Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-30-2019, 10:48 PM   #101
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
I think it’s mostly because they weren’t great shooting teams. I think it will improve when we get better shooters.
No Huggins team shot free throws like this and if they did they did they had to shoot a 100 every practice until it improved.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 10:49 PM   #102
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
practicing FT's is the biggest waste of time ever. Especially with this team. They need to be spending 100% of time on getting the offense in sync, learning the new defense, plays, etc. Not FT shooting. That is on the individual. Now if I'm Brannen I may be saying that once practice is over you are "volunteering" your time and won't leave until you make X amount of FT's, but no way am I spending the time during practice.
We lost a game Nd almost another because of poor FT shooting, I certainly wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 11:42 PM   #103
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Fts are mental. Practicing them just adds to the mental aspect of it.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 12:04 AM   #104
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Rycek View Post
We lost a game Nd almost another because of poor FT shooting, I certainly wouldn’t say it’s a waste of time
It's something they should be doing on their own time not wasting the limited amount of time available for official practice.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 05:50 AM   #105
Mort82

Mort82 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
That’s why his teams are horrible historically.

I knew there had to be an under lying reason
"Horrible historically"? Where's that come from?
Mort82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:34 AM   #106
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Fts are mental. Practicing them just adds to the mental aspect of it.
Agree. Is there any proof practicing free throws helps? I’m curious. Calipari always said those Memphis teams practiced a lot and still couldn’t shoot them. Mick said the same. Maybe if it’s a mental problem like McNeal but other than that I don’t think shooting 1,000 free throws is going to do anything.

I’ve never heard a coach say they don’t practice them but it makes sense. He shouldn’t tell the fans that though.

Last edited by cincyguy13; 12-01-2019 at 06:41 AM.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 06:40 AM   #107
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Vogt was solid again. We are now through 7 games and he has given us double figure points in 6 of them. I’ll take that, no matter what the competition is.
Old 12-01-2019, 07:42 AM   #108
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Vogt was solid again. We are now through 7 games and he has given us double figure points in 6 of them. I’ll take that, no matter what the competition is.
In the first half we tried to play the Cronin offense of just dump it to the big and let him take his man on. Vogt did not succeed at that method. In the second half we ran set plays to get him posted deep (and we also had a couple easy dunks for Vogt generated by our defense), which was much more successful.

Vogt's problem continues to be rebounding and defense, though he was actually pretty good on the defensive end last night. He had only 5 rebounds and only one offensive rebound. Luckily Keith and Maw (as well as Scott) have started to improve our rebounding, as thus far Vogt is far below average at rebounding.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:55 AM   #109
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
In the first half we tried to play the Cronin offense of just dump it to the big and let him take his man on. Vogt did not succeed at that method. In the second half we ran set plays to get him posted deep (and we also had a couple easy dunks for Vogt generated by our defense), which was much more successful.

Vogt's problem continues to be rebounding and defense, though he was actually pretty good on the defensive end last night. He had only 5 rebounds and only one offensive rebound. Luckily Keith and Maw (as well as Scott) have started to improve our rebounding, as thus far Vogt is far below average at rebounding.
He isn’t mobile enough to ever be an elite or even good rebounder. He can only get the balls that come to him. We definitely need everyone to go get the rebounds. Rebounding continues to be an issue.
Old 12-01-2019, 08:02 AM   #110
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

With Vogt you just have to take him for what he is. He has plenty of issues. He’s slow, can’t move, can’t shoot, struggles at the line. If he could do all those things, he wouldn’t be here. If he can give us what brooks did or something close, that’s all I want. And we have another year of him.