Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 02-21-2022, 03:13 PM   #21
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

TheLongHaul is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Rayvon and Paul were locks with Frank Martin.
Frank Martin would have been a terrible hire. A high 4* potential 5* and a middling 3/4* isn't reason to hire someone.

I think Wes could get Rayvon, doubt he even wants Paul. Could be wrong.
TheLongHaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2022, 03:15 PM   #22
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
defense is now 96 in efficiency our last 10 games, and the last 10 games we are 112 overall.

this team is tanking on the defensive end and the only hope we have in a lot of games is shoot over 50% from 3 with a hand in our face.

getting swept by temple is a low point.
The defense was never that good, which is why using stats exclusively doesn't work. They play good defense at times but generally aren't very good with on the ball defense and their rotations are pretty bad.

It's one thing to shoot so many 3's when you are a bad shooting team, but you better attack the glass. I swear half the time our 3's are in the air our entire team is running back on defense.
Old 02-21-2022, 07:47 PM   #23
Lawrugby

Lawrugby is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrugby View Post
Nothing we could do. Temple is on fire, not missing anything. They would be beating any team in the country the way they are playing. We are not playing that badly except for a flurry at the end of the half we would be ok. As it is, I hope we will be able to come back all the way. I am sure we will have a run and make it a game.
Exactly as I said. If not for the end of first half flurry we tie this game up and maybe win. This is not armageddon. Just bought tickets for senior night and looking forward to it.
Lawrugby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 01:46 PM   #24
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Queens_NYC View Post

I hope Miller has the cajones to force out the necessary players and recruit the right transfers in their place.
Ok, so which players are you "forcing out" (i.e. possibly revoking a kid's college scholarship?)

Serious question.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:14 PM   #25
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
Rayvon and Paul were locks with Frank Martin.
Frank is still coaching so we will see if he gets them both. We aren't even recruiting Paul so let's see if he gets Rayvon
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:26 PM   #26
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by UCats329 View Post
Ok, so which players are you "forcing out" (i.e. possibly revoking a kid's college scholarship?)

Serious question.
It would make more sense for players to see the light before the "talk". I mean Wes doesn't have to say leave or I will pull your scholly. A player who likes to play actual minutes rather than spot minutes can just say I get it...I just want to play BB again while I'm young.

Or...

"Hey listen kid I love you but I have a very tough time seeing much if any playing time here for you in any future games" "Are you okay with wasting your talents on the bench?" "You could be an absolute BMOC hero somewhere"
Old 02-22-2022, 05:30 PM   #27
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:

Serious question.
We currently have -1 open scholarships for next season and drastically need to improve in several areas.

We take away Banks' scholarship and that puts us at 0.

I'm definitely not forcing DeJulius out next season, but if he chooses not to return for a 5th year then that puts us at +1.

Same with Newman, although it seems like he is more certain to return next season.

If McGinnis can't see the floor on such an underwhelming team then I assume he's candidate #1 to be "encouraged" to explore other options.

If not McGinnis, then maybe Miller tells Madsen that he doesn't see a path for him to start next season and that Skilling/Reed will cut into his minutes, which encourages him to use his free transfer.

Do I think Hensley is up to snuff for this level? No.

Do I think Miller will/should give up on him after this year? No.

Everyone else is in good standing with me, but I wouldn't be upset if MAW or Saunders chose to go elsewhere after this season in place of some of the aforementioned players.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2022, 05:38 PM   #28
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:

Serious question.
Top two IMO are Hensley and McGinnis. Something is up with McGinnis anyway because I think he is a healthy scratch right now. Possibly hoping for a medical hardship to use somehow

Outside of that Hensley does not much for me. Nothing on offense for sure and maybe just a little on D. He's not good with the ball and so far he can't shoot a lick.

DDJ could say see ya later. We don't have to offer a 5th scholarship year to Newman (or do we?). Although these are not the two guys I would like to see go anyway.

Mason has a free transfer and so does Vik. Neither are playing as much as they want I am sure. Both seem to have some ability to get the crowd going but not always the coach
Old 02-23-2022, 08:51 PM   #29
TheLongHaul
Epic Member

A lot of you are suggesting Wes force out the same players you praised him for getting to come back. Maybe Brannen pushed so hard on these kids for the same reasons we are seeing on the court? Brannen had to scrap together a team the same way Wes had to but I still think they looked better under Brannen. They are getting worse as time goes on under Wes, which is never a sign of a good coach.

Obviously McGinnis would be a new one. I've questioned why so many were high on him when he was a UNCG commit for a reason. Same with Hensley. UC had basically become UNCG-North.
Old 02-23-2022, 10:31 PM   #30
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
As much flak as the placeholder guys Wes brought in in MAY 2021 or later, the "core" of this team is Brannen guys, and none of them exactly inspire confidence. Assuming that DeJulius is gone because he will have options, the first candidate that I would tell to get lost, frankly, would be Davenport. He's a defensive liability and a total black hole on offense when he's not nailing a bunch of threes, but he fires away like he's Klay Thompson. Saunders I could take or leave. I would try to retain all of the "effort" guys like Hensley, Newman, MAW, Lakhin, Oguama, Madsen--guys who aren't going anywhere better and at least might be susceptible to being "coached" and will at least mostly play within their limitations. There is clearly still a cultural issue with this team, because yes while the talent level is low and offense sucks due to a lack of post prrsence, a lot of what plagues them could be remedied by effort and getting guys on the same page defensively.

Last edited by UCats329; 02-23-2022 at 10:44 PM.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote