Go Back   BearcatTalk.com > Cincinnati Basketball > Bearcat Basketball
Home Register Community FAQ Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-21-2022, 11:21 AM   #41
waterhead
Senior Moderator

waterhead is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by skyblade View Post
My understanding based on what I remember of the Saunders interview is that it wasn't that he was told we were bringing in another PG. He was told that the coaching staff didn't anticipate his role changing. He'd once again be competing for minutes with MAW and the staff expected that MAW would once again win the starting role. They'd also be willing to take the best player available from the portal and if that bumped Saunders minutes down so be it.

Saunders wanted more of a guarantee that he'd end up with a starting role. Just speculating I'd guess he was also told that they valued defense in a starting PG over offense to help to balance DDJ (who is much better on offense than defense) at SG.
I don't know the exact scenario but I would find it hard to believe a coaching staff would tell a player their role likely would not change. I mean that's why you practice and tell them to put in off season hard work...to get better. I am sure he was told he would still have to compete for the job and that there would be more competition coming in. Either way I don't think we got a lot better or worse...we kind of got the same level of players (pg)...and we need that to be better. Mike is not even starting at Utah...so he's in the same boat again. I hope he does well...I think he left on good terms.
waterhead is offline   Reply With Quote