Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-06-2018, 08:21 PM   #21
AZ BEARCAT
Elite Member

AZ BEARCAT is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cin City View Post
Diego Guevara...now a real estate agent in Charlotte. Had to look up how to spell his last name. Dude works for Keller Williams...so if anyone is in the market for a house...
Good for him. Thanks for the info.
AZ BEARCAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #22
cincycpaw
Epic Member

cincycpaw will become famous soon enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ BEARCAT View Post
Good for him. Thanks for the info.
That dude was annoying.
cincycpaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2018, 03:04 PM   #23
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I had a layover in Charlotte after the Orange Bowl 10 years ago and saw the Charlotte team walking through the airport. I wanted to boo them so bad even though they were no longer in our conference and it would mean I'm a complete jackass for doing it in an airport, haha
david aka the TYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:11 AM   #24
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Jenifer leading the country in assist to turnover by a wide margin right now per NCAA stats (minus X game which he improved his stat to about 7.8:1). His EFG% is pretty good and he's done a very sound job on the defensive side for his capability level.

We can always ask more (breaking down defenses etc) but if he keeps that up I will be extremely satisfied with his play all year. I won't be clamoring to reduce his minutes if he continues this play. Maybe the opposite.

His plus minus (from what I have heard) has been very good lately and that is the bottom line for me. I do still think we need Cane to get on track for our overall strength as a team...especially in tourney when we need offense.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:15 AM   #25
WAITE HOYT 2
Epic Member

WAITE HOYT 2 is on a distinguished road
Definitely need both. JJ’s effectiveness is a plus because it allows Cane to fill multiple roles. Bottom line is we are better when they both play and play well.
WAITE HOYT 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:25 AM   #26
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Jenifer leading the country in assist to turnover by a wide margin right now per NCAA stats (minus X game which he improved his stat to about 7.8:1). His EFG% is pretty good and he's done a very sound job on the defensive side for his capability level.

We can always ask more (breaking down defenses etc) but if he keeps that up I will be extremely satisfied with his play all year. I won't be clamoring to reduce his minutes if he continues this play. Maybe the opposite.

His plus minus (from what I have heard) has been very good lately and that is the bottom line for me. I do still think we need Cane to get on track for our overall strength as a team...especially in tourney when we need offense.

sometimes you just have to take a step back and appreciate a player for what he is. i argued for a long time for people to accept caupain for the player he was cause a lot of people wanted him to be a "true point guard".

ive been on jenifer a long time but i could use my own advice. instead of thinking about the things he doesn't do, i have to appreciate that he never turns the ball over, he passes the ball to where mick wants him to pass the ball to, he plays hard and fights like a dog on defense.

i have found myself on more than one occasion this year hoping jenifer was the one bringing it up and it wasn't left to cane (like in the unlv game).
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2018, 11:48 AM   #27
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
sometimes you just have to take a step back and appreciate a player for what he is. i argued for a long time for people to accept caupain for the player he was cause a lot of people wanted him to be a "true point guard".

ive been on jenifer a long time but i could use my own advice. instead of thinking about the things he doesn't do, i have to appreciate that he never turns the ball over, he passes the ball to where mick wants him to pass the ball to, he plays hard and fights like a dog on defense.

i have found myself on more than one occasion this year hoping jenifer was the one bringing it up and it wasn't left to cane (like in the unlv game).
Yah...we just don't lose possessions because of him. And when he shoots it's usually a high % look. He's not going to go into the trees and be very effective in there...so maybe we should be careful what we ask for. I think maybe we could benefit if he really pushed the ball up the court to beat a set D but after that...he can only do what will work for him or the team in a half court setting.

He seems to be doing almost everything he can really.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:25 AM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

I was looking on the Torvik site at our 3%. He has a breakdown of % made overall vs % made on assisted shots. There is no way to tell how many of each players shots were assisted nor do I know how they collect the data but the results are pretty crazy IMO. I will list the overall % first and then the assisted %.

Cumberland...44...86
Jenifer...46...82
Scott...33...100
Williams...28...100
Broome...19...80
Johnson...33...100
Moore...25...67
Fredericks...25...100

It's crazy that Moore is the outlier here at 67% made 3's from assists. The rest are above 80%. Of course for many of these guys the sample is extremely small but I think you can see the point here. Outside of Cumberland most of these guys should just be looking for the assisted set shot when determining if they should take a 3.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:29 AM   #29
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
I was looking on the Torvik site at our 3%. He has a breakdown of % made overall vs % made on assisted shots. There is no way to tell how many of each players shots were assisted nor do I know how they collect the data but the results are pretty crazy IMO. I will list the overall % first and then the assisted %.

Cumberland...44...86
Jenifer...46...82
Scott...33...100
Williams...28...100
Broome...19...80
Johnson...33...100
Moore...25...67
Fredericks...25...100

It's crazy that Moore is the outlier here at 67% made 3's from assists. The rest are above 80%. Of course for many of these guys the sample is extremely small but I think you can see the point here. Outside of Cumberland most of these guys should just be looking for the assisted set shot when determining if they should take a 3.
You can probably determine how many for a couple of players like Moore. He has made 3 of 12 overall and because he is 66% on assisted which means he is almost certainly 2 of 3 on assisted 3's and 1 of 9 on the rest.
Old 12-11-2018, 11:47 AM   #30
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
You can probably determine how many for a couple of players like Moore. He has made 3 of 12 overall and because he is 66% on assisted which means he is almost certainly 2 of 3 on assisted 3's and 1 of 9 on the rest.
Broome is 5 of 26 overall but 80% on assisted implying that he is 4 of 5 on assited shots and 1 of 21 outside of that.

Trying to interpret Jenifer's numbers. He is 11-24 overall and 81.8% assisted. I can get to 81.8% by going 9 of 11 which would mean he is 2 of 13 on the rest.

Anyone who has made 100% assisted would be hard to tell unless they only shot 1 which nobody has.

I don't know if I want to take a stab at Cumberlands who is 22 of 50 overall and 86.4% assisted

Last edited by waterhead; 12-11-2018 at 11:53 AM.