Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

View Poll Results: What will our AAC record be?
16-2 or better 1 3.85%
15-3 1 3.85%
14-4 2 7.69%
13-5 6 23.08%
12-6 2 7.69%
11-7 9 34.62%
10-8 1 3.85%
9-9 3 11.54%
8-10 1 3.85%
7-11 or worse 0 0%
Voters: 26. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-26-2019, 04:08 PM   #31
Goldpanner

Goldpanner is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
1) It's still relatively early in implementing a completely new system for a bunch of new players. The offense is improving, albeit slowly. And this is with their returning players not playing up to their potential.

2) Even if the style wasn't working, you really think Brannen is going to change it this shortly into his career at UC? I mean he was brought in part because of the fun style he plays. But more importantly recruits that aren't that familiar with Brannen are in a wait and see mode. If they see him scrap his style for Cronin's grind it out style he'll be just as unsuccessful in recruiting as Cronin was. These next couple classes are huge for Brannen and UC, and the recruits are watching and expecting his style of play. Brannen has to be thinking about the future as well with his decisions.

3) There is only so many hours they are allowed to practice together. In that time they need to learn the new offensive system but also their defensive system. They frankly don't have much time to learn zone. They need to pick their poison, and defense really hasn't been killing them either, it's their offense, turnovers, and FT shooting.
Well said. I would rather be patient for a year or two to have a different style of play to work. Grinding out just does not work in March. It takes scoring. ISO ball only goes so far. Let’s give it a chance
Goldpanner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2019, 05:44 PM   #32
cincyguy13
Epic Member

cincyguy13 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLongHaul View Post
1) It's still relatively early in implementing a completely new system for a bunch of new players. The offense is improving, albeit slowly. And this is with their returning players not playing up to their potential.

2) Even if the style wasn't working, you really think Brannen is going to change it this shortly into his career at UC? I mean he was brought in part because of the fun style he plays. But more importantly recruits that aren't that familiar with Brannen are in a wait and see mode. If they see him scrap his style for Cronin's grind it out style he'll be just as unsuccessful in recruiting as Cronin was. These next couple classes are huge for Brannen and UC, and the recruits are watching and expecting his style of play. Brannen has to be thinking about the future as well with his decisions.

3) There is only so many hours they are allowed to practice together. In that time they need to learn the new offensive system but also their defensive system. They frankly don't have much time to learn zone. They need to pick their poison, and defense really hasn't been killing them either, it's their offense, turnovers, and FT shooting.
Agree 100%. The situation sucks. If Everyone came back, yes we would be a top 25 team but let not act like that team wouldnt have challenges.
cincyguy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:28 PM   #33
justinhub2003
Epic Member

justinhub2003 is on a distinguished road
Tennessee is getting its doors blown off at home to a 6-5 Wisconsin team.

Like I said... Tennessee will fall apart. And Brannen’s first top 50 win will like barely be top 75 if we are lucky.

Literally by mid conference play, we will look back at the non conference and say we don’t have a single tier 1 or 2 win to show for it.

16-2 is a must if not better. And you have to beat Memphis in cincinnati. Have to
justinhub2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 02:31 PM   #34
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincrulz11 View Post
i mean we just held Iowa to .988 ppp, the 4th most efficient offense in the country. in the tournament they scored 1.17 ppp vs our match zone. defense definitely didn't lose that game.
Let’s be real. We took advantage of Iowa not having a veteran PG, so we generated a lot of turnovers.

When they wanted to score, they scored. Points per possession can be deceiving when a team has 24 turnover and STILL scores 77 points.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:16 PM   #35
mdchick
Epic Member

mdchick is on a distinguished road
Mick loses to Cal State Fullerton at home.... yikes
mdchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2019, 06:17 PM   #36
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
Tennessee is getting its doors blown off at home to a 6-5 Wisconsin team.

Like I said... Tennessee will fall apart. And Brannen’s first top 50 win will like barely be top 75 if we are lucky.

Literally by mid conference play, we will look back at the non conference and say we don’t have a single tier 1 or 2 win to show for it.

16-2 is a must if not better. And you have to beat Memphis in cincinnati. Have to
We aren’t going 16-2. I know that for sure. Just a down year. It sucks but is what it is. It’s obviously a little harder than any of us imagined. Or maybe Brannens the worst coach of all time. Who knows.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:18 PM   #37
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdchick View Post
Mick loses to Cal State Fullerton at home.... yikes
Whether you think mick can coach or not, they shouldn’t be losing these games. Nor should we. Maybe it is harder than we think for new coaches.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:25 PM   #38
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
Whether you think mick can coach or not, they shouldn’t be losing these games. Nor should we. Maybe it is harder than we think for new coaches.
No excuse for mick or Brannen what so ever to lose to sub 100 teams especially at home.

That said, there has been a lot of talk about Brannen not having his own guys to run his system and that’s why we are failing. I think an even more extreme version of that take could be said for Mick at UCLA,

Not a single guy on their team is a kid he recruited. And even next season, he only brings in 1 of his own guys assuming no transfers. But I think UCLA will be top 25 good next season.

And I hope John Brannen has a top25 team too
Old 12-28-2019, 06:36 PM   #39
cincyguy13
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinhub2003 View Post
No excuse for mick or Brannen what so ever to lose to sub 100 teams especially at home.

That said, there has been a lot of talk about Brannen not having his own guys to run his system and that’s why we are failing. I think an even more extreme version of that take could be said for Mick at UCLA,

Not a single guy on their team is a kid he recruited. And even next season, he only brings in 1 of his own guys assuming no transfers. But I think UCLA will be top 25 good next season.

And I hope John Brannen has a top25 team too
The guys brannen did get were largely whatever was left. Not like there is a ton of great players to recruit in may and June. Neither coach is killing it but you can’t give one coach a break and say the other is terrible. There may be reason they are both struggling. Maybe it’s hard for any coach at a new school that isn’t named cal.
Old 12-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #40
justinhub2003
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cincyguy13 View Post
The guys brannen did get were largely whatever was left. Not like there is a ton of great players to recruit in may and June. Neither coach is killing it but you can’t give one coach a break and say the other is terrible. There may be reason they are both struggling. Maybe it’s hard for any coach at a new school that isn’t named cal.
No breaks for mick... but also I don’t care one bit since I don’t care what UCLA does.

That said I don’t believe mick and CJB inherited any where near the same kinda situation. Both have underwhelmed. But both had very different returning rosters and very different expectations.