Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 12-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #131
Jon Rycek
Epic Member

Jon Rycek is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You’re trying really hard to put Vogt down. It’s weird.
I agree, it seems personal lol. Every single message is about how bad Vogt is. Like many have said, he’s not a star but he’s been a good role player and playing better than I expected.
Jon Rycek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:17 AM   #132
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
You didn’t, justinhub did. Was just using your post to say it wasn’t that bad.
When I said historically horrible I meant:
19-20 UC: #298 (64.3%)
18-19 NKU: #303 (67.1)
17-18 NKU: #128 (72.7)
16-17 Nku: #259 (68.0)
15-16 NKU: #260 (67.7)

It’s strange that a team so skilled as his were at Nku we’re such poor free throw shooters. 1 team in 5 years being an average free throw shooting says that at least based on historic precedent, we can expect the free throw shooting to not improve much.

And free throw shooting was a huge factor in a lot of their losses at Nku.

I’m just stating the facts but not much opinion input. Point was he said they don’t practice free throws, and the numbers say... it shows.

I think the kind of statement “we don’t practice free throws” should have been kept to him self. If we just won a game after making 30 of 30 free throws, the. Yea throw out that tidbit. But don’t say it’s after it nearly kills you for the 3rd time .
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:25 AM   #133
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
When I said historically horrible I meant:
19-20 UC: #298 (64.3%)
18-19 NKU: #303 (67.1)
17-18 NKU: #128 (72.7)
16-17 Nku: #259 (68.0)
15-16 NKU: #260 (67.7)

It’s strange that a team so skilled as his were at Nku we’re such poor free throw shooters. 1 team in 5 years being an average free throw shooting says that at least based on historic precedent, we can expect the free throw shooting to not improve much.

And free throw shooting was a huge factor in a lot of their losses at Nku.

I’m just stating the facts but not much opinion input. Point was he said they don’t practice free throws, and the numbers say... it shows.

I think the kind of statement “we don’t practice free throws” should have been kept to him self. If we just won a game after making 30 of 30 free throws, the. Yea throw out that tidbit. But don’t say it’s after it nearly kills you for the 3rd time .
Agree, he probably should have said that. Doesn’t help anything, and gives fuel to people that already had questions.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:43 AM   #134
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
i'd just like to point out if cumberland and mcneal shot what they shot in their last season of playing the team FT% would be 72.4 right now.

Scott, Williams, and Vogt have all made big strides in their ft% thus far.

Mcneal has the yips. Cumberland is still getting his legs back. Mcneal is currently 30 percentage points below what he put up his last 2 seasons. i dont recall ever seeing that before.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 08:56 AM   #135
Alum2013
Elite Member

Alum2013 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emperor Snapper View Post
Brooks' top shot blocking games were against Wichita St, SMU, East Carolina, Tulsa and NKU. He also had 2 blocks against OSU, Houston, Wichita, UConn, UCLA, and Memphis among others.

His top OREB games were against Houston, Wichita, SMU, and Memphis and had 4 OREB against OSU, UCF, Houston, and Temple among others.

His top scoring games included UCLA, Houston, UConn, Wichita, and Memphis.

He had some bad games against good teams, and some good games against good teams. He certainly didn't show a tendency to feast on weak teams, and it is not accurate to say that he was usually garbage against the best teams.
This is his scoring output in the other games against good teams. In full disclosure this was taken from another poster on another board and I didn't check them all for accuracy but I assume it's true.

"OSU - 7 points
George Mason - 3 points
Ole Miss - 4 points
UNLV - 9
Xavier - 4
Miss. State - 7
Memphis - 0....I repeat....0
Houston - 7
Wichita- 3
UCF - 2
Houston - 2"

Again, I'm not basing this on going back through all of UC game logs but I have a hunch his OREB numbers are inflated because he collected a good percentage of his first shot misses. Which tended to not be rare for Brooks to clank off the front rim or back iron.

All of this said, I dont get why Skyblade continues to being Brooks into every thread. Brooks is the one who decided to leave UC for his senior year. I highly doubt anyone wanted him to go.

Last edited by Alum2013; 12-02-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Alum2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:18 AM   #136
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alum2013 View Post
This is his scoring output in the other games against good teams. In full disclosure this was taken from another poster on another board and I didn't check them all for accuracy but I assume it's true.

"OSU - 7 points
George Mason - 3 points
Ole Miss - 4 points
UNLV - 9
Xavier - 4
Miss. State - 7
Memphis - 0....I repeat....0
Houston - 7
Wichita- 3
UCF - 2
Houston - 2"

Again, I'm not basing this on going back through all of UC game logs but I have a hunch his OREB numbers are inflated because he collected a good percentage of his first shot misses. Which tended to not be rare for Brooks to clank off the front rim or back iron.

All of this said, I dont get why Skyblade continues to being Brooks into every thread. Brooks is the one who decided to leave UC for his senior year. I highly doubt anyone wanted him to go.
I haven't been the one to bring Brooks up. I have responded to comments comparing Vogt to Brooks.

I don't hate Vogt, he's done much better than I anticipated. His FT shooting and foul rates, along with his scoring have been quite good.

But Brooks was a high-quality all around center and one of the best offensive rebounders in the country - other teams had to game plan to keep him off the offensive boards. Vogt is very good offensively and average or worse everywhere else. They aren't comparable.

As for why I bring up that Vogt's rebounding numbers being inflated by feasting on the two worst teams we have played. It's because from what I see - eye test - Vogt is below average to bad at rebounding - and really bad on the offensive end, but because of those two games, statistically he doesn't appear that bad.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 09:28 AM   #137
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
I haven't been the one to bring Brooks up. I have responded to comments comparing Vogt to Brooks.

I don't hate Vogt, he's done much better than I anticipated. His FT shooting and foul rates, along with his scoring have been quite good.

But Brooks was a high-quality all around center and one of the best offensive rebounders in the country - other teams had to game plan to keep him off the offensive boards. Vogt is very good offensively and average or worse everywhere else. They aren't comparable.

As for why I bring up that Vogt's rebounding numbers being inflated by feasting on the two worst teams we have played. It's because from what I see - eye test - Vogt is below average to bad at rebounding - and really bad on the offensive end, but because of those two games, statistically he doesn't appear that bad.
Did anyone say he was a great offensive rebounder? Or a great rebounder in general? Maybe I missed that. Who are you trying to convince?
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #138
HongKongPhooey

HongKongPhooey is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post

Eye test is great and facts are facts and the fact is in 13.8 mpg in his career Brooks has 3.4 rpg in 12.5 mpg Vogt has 3.4 rpg quit acting like Brooks is far superior to Vogt at rebounding.
HongKongPhooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:29 AM   #139
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Vogt has much better fundamentals and footwork offensively

But Brooks was a far better rim protector and blocks are only a part of rim protection. Brooks on/off court numbers speak for themselves.

I do think we need to add some kind of rim protector. Because Vogt can carry us offensively in the post but his lack of foot speed and quickness will always hurt him at at the rim help defense.

Either way.. Brooks is gone. So it doesn't matter and brooks made a choice based on education, he didn't even apply for a waiver.

And he could be a free agent next season if he wants to. We can re-recruit him lol

Either way, Vogt has impressed me. But i do think the Brannen staff would have done wonders for Brooks footwork and offensive fundamentals. Lets be real, Cronin wasn't great at developing footwork from his bigs offensively.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2019, 10:36 AM   #140
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post

But i do think the Brannen staff would have done wonders for Brooks footwork and offensive fundamentals. Lets be real, Cronin wasn't great at developing footwork from his bigs offensively.
i would have liked to see 4 years of scott with Brannen. Scott seems timid and fearful too often with the ball in his hands. i think 4 years of free thinking and not worrying about mistakes would have done wonders for him.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote