mid major staff) and it maybe more mid major than any one else in our league. I’d like to see us make a big push for an experienced recruiter with ties to Recruiting hotbed.

Mick Cronin was too loyal to his staff. I don’t want to see thst kinda loyalty. I want to see results. If you have a truly good staff then their will be turnover because guys on your staff get job offers.

As far as new head coaches go, I think Travis Steele killed it with his staff hires. And it’s bearing fruit. We tried to do the same with pettway but it just didn’t work.
Who did he beat? Im looking at his schedule from 2003-2006 at Murray State and im not finding anyone better than Rice
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 09:21 AM   #195
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
Who did he beat? Im looking at his schedule from 2003-2006 at Murray State and im not finding anyone better than Rice
Southern miss was a top 50 team (#42 specifically

They were 25-5 that year and a 9 seed in the tourney.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:26 AM   #196
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Also if you want to dig deeper

Mick had 2 teams finish better at Murray state then John Brannen ever had Nku

Murray state finished 61, and 89 in his first 3 years
Nku best finish is 90
Old 11-20-2019, 09:29 AM   #197
justinhub2003
Epic Member

None of this matters. But it is the truth tho.

Mick had a slightly better resume before he was hired.
Old 11-20-2019, 09:54 AM   #198
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
None of this matters. But it is the truth tho.

Mick had a slightly better resume before he was hired.
You’re right, none of it does matter. Mick may turn out to be a better coach. He may not. Who knows. Unless you can tell the future, which some on here think they can. Can we at least wait a couple years at least to start comparing their accomplishments. Comparing top 50 wins in the horizon is dumb. Especially when he took over a program that just turn division 1. Think that may be a little harder but who knows. It doesn’t matter.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 10:07 AM   #199
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You’re right, none of it does matter. Mick may turn out to be a better coach. He may not. Who knows. Unless you can tell the future, which some on here think they can. Can we at least wait a couple years at least to start comparing their accomplishments. Comparing top 50 wins in the horizon is dumb. Especially when he took over a program that just turn division 1. Think that may be a little harder but who knows. It doesn’t matter.

But he had multiple top 50 win opportunities in those years at NKU. Just never got them.
He was however upset multiple times by teams ranked lower. Last year he lost to EKU and Cleveland state. To very bad teams.

The year prior... his best team, he ended up not making the tourney because his team lost in the first found to a terrible Cleveland state team.

I’m not making a statement one way or the other about which way this will go. Just noting that’s he’s rarely every gotten a win above his class and has multiple losses to teams below it.

Some people think John Brannen is the 2nd coming of John wooden but I’ve had a long long way to go to prove he is ready for this level. As it stands today he has 6 opportunities to land top 50 wins. I hope he wins all 6. But they will be a first for him.

So we can’t pretend he knows exactly what he is doing on the court and on the recruiting trail, because the reality is, he’s never done it before.

This league is full of tough coaches and so is our non conference, he will earn my respect this year if we can finish the non conference with some big wins and compete for the top 3.

Because it’s ripe for the taking
Old 11-20-2019, 10:50 AM   #200
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
But he had multiple top 50 win opportunities in those years at NKU. Just never got them.
He was however upset multiple times by teams ranked lower. Last year he lost to EKU and Cleveland state. To very bad teams.

The year prior... his best team, he ended up not making the tourney because his team lost in the first found to a terrible Cleveland state team.

I’m not making a statement one way or the other about which way this will go. Just noting that’s he’s rarely every gotten a win above his class and has multiple losses to teams below it.

Some people think John Brannen is the 2nd coming of John wooden but I’ve had a long long way to go to prove he is ready for this level. As it stands today he has 6 opportunities to land top 50 wins. I hope he wins all 6. But they will be a first for him.

So we can’t pretend he knows exactly what he is doing on the court and on the recruiting trail, because the reality is, he’s never done it before.

This league is full of tough coaches and so is our non conference, he will earn my respect this year if we can finish the non conference with some big wins and compete for the top 3.

Because it’s ripe for the taking
Big East team losing to Presbyterian is worse than anything a horizon league team could ever do
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote