Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Who will win the Crosstown Shootout?
UC 33 75.00%
XU 11 25.00%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-04-2017, 10:46 AM   #611
cincrulz11
Epic Member

cincrulz11 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by WAITE HOYT 2 View Post
Sorry. Not feeling well today. Your certainly entitled to your opinion.
waite you've always been a top notch poster and probably the most respected person on here. you've been there through all the ups and downs of this place.
cincrulz11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 10:49 AM   #612
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
One other thing I will say is about coaching in big games or just in general. You have some Motivators out there and you have some guys who coach more like they are in the military.

I saw one timeout when Mack was motivating in the huddle and a lot of times (if not most) we see Cronin spend time telling players what they are doing wrong or even yelling.

I think the players need a few pats on the back or words of encouragement from time to time and not a constant barrage of yelling.

"Hey we can do this!", you can say that every once in a while...lol!

You can obviously get decent results from either style...but maybe a better approach would be a hybrid of the two. IDK

i would think the more laid back style might be the "better" way these days. the world in general is a different place than it was 20 years ago, screaming and yelling in general is viewed completely different now.

i have to admire a laid back guy like mike brey. mistakes happen, these guys aren't robots, brey just rolls with it and says get em next time.
Old 12-04-2017, 10:56 AM   #613
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCat View Post
Mick has never coached well in big games. He seems to panic and over-think stuff and then his substitutions just get goofy. Mack has his number.
im just not willing to go this far. they have won games against better opponents multiple times. but there are teams that have styles that eat us up, xavier happens to be one of them. the spread you out with shooters and guys that can drive style of offense destroys the type of defense we try to play. louisville was always better than notre dame when we were in the BE, but we played louisville much tougher every time than we did ND. its a match up thing, xavier just happens to be a really bad one for us.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:20 AM   #614
RDCat
Banned

RDCat is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
im just not willing to go this far. they have won games against better opponents multiple times. but there are teams that have styles that eat us up, xavier happens to be one of them. the spread you out with shooters and guys that can drive style of offense destroys the type of defense we try to play. louisville was always better than notre dame when we were in the BE, but we played louisville much tougher every time than we did ND. its a match up thing, xavier just happens to be a really bad one for us.
Just look at our postseason tourney and the NCAA tourney history under Mick. When he does finally schedule decent teams in-season, his performance isn't all that good either. Again, it's just a general observation, we spend the bulk of our schedule playing patsies and playing one style, then try to play good teams with a different style and substitution pattern. Add to that, all the whining and blaming the refs and getting into fights with opposing players, etc. His recruiting is improving, but other aspects are still woefully lacking. And yes, I know....30 wins last year, great team this year, 7 straight NCAAs. Still, something is missing in my opinion!
RDCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:29 AM   #615
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCat View Post
Just look at our postseason tourney and the NCAA tourney history under Mick.
we have been quiet unfortunate to draw teams that going into the game were very bad match ups for us a number of years in a row.

im also not buying the styles and substitution pattern stuff. we have always been a slow it down team against anybody that doesn't allow you to run up and down the court all game. that is micks style, he was like that at murray state too.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:37 AM   #616
Bearcats1232002

Bearcats1232002 is on a distinguished road
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ack/874080001/

I don't know if this has been mentioned but it was only a couple of weeks ago that pro golfer Steve Stricker lambasted X and Mack after their game at the Kohl Center. It is not just UC that has a problem with X's antics. It seems like they don't know how to be humble in victory but instead turn into cocky, mouthy, A**holes.
Bearcats1232002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:39 AM   #617
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post
https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...ack/874080001/

I don't know if this has been mentioned but it was only a couple of weeks ago that pro golfer Steve Stricker lambasted X and Mack after their game at the Kohl Center. It is not just UC that has a problem with X's antics. It seems like they don't know how to be humble in victory but instead turn into cocky, mouthy, A**holes.
These stories will follow them around all year. That's how they've decided to be. Teams are going to stop scheduling them. And it's their own fault.
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #618
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcats1232002 View Post

its been discussed. xavier frequently acts like this. the amount of in game scuffles and double technicals they draw are much higher than any other team i watch.

but hey they get away with it so whats the harm i guess.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:40 AM   #619
cincrulz11
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobkdoyle View Post
These stories will follow them around all year. That's how they've decided to be. Teams are going to stop scheduling them. And it's their own fault.
hasn't hurt them yet and its been going on for years and years.
Old 12-04-2017, 11:43 AM   #620
M64W

M64W is on a distinguished road
If you're good...

If you're really good, it shouldn't matter! Matchups play a part, I agree. But if you are really good, and well coached, you are able to adjust. From what I have seen thru the Huggins/Cronin era is that UC has as good as, or better, athletes than most teams, but overall basketball talent and shooting lack. Oh yes, they have had some good shooters, but only one on a team. They don't recruit shooters, they recruit athletes who can jump and dunk. The name of the game is putting the ball in the basket--Xavier can--UC not so much!!
M64W is offline   Reply With Quote