Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-09-2019, 04:49 PM   #241
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Not arguing semantics just the way you framed it was not any way the situation. Just had nothing to do with playing time.

While I’m glad we got Harvey, it’s still a situation I’m exactly thrilled about. And I hope it’s the exception not the rule. It’s why I always thought Chris Mack was a scumbag
I was responding to someone suggesting we could have used Hardnett in the OSU game. Based on the idea that his spot opened up for Harvey I would think he would have been one of the last options used...if not last. That was the only point
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 10:34 PM   #242
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Not arguing semantics just the way you framed it was not any way the situation. Just had nothing to do with playing time.

While I’m glad we got Harvey, it’s still a situation I’m exactly thrilled about. And I hope it’s the exception not the rule. It’s why I always thought Chris Mack was a scumbag
Are we sure Hardnett would have played against aO$U? Hardnett made his debut for Buffalo playing 12 minutes off the bench in a 68-63 loss to Dartmouth. He had 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, and missed his only shot of the night to go scoreless. Not exactly impressive stats against a far inferior opponent compared to aO$U.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 11:10 PM   #243
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Agreed, Scott seems much more suited to playing the top of the key then Vogt/Sorolla and also much more suited to that role than the role he was playing last night. But it would only work if Vogt/Sorolla were out of the game, otherwise you are basically playing 4v5 on offense.

I know I wasn't a fan of playing small a couple weeks ago, but after seeing us be much better small in the exhibition and having Vogt/Sorolla not impress vs OSU (though Vogt was better than I expected minus the fouls) I think small is the way to go. It's possible playing small is the plan and OSU having Wesson forced our hand. We will see against Drake, their 7-footer is someone Scott should be able to handle and when they go small we may be forced to play small anyway. I'm hoping to see a lot of Scott, some Diarra and not very much Vogt/Sorolla against Drake.

The biggest issue with playing small may be our lack of depth. We need Moore to to healthy and/or some of the freshman guards to play well.
I don’t understand what you saw so negatively about Vogt/Sorolla. I mean they’re not anything special, but I think they did a pretty good job keeping a great player out of the game. And they made a couple decent plays on the offensive side. I think Vogt is definitely the better out of the two, little quicker. And yeah he had some fouls, but a couple were bogus too. I still like our chances with Scott at the 5, but against bigger teams they will do just fine.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:04 AM   #244
JoeRunner89

JoeRunner89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Quote:
Originally Posted by z_bearcat View Post
Are we sure Hardnett would have played against aO$U? Hardnett made his debut for Buffalo playing 12 minutes off the bench in a 68-63 loss to Dartmouth. He had 2 rebounds, 2 assists, 3 fouls, and missed his only shot of the night to go scoreless. Not exactly impressive stats against a far inferior opponent compared to aO$U.
Quote:
He only took one shot I don't know maybe after sitting out a yr he decided to pick his spots on a team he just hastily joined before the season. If he were here he would at the least be providing a more athletic big body that could hit the board or draw a screen. Just need as much talent as possible really the kid was going to play somewhere he's with a program that makes the tournament, but vogt and sorollo just alone are gonna have us in bonus situations all yr
JoeRunner89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:22 AM   #245
z_bearcat

z_bearcat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
He only took one shot I don't know maybe after sitting out a yr he decided to pick his spots on a team he just hastily joined before the season. If he were here he would at the least be providing a more athletic big body that could hit the board or draw a screen. Just need as much talent as possible really the kid was going to play somewhere he's with a program that makes the tournament, but vogt and sorollo just alone are gonna have us in bonus situations all yr
His team lost to Dartmouth. Let that sink in for a minute. Plus he didn't even start for his team. He is not a big or inside player. Could have maybe spelled Scott but not Vogt or Sorolla. He doesn't have that type of body.
z_bearcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 07:51 AM   #246
JoeRunner89

Quote:
His team lost to Dartmouth. Let that sink in for a minute. Plus he didn't even start for his team. He is not a big or inside player. Could have maybe spelled Scott but not Vogt or Sorolla. He doesn't have that type of body.
Yea its early in the yr they lost by 5 but, they have been in the tournament as of more recently. Hardnetts body type has to get better with time but you know if you can play 4 guards you can play 2 forwards or 3 it just depends, remember hicks and maxiel?..
Old 11-10-2019, 10:26 AM   #247
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeRunner89 View Post
Yea its early in the yr they lost by 5 but, they have been in the tournament as of more recently. Hardnetts body type has to get better with time but you know if you can play 4 guards you can play 2 forwards or 3 it just depends, remember hicks and maxiel?..
Remember how good Hicks and Maxiell were? That's not this guy.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 10:53 AM   #248
JoeRunner89

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
Remember how good Hicks and Maxiell were? That's not this guy.
Yea, clearly not right now and very possibly ever but was just stressing the point of using more than 3 forwards at once
Old 11-10-2019, 10:58 AM   #249
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
I think Vogt’s biggest issue all season will be fouls.

Guys who are more athletic then him will bait him into cheap fouls. So sorolla and Diarra will have to play a lot just to back him up.

I thought Vogt and sorolla did decent. But don’t think it was there one on one defense that stopped Wesson, but rather a Houston like doubling of the post.

We stopped Wesson, but it enabled Kyle young to be dominate. Had brooks stayed, I think we would have not had to junk it up as much. But regardless, it was a good game plan. We wanted someone else to beat us and the other OSU guys stepped up
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 12:47 PM   #250
sirthought

sirthought is on a distinguished road
Most of their fouls were mental issues more so than physical things. Swiping the arms down instead of just post them high. Going over the top of someone's head on a rebound. A moving screen because you want to roll quicker. These are theoretically correctable with training and confidence.

But most of the calls on Vogt were BS in my opinion.

Seriously, I thought they played way better than expected. And I think they'd have looked more impressive if guys were passing it to them on the pick and roll when there clearly was a good path to score. Out guards don't look so comfortable with that as much as you'd want.

I thought those two looked much more effective on the floor than Scott did overall. He's been a head scratcher to me so far. Cheering for him to improve.
sirthought is offline   Reply With Quote