Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball

Old 05-14-2021, 09:53 AM   #131
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDW79 View Post
John Newman was a UNCG commit was he not?

Miller took 4 kids from UNCG (Koval, McGinnis, Hensley and Newman).
Newman wasn't a UNCG guy...he was a Wes Miller guy. He came to UC with Wes from Clemson.

As for Roberts...yes he WAS a UNCG guy but he went and got experience in the B10. And don't let his job title there fool you.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:57 AM   #132
itsamemario

itsamemario is on a distinguished road
Quote:
John Newman was a UNCG commit was he not?

Miller took 4 kids from UNCG (Koval, McGinnis, Hensley and Newman). 3 of them were already on the roster and the other was already commited (Newman).

Mike Roberts was a UNCG assistant was he not?

He was there from 2011-2019 and was the Assistant Head Coach. His last job at Indiana wasn't even as a coach it was an adminstrative role. He was the assistant AD.

I don't think I was being dishonest at all with using the word ties. He took 4 kids with ties to UNCG, and he took 3 coaches with ties to UNCG. None of this is any way untrue. In fact, I was careful to use the word "ties" for the very reasons you just described.

Tell me if this statement is true or not: 4 players that were going to be on UNCG roster in '21 are now going to be on UC's roster in '21.

The only reason I used North Carolina as a whole was to include the recent Wake transfer (Aguama) They're all connected to the state of North Carolina.

PS I won't comment any further about whether this is the right move or not. I've made my opinions known.

You should really start doing some research before posting this stuff. Roberts was an assitant coach. New head coach Mike Woodson changed his role....to bring in his own staff. like all coaches do.

Stop with the UNCG players stuff. UNCG would have blown out UC last year
itsamemario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 09:58 AM   #133
MDW79

MDW79 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by kskenyon4 View Post
It's like any player who leaves UC is gold but the same standard isn't applied to incoming.

I looked and can't find any articles quickly, but who even recruited Harvey in the portal? Where else could he have legitimately gone...
Don't know, but I do know that I'd trade any guy Wes Miller has brought in, save Agauma (We need a quality big guy), for him.

I'd take Harvey over McGinnis, or Koval, or Hensley or Newman in a heartbeat.

Former Top 50 recruit, averaged more pt's per minute than Newman's much talked about Sophmore year (pre injury), while shooting 50% from the field and 46% from 3.

Fwiw, I don't blame Miller for Harvey leaving or for not convicing him to stay. That would be both incredibly unfair and plain stupid.

I'm merely pointing this out to show that UCSB plucked a guy from the portal that's probably a better player than every single guy Miller has landed so far.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:03 AM   #134
itsamemario

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRealMick View Post
If Brannen traded Tari, Harvey and gabe for the guys we added I would’ve asked for his resignation. I’m just keeping it real I don’t like the direction so far. We added zero local connected kids, I don’t care about rankings but I expect to have at least 4-5 kids on roster from Cincinnati or in 75 mile radius. We added not one stud but lost two(Tari/Harvey)
Gabe played 5 minutes last year..... Harvey was far from a "stud". What the hell does 75 mile radius to Cincinnati have to do with anything right now? Hes been on the job a month. Its not like there are any 2021 D1 players available right now. I swear people dont use their brains
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #135
itsamemario

Quote:
I don't really know how long he spent at either position, although I was under the impression it was a year on the bench and a year in the adminstration.

To be honest, I don't really care either. My point had very little to do with the length of each tenure.

The fact of the matter is he was a UNCG coach for 8 years, and was the Assistant Head Coach there. He's yet another UNCG guy.

What's funny is I'm getting accused of being dishonest or uneducated for simply pointing out these ties while others are simply representing Newman as Clemson and Roberts as Indiana. Like Newman wasn't commited to UNCG at all. Like Roberts didn't coach there for nearly a decade.

Not sure how much more clear I can make this. None of my complaints or my initial rant has anything to do with these individual names. It's the collective approach that I'm questioning.

When you step up in ranks from a school like UNCG to the University of Cincinnati that absolute last thing I want to see you do is to bring 4 kids from your program and put them on scholarship here.

Out of 9 spots (5 players, 4 coaches) 7 of those have gone to people with direct ties to UNCG. The other 2 include a player from North Carolina where's Wes' dad has a building named after him, and a quality assistant from the South.

I don't dig this approach. He doesn't exactly cast a very wide net. It reeks of Wes Miller thinking that he's still in the Southern Conference and/or having absolutely no connections beyond that region.

Agree to disagree. Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe it just so happens that out of 1,500 players in the portal 4 of the very best options all just happened to be set to be on UNCG's roster for '21. I find that extremely doubtful, but to each their own.
LMFAO. you havent made a single point
Old 05-14-2021, 10:06 AM   #136
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
You should really start doing some research before posting this stuff. Roberts was an assitant coach. New head coach Mike Woodson changed his role....to bring in his own staff. like all coaches do.

Stop with the UNCG players stuff. UNCG would have blown out UC last year
Not sure if your reading comprehension is poor or if you're just blinded by your anger at me for criticizing Wes Miller.

When I said "Assistant Head Coach" I was describing his role at UNCG. He coached there for 8 years and that was his title when he left.

When I brought up Indiana I said his last job there was in an adminstrative role, which it was. When he left Indiana he was in adminstrative role. I knew he went there to be an assistant and left in the administration.

The fact you can definitely say that UNCG would have blown UC out last year tells me pretty much everything I need to know. And that is that you're simply not worth the time.

UC beat Furman last season. Guess who Furman beat? UNCG.
Old 05-14-2021, 10:07 AM   #137
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
I'd take Harvey over McGinnis, or Koval, or Hensley or Newman in a heartbeat.

Former Top 50 recruit, averaged more pt's per minute than Newman's much talked about Sophmore year (pre injury), while shooting 50% from the field and 46% from 3.
That's the whole thing about what you are saying. Miller doesn't want a certain type of player mentality. I don't think Harvey would be a take for Miller on any planet. He doesn't have the intangibles Wes VALUES!

This isn't just about grabbing talent or points. It's also about culture and work and attitude. He's probably passed on a lot of talent so far because they don't fit the philosophy.

So if everyone on the roster is 2 feet in and likes to work and has insatiable desire to win at all cost and likes to dive on the floor etc. Then they are BETTER players for the team and system than some all star prima donna.

Also I doubt Harvey can defend nearly as well as Newman. That is 50% of basketball...defense. So you maybe lose a few points and gain some defense and gain the attitude you are looking for. Now who do you want?
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2021, 10:09 AM   #138
itsamemario

Quote:
Not sure if your reading comprehension is poor or if you're just blinded by your anger at me for criticizing Wes Miller.

When I said "Assistant Head Coach" I was describing his role at UNCG. He coached there for 8 years and that was his title when he left.

When I brought up Indiana I said his last job there was in an adminstrative role, which it was. When he left Indiana he was in adminstrative role. I knew he went there to be an assistant and left in the administration.

The fact you can definitely say that UNCG would have blown UC out last year tells me pretty much everything I need to know. And that is that you're simply not worth the time.

im just in awe at how stupid you are
Old 05-14-2021, 10:12 AM   #139
itsamemario

Quote:

I can play that game too. ECU beat Houston...We beat ECU... Does that mean the two 40 point loses dont matter because we beat the team that beat Houston?
Old 05-14-2021, 10:16 AM   #140
MDW79

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsamemario View Post
im just in awe at how stupid you are
Says the guy who claims UNCG would, for a fact, blown out UC last year.

It's funny, you're the one who has yet to offer a single, verifiable piece of information. Not a one.

Every one of your posts is either filled with nonsense (UNCG would have crushed UC) or insults (I can't wait to call you a moron, I'm just in awe of how stupid you are).

Do you have anything to offer this site? Any facts or opinions of your own? Anything at all?

I'm guessing that answer is no. You're either 14 years old or you're mouth breathing, Mt. Dew chugging, Big Bang Theory watching moron. (Mods, I'm assuming this ok by the insults that this dude is hurling around here.)