Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Alabama A&M

Tuesday, November 16th, 2021
7:00 PM
Fifth Third Arena
ESPN+

The Bulldogs (KP #329) won their first game against Tennessee State (KP #318) 82-73 and followed that up with a 70-47 loss at Jacksonville State (KP #124) in what will be the first of 12 consecutive road games.

Alabama A&M just happened to be our 3rd game of the season two years ago, and served as victims of the greatest beat-down of the Brannen era when they lost 85-53.

4 key players from that 19-20 team remain: 6'7 F Jalen Johnson, 6'0 G Garrett Hicks, 6'1 G Cameron Tucker, and 6'10 C EJ Williams from Middletown, OH.

Alabama A&M are the first of 3 SWAC teams to visit Fifth Third this season with Florida A&M and Texas Southern set to come to town in mid-December.

Hopefully we see our best offensive output of the season and are able to give end-of-the-bench players some extended minutes.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:10 PM   #2
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Ado off to a bad start again. Just don’t get it right now
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 06:11 PM   #3
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Getting good looks from 3 and we're nailing them early on. Exactly what you want to see.

I've tried to stay optimistic about him so far, but Ado does not look like a capable starting big. I wonder if he's fighting an injury.
Old 11-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #4
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
I can see him doing better against guy’s like Kofi coming up but right now not a positive presence
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:03 PM   #5
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

If that 1st half was anything, it was a wake up call.

Need better effort on defense and better execution on offense.
Old 11-16-2021, 07:09 PM   #6
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
We weren't particularly good at FG% defense against Georgia either, we just forced a bunch of TO's and didn't give up many offensive rebounds. Johnson using he size and better positioning to dominate Davenport (who he has a pretty big size advantage on) and Ody (who doesn't know how to box out). Koval may be the best defender on him.

We really need Lakhin to get and stay healthy. Ody and Ado have not been good so far this season and Davenport is undersized and struggles with some bigger guys.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:30 PM   #7
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

We were 12-16 on 2-point FGs and 13-14 from the FT line in the 2nd half - just goes to show that this team can be halfway decent offensively when they really lock in.
Old 11-16-2021, 08:35 PM   #8
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I'm surprised that Ado can have as many career blocks as he does with such limited mobility. He will be useful against some teams with strong low post players, but I'd much rather have Koval in the starting lineup. Newman's strengths should become more apparent when we play teams with guards and wings who like to iso.

Mason saw a lot of time at the 3 tonight, which I think is his best position. He's a little slow and has poor handling for a guard. With DDJ's shooting looking a lot better, we have two guys that can create their own jump shot. If we pair them with MAW and Davenport who are good catch and shoot guys, we can space the floor and the offense works. Saunders had some nice drives while playing alongside DDJ and Mason.

Ody and Hensley are out of control on offense and defense. That works out at times, but they need polishing before they play extended minutes IMO.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 08:50 PM   #9
sedziobs
Senior Moderator

sedziobs is on a distinguished road
I think this is my preferred rotation after three games:

DeJulius 15 / Saunders 25
MAW 20 / DeJulius 10 / Mason 5 / McGinnis 5
Newman 20 / Mason 10 / Davenport 10
Davenport 15 / Lakhin 10 / Ody 10 / Hensley 5
Koval 20 / Lakhin 10 / Ado 10

The nice thing about our depth is we can play very different lineups. We can go very big or very small, all shooters or all defense.
sedziobs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2021, 07:00 PM   #10
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Yikes. To that first half.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote