Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 11-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #31
skyblade
Epic Member

skyblade is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by waterhead View Post
Anyone surprised to see MAW lead the team in minutes? Was not a projected starter or key scorer. And he did not have big stats. But he was out there for 27 minutes. More than JD and DD and Newman. He didn't pop out on paper but obviously he was doing some things right for the coach to lead the team in minutes.
MAW is one guy who Brannen said always did the right things, even though he doesn't stuff the stat sheet. It seems like Wes agrees. Chad said he expects MAW, Mikey and DDJ to be our main three creators on offense, so it's not a huge surprise MAW got the most minutes.

I think it's in part just coincidence as well, so I wouldn't read to much into it. We really only played three guards (four counting Mason, but Mason was also the primary backup for Newman at the 3). Both Mikey (in the first half) and DDJ (in the second half) got into foul trouble, so MAW got the benefit.
skyblade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 09:51 AM   #32
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Breaking down some stats. 7 was a lucky number. For DD he had 7 rebounds and 7 assists. JD had 7 defensive rebounds (1 offensive). Vik had 7 total rebounds.

Looking further at rebounds and assists. MAW had 4 assists and 1 RB. Mason had 5 rebounds. Ody had half of our offensive RB's (3).

Newman had 1 rebound in 24 minutes. And did not otherwise particularly impress.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:05 AM   #33
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Breaking down some stats. 7 was a lucky number. For DD he had 7 rebounds and 7 assists. JD had 7 defensive rebounds (1 offensive). Vik had 7 total rebounds.

Looking further at rebounds and assists. MAW had 4 assists and 1 RB. Mason had 5 rebounds. Ody had half of our offensive RB's (3).

Newman had 1 rebound in 24 minutes. And did not otherwise particularly impress.
Koval (3, all defensive) and Ado (1 offensive) did not particularly impress in the rebounding department either. Ado/Koval didn't pursue the ball well when the shot went up. Ody was definitely our best offensive rebounder, though Lakhin did pretty good as well. Especially given our size advantage I thought we'd see a lot more domination of the glass. Wes said post game he wasn't happy with the offensive rebounding.

I agree on Newman, thought Mason played better as his backup. Newman did show the ability to drive in for a mid range pull up, but he made only one of them and missed 3 or 4. Newman might be our best on ball defender, but that only provides so much benefit if he doesn't contribute in other areas.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:15 AM   #34
Queens_NYC
Epic Member

Queens_NYC is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Anyone surprised to see MAW lead the team in minutes? Was not a projected starter or key scorer. And he did not have big stats. But he was out there for 27 minutes. More than JD and DD and Newman. He didn't pop out on paper but obviously he was doing some things right for the coach to lead the team in minutes.
That is a surprise. My initial guess would've been DeJulius or Davenport.

After taking a closer look at the box score, it was surprising to see the contrast in shooting numbers between our starting 5 and our bench.

Starters: 10-29 FGs (34.5%)
Bench: 15-26 FGs (57.7%)
Team: 25-55 FGs (45.5%)

Starters: 3-13 3FGs (23.1%)
Bench: 4-10 3FGs (40%)
Team: 7-23 3FGs (30.4%)

The bench outscored the starters 36-29.

The starters did shoot considerably better from the FT line though.
Queens_NYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 10:19 AM   #35
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
Koval (3, all defensive) and Ado (1 offensive) did not particularly impress in the rebounding department either. Ado/Koval didn't pursue the ball well when the shot went up. Ody was definitely our best offensive rebounder, though Lakhin did pretty good as well. Especially given our size advantage I thought we'd see a lot more domination of the glass. Wes said post game he wasn't happy with the offensive rebounding.

I agree on Newman, thought Mason played better as his backup. Newman did show the ability to drive in for a mid range pull up, but he made only one of them and missed 3 or 4. Newman might be our best on ball defender, but that only provides so much benefit if he doesn't contribute in other areas.
Agreed. Ody has the motor and Vik has the nose for the ball.

As for Newman I am going to wait to judge. His shots didn't seem much more than an inch or two off but I was under the impression after watching his frosh year tapes...he was going to the rack and finishing in traffic more. That's my only beef right now with him (other than 1 rebound). Sure he missed some shots but I want him going to the rim more based on previous tapes. Get the other team in foul trouble or kick/dish.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:25 AM   #36
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Agreed. Ody has the motor and Vik has the nose for the ball.

As for Newman I am going to wait to judge. His shots didn't seem much more than an inch or two off but I was under the impression after watching his frosh year tapes...he was going to the rack and finishing in traffic more. That's my only beef right now with him (other than 1 rebound). Sure he missed some shots but I want him going to the rim more based on previous tapes. Get the other team in foul trouble or kick/dish.
It seemed like we didn't really get the openings in the lane needed for straight line drives. The guys who got to the rim (mostly DDJ and Mikey) did it by beating their man off the dribble. I think we were too slow with our passes and didn't move the ball around enough, which allowed the defense to adjust and prevent lanes opening. With time, we should see more of it from both Newman and Davenport as our offense improves.
Old 11-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #37
waterhead
Senior Moderator

Quote:
MAW is one guy who Brannen said always did the right things, even though he doesn't stuff the stat sheet. It seems like Wes agrees. Chad said he expects MAW, Mikey and DDJ to be our main three creators on offense, so it's not a huge surprise MAW got the most minutes.

I think it's in part just coincidence as well, so I wouldn't read to much into it. We really only played three guards (four counting Mason, but Mason was also the primary backup for Newman at the 3). Both Mikey (in the first half) and DDJ (in the second half) got into foul trouble, so MAW got the benefit.
I would probably disagree here with Chad on "creator". DD seems to be the only one who can reliably create his own shot or other shots for the team
Old 11-10-2021, 11:04 AM   #38
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
I would probably disagree here with Chad on "creator". DD seems to be the only one who can reliably create his own shot or other shots for the team
To be fair to Chad, I think it's a matter of he (and others) think at some point you need someone other than DDJ to step up. So Mikey and MAW are the two guys he thinks are most likely to. The other two possibilities I thought were Lakhin and Hensley. Lakhin looked like maybe he will get there. Hensley not so much (at least not this year).

Wes said post-game that Lakhin injured his ankle and was out for a week or so and missed our second scrimmage, he was only fully healthy again for the last 5 or so practices. Said Lakhin has looked even better in practice (and others have indicated this as well). So Lakhin may be a better bet to become the next go to guy than MAW/Mikey.
Old 11-10-2021, 11:36 AM   #39
TheLivingLegend
Epic Member

TheLivingLegend will become famous soon enoughTheLivingLegend will become famous soon enough
Quote:

Not sure I agree on Newman. Thought his defense was poor. Gave up dribble drives and open looks. Hoping game one jitters.
TheLivingLegend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2021, 03:30 PM   #40
skyblade
Epic Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
Not sure I agree on Newman. Thought his defense was poor. Gave up dribble drives and open looks. Hoping game one jitters.
I was referring more to the claims that have been made about him (including by Wes) than to his actual performance over one game. I believe Chad has also said that he expects Newman to be our best defender (the guy you put on the other teams best player to shut him down).

If Newman improves, great. If not, Mason looked plenty able to take his minutes.