Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 03-18-2021, 09:55 AM   #1
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Coaching Carousel

I've seen quite a few people say that we simply cannot afford to fire Brannen. That without cause, we would owe him 4.5 million, which isn't an option.

When I first saw this figure my first thought was "Yeah, that makes sense". But in thinking about it more, I really don't think it does. In fact, not at all.

For discussion's sake, let's all just agree that we cannot afford 4.5 million to move on. Well, what about next year? If he stinks next year, can we move on then?

We would have to pay him 3.375 mil to fire in 2022. Can we afford that?

If your answer is yes, we can afford 3.375 mil (but not 4.5) then I really have to wonder if this University is truly looking at the big picture. Can we really delay this any further because of a measily 1.125 million dollars?

If your answer is no, we can't afford 3.375 mil either then that means were stuck with him for two more years. We're also stuck paying him a 1 million dollar bonus in March of 2022, which kind of negates a lot of these money issues referenced above. (If you fire him after 2 more years the payout is 2.25 mil + the 1 mil dollar bonus the year prior, so you're right back to a total of 3.25 mil invested)

So when exactly can we afford to fire him? Next year (3.375), the year after (3.25), or finally the year after that, after 3 more years (2.215)? Can we ever afford to fire him?

I'm not writing any of this to say we 100% have to fire John Brannen. I personally think we should but I'd be willing to listen to reasons that we should not. I just don't think those reasons should be money related.

We have a brand new 100 million dollar rennovation at 5/3. We're always looking to move into a Power 5 (I know football drives this, but a quality basketball team doesn't hurt. Especially to a conference like the ACC) There's potential money to be gained or lost by having either good or a shitty basketball program.

I just think that if the school and the AD decide to stick with Brannen it's gotta be for the right reasons (not sure there are any). This athletic department had a surplus of 8 million dollars last year, (where did it go?) and the school itself has plenty of cash for all sorts of projects. Move some of that into a payout if need be.

You can't let the difference between 4.5 million and 3.375 million prevent from you from torpedoing your historic basketball program. And you can't commit to Brannen for 2 more years if you still think the 3.375 million is too expensive.

Curious to hear some of your thoughts on this. I'll wrap it up with this, it's going to have to be more than money to convince me this guy needs to stay, and I'm struggling to find those reasons.

Last edited by MDW79; 03-18-2021 at 10:06 AM.
MDW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:30 AM   #2
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Not happening. Time for Brannen to get some recruits in quickly.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2021, 10:54 AM   #3
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Not happening. Time for Brannen to get some recruits in quickly.
Alright, so when do you think we could afford to fire him? Because it seems to me if the excuse is money then we're going to be stuck with him for a minumum of two more years.

I hope the Unniversity isn't being short-sided here. The amount of damage that can be done over this time is pretty scary. Although, the amount of damage that's already been done is pretty scary too.

To each their own, I can't see this turning out good. And no matter when we fire him we're going to be stuck paying out a decent chuck of change. Hell, the guy is due a 1 mil dollar bonus next March.
Old 03-20-2021, 12:52 AM   #4
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Chris Holtmann

Yeah, he's made just one Sweet Sixteen in 11 years as a head coach and just lost in a 2-15 game today to Oral Roberts, but he's much better regarded than that little midget we used to have.

Is it time for Ohio State move on though? Maybe we could bring him in through the transfer portal?

Last edited by UCats329; 03-20-2021 at 12:58 AM.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 12:56 AM   #5
UCats329

UCats329 is on a distinguished road
Archie Miller

The recently-fired Indiana head coach. Pretty good track record: one second weekend tournament appearance in the last decade, and also makes the tournament about every other year. I hear he was good at Indiana.

Maybe a guy to consider if Jeff Wyler and Mike Valentine pony up for Brannen'a buyout.
UCats329 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #6
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Not happening.
Old 03-20-2021, 08:09 AM   #7
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

Not happening.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:01 PM   #8
Bcatfollower
Epic Member

Bcatfollower is on a distinguished road
https://theathletic.com/2466105/2021/03/20/david-dejulius-speaks-out-on-his-support-for-coach-john-brannen-commitment-to-cincinnati-basketball/?amp
Bcatfollower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2021, 03:23 PM   #9
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

^^^^

Practice was too hard... Lol.
Old 03-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #10
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
I continue to hold out hope that Brannen will be fired. Until the administration comes out with a statement of support for Brannen, I think there is a chance. It's hard to believe they will remain completely silent.

Cincy Slangin podcast says that they payout drops by $500k if they fire him after April 1st. Not sure where that number comes from, but if true it could mean they are waiting.

Saunders post that on that "door isn't closed" is almost certainly hinting at the firing of Brannen. Saunders burned bridges with Brannen, he had multiple twitter DM's leak that say he is leaving because of Brannen. The anonymous player saying he loved everything about being here, except the coach is almost certainly Saunders. Brannen's wife liked posts trashing Saunders for leaving. If the door isn't closed, it's because someone on the inside is still talking to Saunders and telling him Brannen may still be fired.

We are in rebuild mode now. We aren't going to be good next year. So we need to either commit to 2/3 more years of Brannen or fire Brannen now. Waiting to see for 1 year isn't fair to him (he can't recruit for the future) and isn't fair to UC (delays the rebuild).

Maybe it will all be done behind the scenes. Pushing the narrative that the freshmen players were just soft (and please ignore that Sorolla, Rap and Moore left mid-season that Cumberland says he's a mid-major hack, that Harvey was a Sophomore and that the strength coach quit).

But I'd think that if he's going to stay the admin will come out and say he has at least 2 more years and mean it.

Last edited by skyblade; 03-20-2021 at 03:57 PM.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote