Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-17-2017, 09:32 PM   #111
RedlegZdid
Banned

RedlegZdid is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Guys. I’m not gonna Go too deep on this but the AAC sucks. And we we booked too many bad games. I hope this doesn’t haunt us
The bottom of the AAC is terrible no doubt but we knew that coming in. Our buy games this year leave a lot to be desired but its understandable when you figure the scheduling conflicts with NKU and the fact that we spent close to 90M upgrading 5/3 (so not as much money for top buy games). Luckily our stretch of December games and the conference giving us preferential scheduling will make up for it as long as we win.
RedlegZdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 06:44 AM   #112
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Guys. I’m not gonna Go too deep on this but the AAC sucks. And we we booked too many bad games. I hope this doesn’t haunt us
Thanks for not going too deep on this. If the league sucks, it sucks. Nothing we can do about it except dominate it and our occ games. Same thing Gonzaga did for years, Memphis, Wichita before this year. Same thing I’ve said from the start. We control our own destiny. Have to win. Not rocket science
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #113
juckerrules
Elite Member

juckerrules is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Not sure...Temple might be pretty damn good...UCF will start conference play with B. J. Taylor back and Tacko hasn't played yet. Hoping they don't drop too many low rent games before they get healthy. The bottom 5 look weak.

Temple & Wichita have good OOC schedules, they have to produce...& of course the Bearcats have to do their part against the Cayman group, X, FL & UCLA.

SMU has back-to-back games against USC & TCU, good resume builders.

I do wish the Cats had scheduled a few more 100-150 types instead of the 300 games...however, with all the new parts, maybe the meshing & seeing what the new guys do in real games is more important. If we win all the toughies, the cakewalks won't matter.
juckerrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 07:40 AM   #114
UCalum08
Epic Member

UCalum08 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to UCalum08
Quote:
You have been obsessed with this since our schedule came out. It is what it is man, we can only worry about the teams we play at the end of the day.
UCalum08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 09:16 AM   #115
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
There are some injuries already that certainly won't help (like UCF). Our marquee game against UCLA will also likely take a hit but should at least remain top 50 rpi.

last year our own rpi was 12...which is a 3-4 seed not a 6 seed. UCLA was #4 which is a 1-2 seed and they got a 3 seed. It was a lack of top 50 rpi wins that killed us...not our own rpi ranking. Even if UCF does not make it...we could still end up with more top 50 wins this year. If the committee looks at other metrics like they said they would...we should be just fine. We are holding steady in Kenpom even with a horrible SOS so far.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 01:20 PM   #116
jacobkdoyle
Epic Member

jacobkdoyle is on a distinguished road
Rob "The God" Gray bounced back and led Houston to a 2 point win over Liberty! Man can he score!
jacobkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 02:17 PM   #117
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
There are some injuries already that certainly won't help (like UCF). Our marquee game against UCLA will also likely take a hit but should at least remain top 50 rpi.

last year our own rpi was 12...which is a 3-4 seed not a 6 seed. UCLA was #4 which is a 1-2 seed and they got a 3 seed. It was a lack of top 50 rpi wins that killed us...not our own rpi ranking. Even if UCF does not make it...we could still end up with more top 50 wins this year. If the committee looks at other metrics like they said they would...we should be just fine. We are holding steady in Kenpom even with a horrible SOS so far.
Rankings and seeds are different things. You know that right? Just because a team is ranked 8th in the polls doesn’t mean they are a 2 seed
Old 11-18-2017, 02:20 PM   #118
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post

If they seeded strickly based on the rpi, people would just game the rpi. You seem to be confused by that
Old 11-18-2017, 03:18 PM   #119
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
So far UCF has avoided a bad loss even with out Taylor. I think it goes to show their much deeper than last year.

I think last year, they'd lost a lot of games with out Taylor.

I don't mind AAC teams losing to p5 opponents. But when teams are in our conference are losing to mid and low mid major teams, its bad news. Houston has potential but its going to be wasted unless they can pickup some of these better games on the schedule.

I think Temple, SMU, UC, & WSU should hold their own. UCONN looks improved but far from a finished product. UCF has injury issues but I just hope they hold it down against bad teams. Houston looked bad in a win today against Liberty and the loss against Drexel was brutal. They have to play Arkansas, Saint Louis and Providence, they need to steal 2 out of 3 of those wins to make up for that Drexel loss. None will be easy. Also need to beat LSU. Tulsa should have beaten Iowa State to make up for that Lamar loss but failed to do so. They are junk.

Hopefully Tulane keeps it up and makes up for Tulsa sucking.

So far:
AAC teams: 26-7
AAC vs the top 100: 4-2
5 losses outside the top 100
3 Upset losses (2 of them to 300+ teams)

Thanks to Temple, UCF and Wichita State, they combine for 4 top 100 wins which is good. UCF's win over Mercer will count for something this season. Tulsa's loss to Iowa State was a missed opportunity but overall not terrible. The top of league is winning when they supposed to and overall playing well, but its really the 2 300+ plus losses that are completely unacceptable.

Also of note: UC has played the worst schedule of any team in the AAC so far. Though with all the new guys and especially new PG situation, its probably best to easy into the season. Get tough from here on out.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2017, 03:20 PM   #120
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Also of note:

We are nipping on the tail of taking 6th place from the Pac 12.

This is the closest the gap has ever between the AAC and the top 6.
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote