Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-13-2019, 01:24 PM   #181
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Getting skilled freshmen bigs isn't going to happen often at UC. There is limited supply of bigs and more competition for them. Getting freshmen and spending a year or two developing them is pretty common at the AAC level.

Sure I'd rather have a high rated big, but if you rely purely on grad transfers it's going to be hard to convince a high rated big that you are good at developing big men. Grad transfer bigs also tend to be in short supply, we can probably always get below average big men like Sorolla and Vogt. But it's going to be hard to have much consistency with bigs using that strategy and if you miss on a grad transfer big one year, you are pretty screwed. Grad transfers should be the backup, not the plan.

Brannen also said that he prefers to be done with recruiting by the early signing period, so I doubt grad transfer are a big thing for him.

Eason would be great to get. It's hard to say what our chances are, we seem not to be targeting PF's lately, so maybe that indicates Brannen likes our chances with Eason. Eason is a bit of a odd case as he's waiting until mid-december to commit. Nigel John seems to be a recent target at center. I imagine we will have at least one freshman big added by the end of 2019.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 01:52 PM   #182
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Grad transfer bigs also tend to be in short supply, we can probably always get below average big men like Sorolla and Vogt.
at least wait for them to play poorly before continuing this
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:24 PM   #183
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im gonna take a polished grad transfer over a 300 freshman. Missing out on him doesn't bother me a bit.
I would have to agree here. Once you get down that low in the rankings it's probably a 50-50 thing hit or miss. I would prefer we get one decent HS big and then a proven transfer of some sort. That way we have someone we know can at least give us backup minutes next year. If it takes a couple of years to get a HS kid ready to play I think that would be okay.

All things considered I think we did pretty well with Vogt and Sorolla so if that's the floor we should be just fine. It's probably not a home run but we can get some avg play out of them.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 03:32 PM   #184
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Polished grad transfers are hard to get especially bigs. And it’s risky because you don’t know what you have until the end of the recruiting cycle.

But your right, I don’t care that we missed on this particular guy. We absolutely need Eason
Speaking of Eason waiting till mid Dec seems odd. But I just wonder if he has already selected UC but wanted to see Brannen coach a little bit at UC before making it official? We play Eggs 12-7 and then Colgate and then Tenn 12-18.

Hopefully we real off the next 4 games with W's in the mean time
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:07 PM   #185
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Speaking of Eason waiting till mid Dec seems odd. But I just wonder if he has already selected UC but wanted to see Brannen coach a little bit at UC before making it official? We play Eggs 12-7 and then Colgate and then Tenn 12-18.

Hopefully we real off the next 4 games with W's in the mean time

i read dec 21st is the birthday of an aunt of his that passed away, he wanted to honor her buy announcing on that day.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:57 PM   #186
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
There are always the Vogt, sarolla, stainbrook, guys. I would rather keep taking those kinds of guys as backup plans while we try to get highly rated big. Rather than getting some project that won’t contribute till his senior year. I’m over those type guys.
I find this comment funny. Vogt has been one of the more positive contributors so far. His potential impact could be huge. I'm not saying he'll be all-conference, but his play has been pretty good given the new situation. I only see things improving unless there's some major breakdown.

Stainbrook was an overweight tub before he lost his scholarship, transferred to X and then took charge bypassing two really athletic bigs in front of him, and pretty much was the leader on the team during his two years there. He's playing on a really strong pro team in Europe now.

Brannen has little history for high school bigs who are looking to find a great team to join. It might take him a couple of years to earn a good reputation and land bigger recruits. We're gonna miss the Cumberlands next year for sure, but the newcomers this season seem like something to build on. The power conference structure in college hoops means UC is always going to have to scrap a bit.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #187
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sirthought View Post
I find this comment funny. Vogt has been one of the more positive contributors so far. His potential impact could be huge. I'm not saying he'll be all-conference, but his play has been pretty good given the new situation. I only see things improving unless there's some major breakdown.

Stainbrook was an overweight tub before he lost his scholarship, transferred to X and then took charge bypassing two really athletic bigs in front of him, and pretty much was the leader on the team during his two years there. He's playing on a really strong pro team in Europe now.

Brannen has little history for high school bigs who are looking to find a great team to join. It might take him a couple of years to earn a good reputation and land bigger recruits. We're gonna miss the Cumberlands next year for sure, but the newcomers this season seem like something to build on. The power conference structure in college hoops means UC is always going to have to scrap a bit.
Not sure why that was funny. Just saying these guys are always out there and I would rather have them than some 4 year project. Go for the Gary Clark every year. It only takes one to say yes.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote