UC 84 Bellemaine 72

UC undefeated in the exhibition season.
ralph1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 03:48 PM   #2
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Was at the game and not really much to say.

Lawrence def. looked way better but needs to work on his ft routine.

UC's defense over extended, over helped, was a step slow/behind virtually on every play.

Mick looked like a hockey coach with his rapid shift changes every 2 minutes.

Every time Thomas came out of the game he looked pissed, whiny, shaking his head. At times he seemed very non interested in what was going on. Kinda seemed like he was pouting.

Can't say I feel confident for the regular season but at the same time not overly concerned. I def. am concerned with how we are going to score this year. Just seems like our offense will be a major question every year. We continue to struggle finishing around the rim. I personally don't see much difference, if any, from previous years.

Last edited by UCalum08; 11-02-2013 at 03:52 PM.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 04:14 PM   #3
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
This game was disappointing to me compared to last week.

- Everyone was non existent besides SK and Justin.

- WHY DOES JD NOT GET MINUTES. Hes the only one who can push the tempo and does it every time he can. Him not getting minutes is mind boggling.

- WHY DOES SANDERS GET MINUTES. Somoene tell me what he brings? Average defense? Zero offense? No Speed/Athleticism. Zero push tempo wise.

- Second half was much better than the first, defensively.

- Tempo was poor. This team will not win games if they cant get in the open floor, their half court offense isnt good.

- Lawrence, despite having 11 points didnt look great again imo. Looks unmotivated, soft and walks every time he touches the ball. He has to think about everything he does on the floor. Zero instinct.
Old 11-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #4
L-T
Epic Member

L-T is on a distinguished road
Davis playing zero 2nd half minutes was total BS!!! The guy played his butt off in the first half and spurred the team to their first lead. Everyone around me was in an uproar the whole 2nd half over him not playing.

Outside of that one glaring negative, I saw many positives and I think this team has a ton of potential. The depth and intensity were impressive. I saw a lot of positives with Lawrence, unlike others. He's playing a little tentative, but I can see a bright future with this kid....sooner rather than later. Also see a lot of potential in Kevin Johnson. Overall, I thought they were pretty impressive.

But still extremely pissed about the Davis situation.
L-T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #5
handwaver

handwaver is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by UCalum08 View Post
Was at the game and not really much to say.

Lawrence def. looked way better but needs to work on his ft routine.

UC's defense over extended, over helped, was a step slow/behind virtually on every play.

Mick looked like a hockey coach with his rapid shift changes every 2 minutes.

Every time Thomas came out of the game he looked pissed, whiny, shaking his head. At times he seemed very non interested in what was going on. Kinda seemed like he was pouting.

Can't say I feel confident for the regular season but at the same time not overly concerned. I def. am concerned with how we are going to score this year. Just seems like our offense will be a major question every year. We continue to struggle finishing around the rim. I personally don't see much difference, if any, from previous years.
^
That...I really noticed the defense frantically double teaming while an open Bellarmine player drained a 3.
Once again, lesser athletes with better basketball sense (as a team), couldn't keep up with UC's superior physical skills. I think a smaller rotation might help - Nyarsuk seemed useless...Lawrence will be good....in a while
Like everyone else, I don't get the no JD rule - he seems to spark the team.
handwaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #6
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
Originally Posted by handwaver View Post
^
That...I really noticed the defense frantically double teaming while an open Bellarmine player drained a 3.
Once again, lesser athletes with better basketball sense (as a team), couldn't keep up with UC's superior physical skills. I think a smaller rotation might help - Nyarsuk seemed useless...Lawrence will be good....in a while
Like everyone else, I don't get the no JD rule - he seems to spark the team.
Yeah I saw a hand full of times we had 3 guys trying to trap one guy. UC never really corrected their defensive/pressing woes.

On offense, UC didn't run one play except for setting two guys on the elbow then 3 guys behind the 3 pt line. Its going to be a tough season to watch if we continue to struggle finishing around the rim. Opposing teams will quickly and easily be able to defend our offense. :-/
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 05:55 PM   #7
Basketball.com
Banned

Basketball.com is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-T View Post
Davis playing zero 2nd half minutes was total BS!!! The guy played his butt off in the first half and spurred the team to their first lead. Everyone around me was in an uproar the whole 2nd half over him not playing.

Outside of that one glaring negative, I saw many positives and I think this team has a ton of potential. The depth and intensity were impressive. I saw a lot of positives with Lawrence, unlike others. He's playing a little tentative, but I can see a bright future with this kid....sooner rather than later. Also see a lot of potential in Kevin Johnson. Overall, I thought they were pretty impressive.

But still extremely pissed about the Davis situation.
I think that it will change when the season starts for Davis, he showed some good stuff! He will play more when the real show starts! Good kid and stayed positive throughout the whole game! Mick is unpredictable, we have a long season and I think at some point all of them will be used. I think he was just trying a few things out! Go bearcats!
Basketball.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
I thought Lawrence looked good, he was clearly nervous but started playing well after he shook of his jitters. I like Shaq, but he needs to put some arc on his shot, but wow when that kid wants to he can beat anyone off of dribble from the perimeter, he can have that 6 foot jumper whenever he wants.
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 08:18 PM   #9
david aka the TYZ
Epic Member

david aka the TYZ will become famous soon enough
I took alot of positives from today. To comment on the defense. I noticed in the first half, which someone alluded to in a previous post, that we were over pressing, especially after the ball crossed mid-court and it left guys wide open. I noticed in the second half they kept their pressing more to the full court and then set good traps in the half-court and Bellarmine wasn't getting those open looks anymore on seemingly every possession. I liked seeing the adjustment made. We knew the defense should be good this year, but the way they looked in the second half has me really excited.

I, too, wish Davis would get more minutes. Just watching him in warm-ups he's got such a nice stroke. I honestly don't get it either why he doesn't see more minutes, but my guess is it's because he must be completely lost on what Mick wants him to be doing out there. I'm guessing he might have been the one continually leaving his man to roam out to the corner for a wide open three to be the reason he saw his minutes disappear. We all know Mick will yank you quick if you forget your man out there. Honestly some of the plays the guys got so wide open that it was hard to tell who was supposed to be guarding them.

As far as Sanders, I think he sees minutes because he knows where to be on the floor at all times. Shaq has been known to lose his man out there. I wish Sanders would be more aggressive on offense, but I don't think he's a liability when he's on the floor like many do.

Lawrence looked 100 times better. He actually showed the flashes of why he was a high recruit. With that said, he definitely needs to get stronger. He has the moves, but in college the moves get you past your man, but you still have to finish over the help defense and he left a few close ones short. He made a couple nice moves though. I saw a little bit of good, too, on his instincts going for rebounds.

I thought Caupain and Johnson were kind of invisible today, but what I did notice was they both have very good instincts out there and give it 100%. Johnson looked good in the press. Mormon didn't play much, but I'm glad he played at least. I watched him shadowing his man on defense and was impressed (granted it was about 10 seconds). He looks like he could be a shutdown defender.

I think Guyn has shown alot of improvement. He's keeping his hands up on defense which is a big plus. I still notice that when he's on the floor that he doesn't command the ball. Alot of times Kilpatrick comes out to the top of the key and he stays out on the wing. That's not what I expect out of a point guard. But he doesn't look to be hurting us out there and he's made some nice pushes to the basket. His handles are better than I remember and he got some nice steals in the press.

Rubles looks more polished, too. This is going to be weird to say, but while I'm glad he isn't throwing up outside shots, I kind of want to see him throw some up to see if his shot has gotten better. He could be deadly if he were a dual threat. His defense is solid. He needs to focus more on finishing around the rim (as does everyone) but he is getting some really good looks.

Kilpatrick looks like a senior. He looks calm and in control and doesn't make mistakes. He has gotten to the rim with ease, which is awesome to see. We'll see if that continues to happen vs. some Division 1 competition and even more vs. top 25-type competition. But I really don't have anything negative to say about him at this point. Not saying he's perfect because we know he has his flaws, but good players learn how to play to their strengths and not expose their flaws and I'm hoping that's what we see from him this year.

I saved Jackson for last (other than Nyarsuk who hasn't shown me much of anything that he'll be more of a 5-10 minute spell when necessary). He looks like a complete different player. His aggressiveness on offense is not only good to see but it's actually been extrememly effective. Again, competition level but wow. The most impressive thing I saw from him was early in the first half when he got a rebound, dribbled once to square his body up, pump faked, got his defender in the air and got the shot off with the foul. He has just been impressive to say the least.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #10
JumpinJack5
Epic Member

JumpinJack5 is on a distinguished road
A few observations:
Again, very impressed with Caupain. He isn't amazing, but he doesn't make a lot of stupid mistakes. He plays within himself and makes good decisions, which is really all you can ask out of a freshman pg.

JD3 and Guyn should flip-flop roles. Guyn makes far too many dumb mistakes and really is no offensive threat, while JD3 offers us some of the scoring we so dearly need. I'm scratching my head on that one, just like the rest of you have mentioned.

Sanders gives us virtually nothing. He isn't as bad as Guyn, but he is still sort of a waste out there.

Lawrence was very solid, much improved from game 1. He made a few dumb freshman mistakes, but he showed that he has some nice moves to the basket.

Rubles is a completely different player when you put him on the block, I like it. He made a few mistakes, but overall, played a solid game.

Shaq didn't really do too much today, was hoping to see a repeat performance from him from last week.

Johnson looked fine, no horrible mistakes, nothing really amazing either.

JJ looked good yet again. He must continue to stay out of foul trouble and stay late after practice to shoot free throws. He looks like he will score a lot for us this year, so he better get accustomed to making them.

Nyarsuk looked solid in the first game, but looked lost today.